SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Revival In the Home: Loving Your Children

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

(Godly Home) Part 15 - Father - the Anointed Teacher by Denny Kenaston

Scripture(s): Deuteronomy 6:4-7

"Description: Brother Denny exhorts fathers in their God-appointed role to "live on the edge of the impossible" by trusting God to work through them. He shares on six holy qualities a father must have to effectively teach his children. Kenaston strongly advocates making family devotions a top priority and shares from personal experience how the Lord has wrought godliness in his home through adopting that....."

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7319&commentView=itemComments

2008/4/21 9:10

Re:

I highly recommend the book [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85726&categoryid=126]Ten P's in a Pod[/url]
Here is an interview of the book that I found on [url=http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Ps-Pod-Million-Mile-Journal/dp/1929241895]Amazon[/url]

[i]"Being a family that wants to honor God and obey His Word ourselves, it was neat to hear the adventures of the Arnold Pent family. They traveled all across North America, often wondering where they would sleep or where their next meal would come from or how they would pay for gas. But they trusted God and He always provided.

As a father, this book gave me a vision for teaching my family the Bible--hearing how much importance Mr. Pent placed on READING the Bible. Before breakfast, and after every meal--regardless of where they were or who they were staying with.

DON'T GET ME WRONG--This is not a boring, stiff, how-to kind of book that makes you feel guilty. It's just a FUN story about a family who was very different from your typical family. Almost every page made our whole family laugh."[/i]

Even though my father has led our family in devotions for many years, this book really influenced us to spend more time reading the Bible. While we don't do as much as the Pents - 30 minutes after each meal - we definitely read more than we did before reading this book.

The book is also an audio book and it was almost better listening to [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85728&categoryid=126]the author read the book[/url] then it was just reading it myself. :)

2008/4/21 14:11

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:
I highly recommend the book [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85726&categoryid=126]Ten P's in a Pod[/url]
Here is an interview of the book that I found on [url=http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Ps-Pod-Million-Mile-Journal/dp/1929241895]Amazon[/url]

[i]"Being a family that wants to honor God and obey His Word ourselves, it was neat to hear the adventures of the Arnold Pent family. They traveled all across North America, often wondering where they would sleep or where their next meal would come from or how they would pay for gas. But they trusted God and He always provided.

As a father, this book gave me a vision for teaching my family the Bible--hearing how much importance Mr. Pent placed on READING the Bible. Before breakfast, and after every meal--regardless of where they were or who they were staying with.

DON'T GET ME WRONG--This is not a boring, stiff, how-to kind of book that makes you feel guilty. It's just a FUN story about a family who was very different from your typical family. Almost every page made our whole family laugh."[/i]

Even though my father has led our family in devotions for many years, this book really influenced us to spend more time reading the Bible. While we don't do as much as the Pents - 30 minutes after each meal - we definitely read more than we did before reading this book.

The book is also an audio book and it was almost better listening to [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85728&categoryid=126]the author read the book[/url] then it was just reading it myself. :)

Quote:

415 min. of audio and for a great price. There is even a sample of the audio [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85728&categoryid=126]here[/url] too.

This is something I would probably play as my kids are lying down at night for bed. :-) The book would be great for devotions too. Thanks, Joy.

2008/4/21 15:27

Re:

"If you desire without loss of time to strike at the root of their pride, teach your children as soon as possibly you can that they are fallen spirits; that they are fallen short of that glorious image of God wherein they were at first created; that they are not now, as they were once, incorruptible pictures of the God of glory; bearing the express likeness of the wise, the good, the holy Father of spirits; but more ignorant, more foolish, and more wicked, than they can possibly conceive. Show them that in pride, passion, and revenge, they are now like the devil. And that in foolish desires and grovelling appetites they are like the beasts of the field. Watch over them diligently in this respect, that whenever occasion offers you may "pride in its earliest motions find," and check the very first appearance of it.

If you ask, "But how shall I encourage them when they do well, if I am never to commend them?" I answer, I did not affirm this. I did not say, "You are never to commend them." I know many writers assert this, and writers of eminent piety. They say, to commend man is to rob God, and therefore condemn it altogether. But what say the scriptures? I read there that our Lord himself frequently commended his own disciples; and the great Apostle scruples not to commend the Corinthians, Philippians, and divers others to whom he writes. We may not therefore condemn this altogether. But I say, use it exceeding sparingly. And when you use it let it be with the utmost caution, directing them at the same moment to look upon all they have as the free gift of God, and with the deepest self-abasement to say, "Not unto us! Not unto us! But unto thy name give the praise!..."

~John Wesley

2008/4/24 11:40

Re:

As we grow in the knowledge of our Heavenly Father, we will realize not simply the benefits of reading His Word, but the necessity. It will be like our daily bread for us; without it we will be malnourished and unable to live. I used to think that the more 'spiritual' I became, the less I would need to read from the Word daily, but it turned out quite the contrary. In fact, I had never realized how starved I had been until the Lord showed me [i]in my condition[/i] the very reason I restricted my time in the Scriptures to this little. May the Lord give us a hunger for the "pure spiritual milk" of His Word; that we may realize our insufficiency and our utter need for His light to shine upon us; and that we may know the exact measure of that need, so that we know when we've had our fill.

2008/4/24 14:41

Re:

Quote:

NotMe wrote:
I used to think that the more 'spiritual' I became, the less I would need to read from the Word daily, but it turned out quite the contrary.

Amen, that is so true. There is so much revelation in a single verse of scripture!

2008/4/25 15:56

Re:

"Next to self-will and pride, the most fatal disease is "love of the world." But how studiously do the generality of parents cherish this in its several branches! They cherish "the desire of the flesh," that is, the tendency to seek happiness in pleasing the outward senses, by studying to enlarge the pleasure of tasting in their children to the uttermost; not only giving them before they are weaned other things beside milk, the natural food of children; but giving them, both before and after, any sort of meat or drink that they will take. Yea, they entice them, long before nature requires it, to take wine or strong drink; and provide them with comfits, gingerbread, raisins, and whatever fruit they have a mind to. They feed in them "the desire of the eyes," the propensity to seek happiness in pleasing the imagination, by giving them pretty playthings, glittering toys, shining buckles or buttons, fine clothes, red shoes, laced hats, needless ornaments, as ribbons, necklaces, ruffles; yea, and by proposing any of these as rewards for doing their duty, which is stamping a great value upon them. With equal care and attention they cherish in them the Third branch of the love of the world, "the pride of life;" the propensity to seek their happiness in "the honour that cometh of men." Nor is the love of money forgotten; many an exhortation do they hear on securing the main chance; many a lecture, exactly agreeing with that of the old Heathen, _____ "Get money, honestly if you can; but if not, get money." And they are carefully taught to look on riches and honour as the reward of all their labours."

~John Wesley

2008/4/25 15:58

Re:

".....But herein a difficulty will arise; which it will need much resolution to conquer. Your servants, who will not understand your plan, will be continually giving little things to your children, and thereby undoing all your work. This you must prevent, if possible, by warning them when they first come into your house, and repeating the warning from time to time. If they will do it notwithstanding, you must turn them away. Better lose a good servant than spoil a good child.

Possibly you may have another difficulty to encounter, and one of a still more trying nature. Your mother or your husband's mother, may live with you; and you will do well to show her all possible respect. But let her on no account have the least share in the management of your children. She would undo all that you had done; she would give them their own will in all things. She would humour them to the destruction of their souls, if not of their bodies too. In fourscore years I have not met with one woman that knew how to manage grandchildren. My own mother, who governed her children so well, could never govern one grandchild. In every other point obey your mother. Give up your will to hers. But with regard to the management of your children, steadily keep the reins in your own hands...."

~John Wesley

2008/4/27 9:31

Re:

"....A wise and kind parent will be equally cautious of feeding "the desire of the eyes" in her children. She will give them no pretty playthings, no glittering toys, shining buckles or buttons, fine or gay clothes; no needless ornaments of any kind; nothing that can attract the eye. Nor will she suffer any other person to give them what she will not give them herself. Anything of the kind that is offered may be either civilly refused, or received and laid by. If they are dis- pleased at this, you cannot help it. Complaisance, yea, and temporal interest, must needs be set aside when the eternal interest of your children is at stake.

Your pains will be well requited, if you can inspire them early with a contempt of all finery; and, on the other hand, with a love and esteem for neat plainness of dress: Teaching them to associate the ideas of plainness and modesty; and those of a fine and a loose woman. Likewise, instill into them, as early as possible, a fear and contempt of pomp and grandeur; an abhorrence and dread of the love of money; and a deep conviction; that riches cannot give happiness. Wean them therefore from all these false ends; habituate them to make God their end in all things; and inure them, in all they do, to aim at knowing, loving, and serving God. . . ."

~John Wesley

2008/4/27 16:12

Re:

"...The generality of parents feed and increase the natural falsehood of their children. How often may we hear that senseless word, "No, it was not you; it was not my child that did it; say, it was the cat." What amazing folly is this! Do you feel no remorse, while you are putting a lie in the mouth of your child, before it can speak plain? And do not you think, it will make good proficiency when it comes to years of discretion? Others teach them both dissimulation and lying, by their unreasonable severity; and yet others, by admiring and applauding their ingenious lies and cunning tricks. Let the wise parent, on the contrary, teach them to "put away all lying," and both in little things and great, in jest or earnest, speak the very truth from their heart. Teach them that the author of all falsehood is the devil, who "is a liar and the father of it." Teach them to abhor and despise, not only all lying, but all equivocating, all cunning and dissimulation. Use every means to give them a love of truth,—of veracity, sincerity, and simplicity, and of openness both of spirit and behaviour..."

~John Wesley

2008/4/28 12:07

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy