SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Life and Enjoyment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: Happy is he ...

Wasn't it Hudson Taylor who said?

"Those who leave the choice to God always get the best".

Clint

2008/4/10 8:53Profile

Re:

WISEVIRGIN,

u have said well........

2008/4/10 11:19

Re:

Quote:
Here's where my question comes in. How do you feel about fun? About our dreams as human beings? About things we would like to do? From the conversations I've seen here, it would lead someone just lurking to think that we have to be somber monks and never laugh or fulfill a dream we have to own a home or become a tailor or take a vacation to Disney World.

The key is [b]balance[/b].

He came to give us life, and life more abundantly. If we can strike a proper balance between spiritual "soberness", and enjoying the life that God has given us, then I believe that pleases Him.

I enjoy nature. Who did God create nature for? First of all He created nature to glorify Himself... but He also created it for our pleasure and enjoyment. Just read the Psalms.

If God did not want us to have any fun at all then He would not have created the capacity in man to have fun. But it's like sex. Sex was created to procreate the human race, and for pleasure and fun between a husband and wife. Out of balance, sex can also ruin a person.

So... if God gives you the where with all to take a vacation to Disney, or the beach, or whatever... go. Enjoy it. Give Him the glory for it. Relax. Even God relaxed on the 7th day. We need it. But all things in balance.

It is possible to do all these things AND glorify God in doing so.

Krispy

2008/4/10 12:24
destinysweet

Re: in regards to the sin of verbal defence

Busted! I resemble that!

2008/4/10 21:15Profile

Re:

krispy , that is also a great post bro......

2008/4/10 21:17
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: Happy is he ...

concerning "OTHERS MAY, YOU CANNOT"

Fantastic! I've been telling my wife about that old tract...now she can read it. Thanks.

2008/4/10 23:25Profile
MrReader

Re:

I wanted to come back and thank you all for your responses. Forgive me for disappearing suddenly. It wasn't out of frustration. It was out of confusion. When things get confusing, I get alone with God until the confusion is gone.

I still don't have an answer. Asking for advice from others has only proven to cause confusion.For whatever reason, I am not hearing God on this subject. Probably because it's the one answer I would like to have more than any other.

I am all for dying to self. I want nothing more than to please God. The problem is, I don't know how to die to this - or even if I should. I have tried in every way I know how. I see both sides of the issue. 1) We're here on this earth and I can't believe that God would have us lead somber lives totally devoid of "fun" or "pleasure" in living it. 2) Dying to self is what we do to become more like Christ and this is our number one aspiration and our heart's greatest desire. This takes precedent above all else.

To be more direct, I do want to have a different job and live in a different state. I'm not desiring wealth or long life or material possessions. But, I don't want to rationalize this, either, in order for my "desire" to be "allowed." Just as all sin is not equal, are all "earthly desires" equal?

I know I'm trying too hard to do what's right. I know this because I'm not free from this yet.
I don't want to go against the Father, but I can't imagine that He wants us to not have "dreams" (I'm using this term for lack of a better one) and to enjoy the earth that He created. Earthly fathers enjoy seeing their children happy and accomplishing things they dream. Wouldn't this apply even more to our heavenly Father who is perfect?

Again, I'm not trying to rationalize this to "get my way." It's not my goal. If I knew God wanted me to stay where I was for the rest of my earthly life, this would no longer be an issue to me. I could easily put it out of my mind.

On the other side, I'm afraid I'm being legalistic and that scares me. I don't want to be scared into no action at all.

Perhaps there are no answers I can get from others after all. Some responses come carelessly and inflict condemnation due to giving a "pat," standard response instead of trying to hear the heart behind the question. Perhaps the wise answers are being lost among them so I can't see them. I just wish I knew what is hindering me from hearing from God on this.

It's a very difficult thing to live our lives for Him and yet live our lives on this earth as if we had the whole of it to live here.

2008/4/18 17:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps there are no answers I can get from others after all

This is the answer to the questions for which there are no direct scriptural directives.

God has wired us to enjoy our work because we are to do it joyfully...remember when God created the world how after each day he looked at it and saw that it was good? Do you not think he took pleasure in seeing that?

Blessings
ginnyrose

2008/4/18 18:34Profile
learn

Re:

Quote:

wisevirgin wrote:
MrReader, As you seek Him I am certain He will satisfy you. What follows are not my words but what I found online: "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." (Pro 10:19) Comment: Usually, those that speak much speak much amiss, and among many words there cannot but be many idle words, which they must shortly give an account of. Those that love to hear themselves talk do not consider what work they are making for repentance; for that will be wanted, and first or last will be had, where there wanteth not sin. In most cases, along with a torrent of words is a flow of sin, which ceases not as long as that continues. Let us take heed of an old rabbinic saying: "he that multiplies words brings on or brings unto sin;"

It is therefore good to keep our mouth as with a bridle: He that refrains his lips, that often checks himself, suppresses what he has thought, and holds in that which would transpire, is a wise man; it is an evidence of his wisdom, and he therein consults his own peace. Little said is soon amended but of many words it is impossible.

"A fool uttereth all his mind, but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards." (Prov.29:11)
"He that hath knowledge spareth his words: [and] a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit." (Pro 17:27) Comment: A man of knowledge is generally a man of few words, he thinks much and says little; and though he may be communicative of his knowledge to proper persons, and at proper times, yet never speaks of it in a boasting and ostentatious way, he "restrains his words"; he puts a bridle on them; and suffers not himself to speak hastily and angrily, and in a reproachful manner, when he is provoked to it. A man of understanding is of an excellent spirit, "of a cool spirit"; in opposition to a warm fiery spirit, but a cool spirit is one that is not soon angry, calm, sedate, and not easily provoked to wrath with a river of words.

A wise man will be of few words, as being afraid of speaking amiss. He that has knowledge, and aims to do good with it, is careful, when he does speak to speak to the purpose, and says little in order that he may take time to deliberate. He spares his words, because they are better spared than ill-spent.
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Mat 5:37 AV)

For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool’s voice is known by multitude of words." (Ecc 5:3)
A wise man once said: "if people were to use ONLY the words necessary to convey the message, then a great silence would descend upon the earth." Communication agencies are becoming extremely rich, just because people ‘want to talk’.
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment. --Ira G.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. – Plato
To speak and to speak well are two things. A fool may talk, but a wise man speaks. --Ben Jonson

After all is said and done, more is said than done. --Unknown

When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing. —Unknown

If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind - give it more thought. --Dennis R.

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence. --Spanish Proverb

Never miss a good chance to shut up. –Will R.

A hotheaded woman told John Wesley, "My talent is to speak my mind." Replied Mr. Wesley, "Woman, God wouldn't care a bit if you would bury that talent."

It is reported that Winston Churchill once said: "if you want me to speak for 5 minutes give me a week to prepare, if for one hour, then I am ready now".

Of Many Useless Words there is NO End --aymon de tigliettem

God knows every word of our tongue before it is even spoken: "For [there is] not a word in my tongue, [but], lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether." (Psa 139:4 )

Be swift to hear, but slow to speak ! Think before we discharge the vanity and sin under our lips. Let us take conscious and specific thought every time we open our mouth.

Remember how Isaiah was distraught after seeing the Almighty God: "Then said I, Woe [is] me! for I am undone; because I [am] a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Isa 6:5 AV)

Lord, you know me better than I myself, keep me from the fatal habit of thinking that I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point.

"The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness." (Pro 15:2 )

"A fool’s lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes." (Pro 18:6 )

"A fool’s mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul." (Pro 18:7 )

"Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? There is more hope of a fool than of him." (Pro 29:20)

2008/7/30 13:40Profile
Candy_3

Wisconsin

Re: Christian Life and Enjoyment

I have struggled with this problem too. I thought I understood denying self. But then after denying self, I became so legalistic (I think this is the word) as to question everything. An easy example: I started wondering whether it is of God to go and sit at the ice cream shop with a dish of ice cream or should I rather stay home and read/study scripture (which I love)? What exactly is considered "in moderation" if there is indeed this possibility? How exactly do I fit all that I do (as a human) into denying myself, if I must indeed follow Him and not my own ways? From what I understand, I am here to preach the gospel unto others, but I have others telling me that the scripture never said that you can't have ONE drink (which I wouldn't do anyway, but just for the points' sake) or go out shopping with friends. Another struggle I've been having: When I got saved I was in school (secular). I couldn't stand it any longer and realized that none of this matters. I will not need it for Him in the end....on the other hand, do I do it so that I have an income? But most things to learn are worldly things...even most christian schools are based on secular positions. The issue that I might be having is that all positions are intended (from man's perspective) to be secular. How do I choose a position that will Glorify the Lord? Or should I just not do any schooling and preach the gospel that way?

...in the end, all I can think of is.

"When are we going to get/be serious about being serious?"

which I think came from Ravenhill. He is right, but I stuggle with the concept of:

"Live in this world, but not of this world".

How is it done? Somewhere I am lost and confused.

2008/7/30 20:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy