SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I need help finding sermons/compilations!!!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

I need help finding sermons/compilations!!!

Hey everyone,

I need help finding sermons and/or audio compilations on the subject of seeker-sensitive, but specifically on using modern unscriptural methods to draw people to Christ. I am particularly looking for material from David Wilkerson (or Carter Conlon), Leonard Ravenhill, but other godly speakers are welcomed too.

I need clips from Wilkerson about rap music too. Does anyone know any sermons where he speaks out about these things specifically? And if you do, do you perchance know what time in the sermon he starts (so I don't neccesarily have to listen to every whole sermon potentially posted if unneccesary).

Thanks so much and God bless.

2008/3/30 2:21

Re: I need help finding sermons/compilations!!!

Cant think of what sermon it is off hand, but be sure to check out this article.
[url=http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1980s/ts870803.html]Driven to Darkness - David Wilkerson[/url]

Here is a small piece of it.

While they speak so sweetly of Jesus, and weep when they mention the name, and tell of a hunger to walk in the ways of Christ - Paul said of them, they "are past feeling and have given themselves over unto lasciviousness [lustfulness], to work all uncleanness with greediness" (Ephesians 4:19).

That is what I saw last night at the music festival - a group of musicians who were pied pipers, leading many young people right into the arms of Satan with their smooth words about Jesus, about celebrating forgiveness - then with an energy of flesh and carnal greediness hard to fathom - they put their stamp of approval on a paganism right out of the devil's treasury. They were saying, by their music and their worldly, ghastly performance - that Jesus and the garbage of this world are compatible. They wore two masks - one of sincere followers of Christ, the other of performing clowns. With their faces lifted up to God, they cursed Him by their blasphemous mockery. Isaiah prophesied of such, "...they shall curse their king and their God, and look upward" (Isaiah 8:21). What they preach and practice are two different gospels.

They are deceived, and consequently they are deceivers themselves...

[b]Now - it's probably too late! They have rejected the reproof of prophets and watchmen who really preach the truth! They are like those Paul warns about, who have become so lost in spiritual ignorance and blindness, they are past feeling conviction. They are confirmed in their worldly ways! They are so blind they believe they are honoring Christ and blessing multitudes of youth the church "can't reach."

and

Hell must be ecstatic at the spectacle of ministers not just abdicating to the immoral music standards of the young - but actually promoting what only demons should be promoting. Who brings these worldly bent groups into the church for concerts? Who encourages the youth to embrace the music of devils? Who ridicules evangelists and prophets and watchmen who cry out against it? Who puts it on radio, T.V. and who promotes the concerts and festivals that are now degenerating into satanic showcases? It is the pastors, youth ministers, Christian radio and T.V. station owners and managers. They will all live to see the wicked harvest of their soft gospel and compromise - AS THEIR VERY OWN CHILDREN FALL AWAY TO THE SPIRIT OF THIS AGE.
[/b]

- David Wilkerson

2008/3/30 13:54
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1865&commentView=itemComments]Finished with the World[/url] [i]Keith Daniel[/i]

Contains some ... 'musical' items of note.

2008/3/30 16:34Profile
HeartSong

Christus Victor! - Art Katz

38:54 Because the powers want to take the things of God that are eternal & absolute and turn them into that which is passing and transient for mankind – and take that which is passing and transient and make that absolute . . .

39:54 They are the gods of this world and they have won our youth . . .

41:34 The gods of this world seducing, raping, arresting a whole generation and the church is impotent, not even recognizing that in this culture are these devious spirit powers . . .

42:50 So that we play their music, using our lyrics, but their beat, and they love that – they love to triumph over Christ’s people . . .

43:18 There is a vendetta to negate God as God . . .

2008/3/30 17:33Profile

Check out, "The King's Highway" by Keith Daniel

http://downloads2.sermonindex.us/14/SID14046.mp3

"How we Got From Bach to Rape-Rap - Worldview and Music" by Kevin Swanson

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=450712134

Here is a list of sermons on the topic of "Music"

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?keyword=music&entiresite=true

2008/3/30 17:55Profile

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2090]Another Jesus[/url] by Carter Conlon

2008/3/31 2:19

Re:

Thanks everybody. Will be checking these out!

If anybody knows more, please keep them coming.

Specifically looking for Ravenhill now, and more Wilkerson...

2008/3/31 14:47
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

It is good to see that Wilkerson is basing his opinion on more then just the music but on the message being preached and then using that to affect his opinions of the music –

Quote:
“leading many young people right into the arms of Satan with their smooth words about Jesus, about celebrating forgiveness”

“They are deceived, and consequently they are deceivers themselves...”

“They will all live to see the wicked harvest of their soft gospel and compromise”

Now if they were preaching the uncompromising truth of the Word of God then we could assume Wilkerson in his discernment would have had a different view apart from his apparent dislike of rock music of which most here know and probably have or have heard of testimonies of how God has used such music to touch and change their own lives and the lives of others.

The only thing that will ever draw anyone to Christ is the Holy Spirit Himself and one of His methods is the un-compromising preaching of the Word of God in the power and unction of the Holy Spirit. Now as far as drawing people to hear that preaching, that would be a matter of ones own convictions – Booth and the early Salvation Army would march down the street with circus style brass band – Finney would do similar and they received condemnation from the religious and the Pharisee’s of their day. To condemn someone for using a certain method to draw a crowd whether it be food, music, dollar bills for trivia questions (like Ray Comfort) drama, dance or whatever as long as it wasn’t sin, would be legalistic, judmental and narrow minded.

The same goes for music – God has used many different forms of music to reach the masses with His word over the centuries – from pub songs in William Booth’s times to hymns, rock, country, heavy rock, and even modern rap. In fact many of the Christian rappers are today’s most uncompromising and hard-hitting holiness preachers, and God has used their music to tear down the false prosperity gospel, to destroy the false easy believe-ism modern gospel of our day and to touch and change the lives of countless young and old of all classes. Again to condemn the style of music that God is using whether it be pub songs or rap would be extremely legalistic, judgmental and again, narrow minded.

I myself have used rap and/or dance on the inner-city street of Detroit, Kansas City, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Skid Row and in the projects of Southern California to draw crowds and preach the truth. But most importantly the uncompromising truth of the Word of God, repentance, holiness, the Cross and the pure gospel truth is always preached in the power and unction of the Holy Spirit and many lives are touched and changed by the power of God as seeds are planted, watered, and glory be to God, harvested! There is a man who lives down the street from me who goes into Mexico with a band and uses some of the most awful, sensual (in my opinion), horrible Mexican cultural music I have ever heard. But when the words are translated he sings about sin, righteousness, judgment and repentance. He draws crowds and preaches repentance and judgment. He may dislike rap every bit as much as I dislike his mariachi/salsa type music, but woe be unto me or him to come against the pure gospel truth from being preached based on our musical or cultural likes or dislikes. I know some people personally who have degenerated to the point where they think the only acceptable type of music is hymns instead of singing and praising God with a pure heart. And even worse they push their own convictions on others and views others who sing and praise God with a pure heart as “less then holy” because of the style of music in which they sing. If one has a personal conviction of hymns only then by all means just sing hymns, but to push your personal conviction onto others is again extremely legalistic and narrow minded.

We need to focus on the message being preached not the method used to draw those who are being preached to. If the message is the uncompromising truth of the Word of God preached in the power and unction of the Holy Spirit, then woe be unto you to condemn the way or even the reason those being preached to were gathered together. The same goes with music – we need to listen to the lyrics or message being preached and if it is a message of true repentance, holiness or a message that is in line with the Word of God then woe be unto you to condemn the style of music in which that message was brought.

If one has personal conviction against a certain type of music then don’t listen to it or use it, or a method to draw a crowd then don’t do it, but God forbid you put God into a legalistic box and push your convictions onto others.

If you are making a compilations or gathering info against a false gospel or false message being preached then praise God and amen!!! But if you are making a compilations or gathering info against what you feel in your own opinion and personal conviction to be a wrong method (unless the method is sinful) or a certain style of music then you are walking a dangerous and slippery slope of legalism, judgmental-ism, criticism, Pharisee-ism, self-righteousness and spiritual pride.

Quote:
Some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives. They preach because they love me, for they know the Lord brought me here to defend the Good News. Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. But whether or not their motives are pure, the fact remains that the message about Christ is being preached, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice.
(Php 1:15-18)

If the Truth is being preached we should be as Paul and rejoice in the fact that the Christ is being preached whether we agree with the methods, motives, and style of music or not. Let’s focus our attention on those preaching a false gospel and a false message and not nit pick in our fleshy legalism and self –righteousness over the styles and methods of those who preach the uncompromising truth.

Here is a compilation from brother Zac Poonen where he talks about this sort of thing

ARE YOU HOLDING HANDS WITH SATAN OR JESUS – Zac Poonen
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=16597
God bless,

Patrick Ersig
www.revivalarmy.com

2008/3/31 17:10Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Hi Josef,

Below is a video by Keith Daniel "A Warning to America" and in it, towards the middle, he goes off on a little tanget as he expresses his true feelings toward "gospel rock" and "gospel rap" in a very straightforward, no-nonsense way. You'll have to dig around to find it. If you want pure, vintage Wilkerson with all the stops pulled out against the evils of Christian rock, you need to read "Set the Trumpet to Thy Mouth" with the forward by Leonard Ravenhill who described the book, incidentally, as a "volcano"...if that tells you anything.

;-)

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4224

2008/3/31 20:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy