SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Paris Reidhead, Christ suffered hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
theopenlife

Paris Reidhead, Christ suffered hell?

Most of us have listened to Paris Reidhead's sermon, "Ten Shekels and a Shirt".

Many people have a problem with Paris saying that Christ "suffered the agonies of hell". I just wanted to mention that even the apostle's creed acknowledges this language, not because Christ actually went to hell, but that during his passion he endured all of the elements of torture that his elect would have faced in hell - physical, mental, and emotional torment; darkness, and separation from the gracious face of God who had, according to Jesus' experience, forsaken him. Christ did not suffer IN hell, but suffered the agonies OF hell.

What are your thoughts on this?

2008/4/24 2:17Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Paris Reidhead, Christ suffered hell?

Perhaps many have a problem with his wording because some known heresies and false doctrines claim Christ was in hell three days, until his resurrection?

Scripture says he was in heaven the same day he died,

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, [b]To day[/b] shalt thou be with me in paradise.

but many are fooled by these false teachers that teach this other doctrine. Yet it is true he did suffer hell, for me and anyone else who is bought with his precious blood.

he took our place, our punishment, surely we cant deny that. But this is one of those things we have to be careful, we dont have very much scripture even if there are scriptures.

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Act 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

This may be hard to know since we have no really clear passage that really describe what happened. I think the most important thing to remember is

Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Joh 16:7-12 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because [b]I go to my Father[/b], and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

Jesus dident say he was going to hell first,he said over and over again he would die and suffer, but he was going to his father.

that is my take on it :-)

He is Risen ! glory alelujah

2008/4/24 4:53Profile

Re:

a better question is how did he get the keys of hell?

2008/4/24 5:04

Re: Was Christ in Hell?

What does God's Word have to tell us about Christ spending time in Hell? In 1st Peter we are told that Christ "preached unto the spirits in Prison", to the souls that were disobedient during the days of Noah.

The King James:
1 Peter 3:18-22 "18. For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the spirit:
19. By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20. Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
22. Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him."

In Psalms 16 we are told in this Messianic prophecy that Christ's body will not suffer corruption (because he will resurrect from the dead), and that [b]His soul will not be left in hell[/b]
10. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

[b]In the Gospels, Christ tells us that Abrahams Bosom (AKA "Paradise") and Hell were within sight of each other. In Luke 16 we have a description of this:[/b]

19. There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20. And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21. And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23. And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28. For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

After the Resurrection from the Dead, Christ took captivity captive back to heaven. Those referred to in captivity were all of the people that believed God (Genesis 3:15), from the beginning of time. These dead souls, kept in a holding tank in Abrahams Bosom (Paradise), were transported by Christ to Heaven, to be with Him.

8. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10. He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Easton's Bible Dictionary has this to say about Abrahams Bosom:

Topics: A'braham's bosom

Text: (Luke 16:22, 23) refers to the custom of reclining on couches at table, which was prevalent among the Jews, an arrangement which brought the head of one person almost into the bosom of the one who sat or reclined above him. To "be in Abraham's bosom" thus meant to enjoy happiness and rest (Matt. 8:11; Luke 16:23) at the banquet in Paradise. (See BANQUET; MEAL.)

[b]What is the problem with the thought that Christ preached to the prisoners in Hell, while he was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights?[/b] The Work that he did was [b]Finished[/b] when He was on the Cross. This is when He received the Keys to death and hell. He surely took our sin, and since He is God, He dealt with it in a supernatural way. He was not tainted by our sin, He is above sin. He is God. He can do anything and go anywhere. As humans, we surely cannot judge what God can and cannot do, can we?.

[b]I can understand the rejection of Dante's understanding of this issue (Christ fighting Satan and his Demons while he was in hell) because His work was already finished at the Cross. I cannot understand the rejection of the Gospel, that teaches us that He did visit Hell while he was in the middle of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights.[/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

2008/4/24 11:46

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy