SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Real Me: tjservant

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

The Real Me: tjservant

The part of me that is revealed here on SermonIndex is not the part that is seen by most people that know me apart from cyberspace.

I am a fill in preacher and teacher in a very small Arminian based denominational Church. By small I mean we run about 35 when Easter and Christmas fall on the same Sunday, we average about 20. While all of the Churches in my regional association have indoor plumbing, many outhouses are still standing out back at several locations. I know of at least two, there are probably more, that still have only a central wood burning stove that the pastor must stoke early Sunday morning before services.

I teach the ‘old folks’ class and that’s what they call themselves. Lesta just turned 99…her sister is 104 and is currently in a nursing home. She often wonders why God has let her live this long. I tell her for people like me. She is a blessing.

While nothing holds a candle to the Word of God, I have learned much from reading the saints of old. It was through this personal study and the reading of those that have traveled the ‘old paths’ that I became interested in understanding their doctrines and theologies. What made them preach the way they did? Travel as far as they did? Work as hard as they did? What had the Puritans taught and instilled in their children that had them writing prayers that reveal an understanding of God that is often missing in many mature saints of today?

I have studied: holiness/sinless perfection, pre/post rapture, divorce/remarriage, Calvinism and Arminianism and a myriad of other topics such as love, patience, humility and faith. I have learned a lot about the old time saints and some of the most relied upon commentators as well. I felt an understanding of basic doctrines and theologies would add to my preaching and teaching…it has helped immensely.

During these studies I have made comments and became involved in many discussions here on SI. But this is the only side you see. I rarely use words like Arminian and Calvinist, let alone terms like ‘theology’ in my real everyday life. I preach Christ and Him crucified and I teach repent and believe. I preach and teach simple truths to simple people. I wish not to imply by this statement that they have no measure of wisdom, but that they are unburdened by the many potentially confusing topics some discuss here on SI…many of the “old folks’ did not complete school (8th grade).

By looking back on many posts and replies on various topics here on SI it has become very apparent that the ‘knowledge’ or ‘understanding’ we may have of someone is often derived from a very small representation of that person. I just want everyone to realize that in ‘real life’ some of us may not be like we appear here on SI. The mental labels we have for each other could easily be unjust.

I do not wish to appear overly cynical for I am sure there are many being genuinely represented here, but using myself as an example, my desire and fondness of discussing Reformed theology, in hope of gaining more insight into various preachers, teachers, and commentators, may lead some to think of me as a debater, when this is simply not the case. I do not like debate…but am fond of discussion. I just like to study and talk about God. Sometimes this leads to scriptures that are interpreted differently. At this point I like to view it from all perspectives; leading to the numerous studies I have undertook thus far.

I guess I just want to point out that when someone shows a great interest or fondness for a particular subject here on SI we often times do not know why or for what reason. I have many times brought up scriptures and insights that may have defended theologies I do not endorse…all to help gain a fellow brother or sister’s perspective. I do a lot of research and ask questions on a variety of topics…many times on subjects I do not discuss or even mention outside of the SI realm.

Many come to the SI forums for different reasons. I simply love learning more about God. I enjoy discussing differing theologies. This may give some people headaches…not me…I find it relaxing. My ways may seem awkward to some…if not most. I hope I have not been a stumbling block for many. I have been called and labeled many things here on SI…for that I am sorry…it was never my intention to cause pain or strife.

I say all this to clarify the misrepresentation I may have done to myself…though not intentionally.

I love to read about and discuss some of the deeper issues, but that is something I leave on SI. On the outside it’s simple truths…to simple people…like me.

As always I am probably as clear as mud…rambling…

Grace and peace my brothers and sisters…

2008/3/31 18:43Profile
destinysweet

Re: The Real Me: tjservant

Thank you,tjservant for the enjoyable candid honesty displayed in your post...why you prefer to see yourself as clear as mud is a mystery to me..you needn't be so self effacing..Remember Who lives within you. If you really believe you are lacking in clarity...it would be like lacking in wisdom..ask and believe..I will agree with you..God is generous to provide what we need..perhaps it is only your sense of humor at play..but I'll be believing for increased clarity for you..as I am asking for more of it for me. It is good that we be able to express what God puts on our hearts to share.

2008/3/31 21:01Profile

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
The part of me that is revealed here on SermonIndex is not the part that is seen by most people that know me apart from cyberspace.

Thank you for sharing with us a bit of your life apart from cyberspace, brother.

Quote:
By looking back on many posts and replies on various topics here on SI it has become very apparent that the ‘knowledge’ or ‘understanding’ we may have of someone is often derived from a very small representation of that person. I just want everyone to realize that in ‘real life’ some of us may not be like we appear here on SI. The mental labels we have for each other could easily be unjust.

This is so true, brother. And something that we need to keep in mind, there is more to a person's life than their posts on SI. And behind each poster is a life and history that most of us will know very little about. It is good to remember that Christ's command for us to love one another is not based upon our knowledge of eachother but upon the Work of Christ in each of our lives.

Quote:

As always I am probably as clear as mud…rambling…

On the contrary, I think it has helped to make the waters clearer in bringing a greater understanding of where you are coming from and what your desires are in the topics you mentioned. Now I know that tjservant loves to study theology and discuss it with other believers. ;-)

Once again, thank you, brother TJ.

2008/3/31 21:17
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:

What a great post brother. Thank you for bringing all this forward. Half expected to run into you again when Zac was here last month. Wish we could have spent more time together ...

By the way, very clear

2008/4/1 0:35Profile

Re:

so so refreshing, so refreshing... there is a few other people i have not seen around for sometime... i wonder if they have an inner turmoil like this...i am specifically thinking of some guy named Abraham or something like that..

i pray my Father that this place would again be sanctified by your Spirit. Lord, that today would be a day like when the people of Israel sat at gilgal and circumcsied and prepared themselves. i am so aware of my need for self-agrandizment but this is a true prayer Lord king from my heart to You who has the power to draw those that have not been around here on the forums...especially those hearts that have been grieved and left stray from the fellowship of saints here because of mine and my other brother and sisters' harsh words. Lord God bring back us to true fellowship..i pray specifically Lord for UniqueWeb, annie, Adamslot, Corey, and the rest that you do know, for the sake of Your name and your glory Jesus

2008/4/2 8:12
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

The real TJ

Quote:
What a great post brother. Thank you for bringing all this forward. Half expected to run into you again when Zac was here last month. Wish we could have spent more time together ...

A case of mistaken identity here. Thanks tjservant for graciously pointing this out. Had actually met up with [b]lovejt[/b] last year when Zac had come through the area. My apologies to you as well.

A link from last year around that time.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=14488&forum=35&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0]Zac Poonen visiting the USA in February and March![/url]

TJ and JT ... a sort of membership dyslexia on my part. Made even more difficult by shared heart qualities and dispositions.

2008/4/5 7:55Profile
repentcanada

This encouraged me brother TJ. We can definitely get bogged down into much theology and oftentimes forget the simplicity of the Gospel.

God bless,
Ricky

2008/4/5 9:55Profile
psalm1

tjservant wrote;

"By looking back on many posts and replies on various topics here on SI it has become very apparent that the ‘knowledge’ or ‘understanding’ we may have of someone is often derived from a very small representation of that person. I just want everyone to realize that in ‘real life’ some of us may not be like we appear here on SI"

That is sorta humorous,this happens to me a lot.
I think we picture each other a certain way,and we project ourselves a certain way,and that combination can produce an etirely,totally warped conclusion?

David

2008/4/5 12:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy