SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Life and Enjoyment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrReader

Christian Life and Enjoyment

Hello friends,

I've been lurking on these forums for several months have enjoyed my time here. I like to learn and try not to impose my opinions where they aren't required. I would much rather let the Word speak for itself.

After all of my reading here, I have one question that I've not seen anyone ask or answer and it was enough to get me out of the woodwork to ask it. :-)

My question is very sincere and I am interested in knowing the truth.

There is a lot of talk about revival, the seriousness of the state of the world, Jesus's return and living humbly, respectfully and seriously before the Lord. I firmly believe this, too. We have a job to do here. We are here for His pleasure and to do His will and I want to accomplish that above all else.

Here's where my question comes in. How do you feel about fun? About our dreams as human beings? About things we would like to do? From the conversations I've seen here, it would lead someone just lurking to think that we have to be somber monks and never laugh or fulfill a dream we have to own a home or become a tailor or take a vacation to Disney World.

Isn't it part of God's plan for us to enjoy ourselves, here, as well? I'm not talking about living for ourselves. I'm talking about living for God and fulfilling His will for our lives, but to also not neglect our own desires or emotions that don't conflict with His for us.

I'm conflicted by this due to this forum. I want to please God and live a life that honors Him, but did He create me to deny everything about me? If I want to write a novel and have it become a best seller, is this a bad thing? If I want to leave my state and move to another so I can enjoy different climate and surroundings, is this wrong?

I wanted to ask these things because I think it's an important question to address here, based on the serious tone of these forums. This is not a challenge, in any way. I utterly respect and appreciate these forums and all they offer! They benefit my life and I'm very appreciative! I am asking my questions honestly and sincerely and would like as much feedback from people as possible. Thanks.

2008/4/7 13:53Profile

Re: Christian Life and Enjoyment

Quote:
but did He create me to deny everything about me?

[i]Luke 9:23-25 - 'Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?'[/i]

2008/4/7 15:33
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Dear brother!

It might be that I would rather have my eyes towards fun and pleasure too much then towards God. Where is my desire to draw closer and closer to Him then rather do something fun or enjoy? (God should be my main source of enjoyment!)

Quote:
[b]1 Tim 4:1-4 (ASV)[/b]
1 God's Spirit clearly says that in the last days many people will turn from their faith. They will be fooled by evil spirits and by teachings that come from demons. 2 They will also be fooled by the false claims of liars whose consciences have lost all feeling. These liars 3 will forbid people to marry or to eat certain foods. But God created these foods to be eaten with thankful hearts by his followers who know the truth. 4 Everything God created is good. And if you give thanks, you may eat anything. 5 What God has said and your prayer will make it fit to eat.

But its also so that God made things for our enjoyment. Who am I too not take the things the Lord give with all thanks? (but also take bitter things with thanksgiving!)

Perhaps its not that enjoying and 'fun' is wrong, but its simply trying to 'enjoy life' without God is wrong.

I remember a sermon from Paul Washer where his wife would love to have certain trinkets where Paul would think that those would be trivial. The Lord gave her this while one would not think that it would benefit the gospel. :-)

[edit] I should add that I am fairly untested at the bitter things, hopefully I am able to give thanks to the Lord even then!

2008/4/7 16:03Profile

Re:

Quote:

richardf wrote:
Quote:
but did He create me to deny everything about me?

[i]Luke 9:23-25 - 'Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?'[/i]

Amen!

2008/4/7 16:58
MrReader

Re:

Thank you both for responding. I hope more will take up this conversation because it's not so cut and dry.

I appreciate the scripture you posted, richardf, but I don't think the answer can be as simple as posting a scripture. I've already stated that denying ourselves is a requirement. But, I don't know of any scripture that says "Thou shalt not enjoy thy time on the earth."

If we are to deny pleasure (and I hope I don't have to clarify that I do mean proper pleasures) of all kind in order to "deny ourselves" and not be part of this world, then it would stand to reason that we would deny all of the world's ways. Going to work, for example. Why would we have the drudgeries of this earth placed upon us but denied all pleasure and enjoyment? That's what I don't understand. Wouldn't the Bible be more specific on this if that were the case?

Believe me, I'm not trying to justify having a grand old time. I'm just trying to find some balance in this. If I have a desire in me to become a doctor, some would say that may be what God wants me to become to serve Him. But, what if I have a desire to become a tailor, or an author, or an antique store owner? Do I deny this desire?

How about when it comes to "entertainment." There [i]are[/i] decent movies, are these to be denied? Taking vacations? Wanting to move to another state/city/country, etc.,?

How do we balance these? Prayer, yes. But I think that's too pat of an answer as well.

Again, I'm not trying to find a "clause" to do the things [i]I[/i] want to do. I want to know [i]the truth[/i] and my motives are sincere. It's just that sometimes, conversations here can be so very sombre that it doesn't seem to leave room for an ounce of anything else.

Thank you for your patience.

2008/4/7 17:22Profile

Re:

Is it OK to have fun and enjoy life?

God did make the Aardvark, so He has a sense of humor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark

bub

2008/4/7 17:47

Re:

Hi MrReader,

We've had threads on this topic before. I'll try to find a link for you, as their titles are various.

Quote:
"Thou shalt not enjoy thy time on the earth."

I'm with Richard. Here's some more scripture. But, I'm not saying the Christian life is miserable. In fact, according to the hymnwriter 'Heaven above is softer blue/ Earth around is sweeter green/ Something lives in every hue/ Christless eyes have never seen/ Birds with gladder songs o’erflow/ Flowers with deeper beauties shine/ Since I know, as now I know/ I am His, and He is mine.'

But, the permission to enjoy, comes from within the confines of obedience to the will of God. And this should not be a problem.

[color=6633FF]Psalm 37
4 Delight thyself also in the LORD;
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the LORD;
trust also in him; and he shall bring [i]it[/i] to pass.[/color]
{Commit...: Heb. Roll thy way upon}
[color=6633FF]6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light,
and thy judgment as the noonday.
7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:
fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.[/color]
{Rest = be silent to}

[color=6633FF]Revelation 14:4
These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins.
These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth.
These were redeemed from among men,
[i]being[/i] the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. [/color]

Brother, if God tells you to go to Disney World, you better go in obedience, even if it makes you reduce your food bill, give up your newspaper and cut down on your giving at church. But, if He doesn't give you liberty to exercise your stewardship of His money in that way, you better not go.

Enjoy!

There is no better place to be, than the centre of God's will.

:-)

2008/4/7 18:43
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I want to know the truth and my motives are sincere

I think contentment may play a part in this. Do the things I desire to achieve, possess, or simply use play a part in my being content? Can I have joy without them? Where does my joy come from?

For me, becoming a Christian set me free from many of my old desires. I am now quite happy and content to have very little as far as possessions and status go.

As for fun…this may be different for everybody. I personally love raising plants and gardening. Seeing God at work in creation is something that really satisfies me and I get lots of great sermon and teaching materiel to boot.

I also spend lots of time with my niece and nephew. Little boys are not born knowing how to build paper airplanes. My family is precious to me. I love them…they love me…they make me laugh. I have a tremendous amount of fun with my family.

When I was younger I used to tap my feet and wiggle around, I just couldn’t sit still. I can now sit out on the deck and enjoy God for hours without moving a muscle. I have a peace and contentment that is beyond all understanding.

I once spent a great deal of time designing house plans for my dream home. I no longer do this, for I know there is a mansion waiting for me in glory. My planning is now focused on storing up treasure in Heaven. My Earthly desires have changed. I now wonder what would make Him happy. Seeking His will, in and of its self, brings great joy to me.

I would add that if God told me to build a house or go see Mickey Mouse I would start tomorrow, but on the other hand I am keenly aware that this is not my home. I just don’t care about this place (Earth) like I used to.

It’s kind of funny. The more I quit caring about this life and my happiness…the more I enjoy it.

Just rambling...

2008/4/7 20:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Reader,

I think you have gotten some good answers to your question and am not sure I can add a whole lot but will share my understanding of this issue.

Consider Pro 17:22: "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." A merry heart - what does it look like in reality? Is it not one that is driven by delight? By joy? one that enjoys life? AMong the most interesting and fun people I know were preachers who loved the LORD but also had a fantastic sense of humor! My preacher-grandfather was among them. He loved laughter and all his offspring/descendants are great at it, me included.

The ability to laugh comes from a heart that is at peace with the world and people, one who accepts the foibles of life and laughs. A merry heart knows what is serious and should be treated as such. But a serious heart also knows what things are trivial and are worthy of being laughed at. Having said all this, let me assure you our fun should be in line with the Scriptures' command to love and be considerate of each other, including our fun, our jokes. (Sure! I can laugh at the old joke of a junk yard being a woman's parking lot, but mind if I say that what happens to a male when he balds? His hair goes underground and grows out of his nose and ears? How do I know? Why, I periodically give my husband haircuts ...)

About occupation. Did you ever think about Paul, that great warrior for God who was a tentmaker? Or, Lydia, the merchant? Nowhere do we read where people abandoned their occupations after they came to the LORD. 1Timothy 5:8: "But if any provide not for, his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." From this scripture we see how a man is expected to provide for his household and failure to do so makes him worse then an infidel. And the women are to care for the house as per Titus 2.

About enjoying things - I would like to share a testimony for whatever it is worth - might not apply to all, but this is what happened to me.

Our 25 YO daughter had just died of cancer and after this happened, I lost all my appetite for food. My DH worked to make me eat. Of course, my appetite came back, but another thing that completely left me was interest in 'things'. I cared not a twit for anything. Oh, sure I went about my duties that was required to sustain life as a mother and wife. In the meantime, God was at work to bring me back to living. He started by giving me a desire for some art we had seen displayed at a religious bookstore. It was expensive and we just do not spend money for frivolous things. But the desire was growing that I "wanted those pictures." I prayed about it and then asked my DH about buying one and he said "go ahead'. Wow! He was giving me the green-light to proceed. I was so delighted and then I wondered which one I should choose, I wanted both but no way could I afford both of them. I asked the LORD for wisdom in making this choice. Off to the city I went trying to figure out which one I like the best and would give me the most comfort. I went to this store, found they had sold both but in talking to the owner I told her what I was looking for and how I really wanted both but could not afford them. And you know what she did? She offered to sell me the prints only and then told me to get them framed privately, that this would be less money! I could hardly believe my good fortune! God had made a way where I could get both prints, get them framed for a little more money then one would have cost. As time went on, these pictures have ministered so much to me and others as well. It was the beginning of God leading me to take an interest in things, in life and go on. Today I still do not have an obsessive interest in things and I take this to be God ordained. And I am content.

Now what were the titles of the art? Blackshear's "Watchers in the Night" and William Hallmarks' pic of the Lion with the lamb and dove resting on his leg.

The bottom line in my opinion is that all should be done to the honor and glory of God and in doing so we need to have a cheerful spirit, a joyful spirit, one that will not get bent out of shape when things go wrong, but accept these things as normal and perhaps God will help you to see the humor in it and then laugh.

My opinion for whatever it is worth.

ginnyrose

PS: BTW: I am told that a person who laughs a lot is a healthy person! And I have also observed that the younger generation does not know how to laugh! :-(

2008/4/7 23:23Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

brother mr reader, there are a few verses i would like to share to add to this discussion.

colossians 2:20-23
20 Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21 "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22 These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

colossians 3:15-17
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

romans 14:17
17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,

matthew 11:18-29
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' [b]But wisdom is proved right by her actions.[/b]"

proverbs 9:10
10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

brother mr reader, the answer is truly [b]"fear the Lord"[/b]. i know that may not seem to really answer your questions, but brother allow the Lord to show you that all we truly need is to fear Him. as we fear Him, we will live a life that is true, pure, right, holy and pleasing in His sight. we should not subject everyone to our own convictions when it comes to "matters of the heart", but to seek Him and let His Spirit show us what is right and true in our lives. if we really "fear Him", then we will walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

so should i or anyone else give you a list of can do's or can't do's?? i hope not. legalism never honors God, but listening to His voice and living our lives in reverence and veneration unto Him will lead us in His way everlasting.

hope it helps brother,
phil

2008/4/8 9:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy