SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Church of God? (the denomination)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
repentcanada

Church of God? (the denomination)

Does anyone know much of the Church of God, that would be willing to share with me? I have just heard of the church within the last month and am trying to understand their beliefs in theory and in practice.

http://www.churchofgod.org/

Thank you,
Ricky

2008/3/26 12:54Profile

Re: Church of God? (the denomination)

My experience has been that the Church Of God is somewhere between the Assemblies of God and Pentecostal Holiness. They preach Biblical salvation, but put an unscriptural emphasis on tongues and prophecy. Depending on the individual church there can be some legalism like whats found in the Holiness churches.

It's a very prevalent denomination here in the South, but I'm not sure about the rest of the US.

Some snake handling churches call themselves "Church of God", but there does not appear to be any link at all between them and the denomination. Most snake handling churches dont belong to any denomination at all, and are extremely independent... and are cults, obviously.

Thats what I know about them.

Christian, certainly. Over the edge on some things... yep.

Krispy

2008/3/26 13:20
repentcanada

Re:

thanks brother Krispy, I am up here in Edmonton, Canada and the fellowship here has nothing to do with the things you have stated.

I really appreciate your comments,
Ricky

2008/3/26 13:56Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Ricky...

My parents and I used to attend a Church of God (Cleveland, TN) congregation in central Tennessee. Like Krispy said, the Church of God is a lot like the Assemblies of God -- except that they are typically a little more reminiscent of the classical AG churches. They are classical Pentecostals in both doctrine and practice (particularly in regard to holiness and the baptism of the Holy Spirit). The denomination (or "fellowship" as they prefer) actually predates the Assemblies of God (which was founded in 1914). The Church of God started as a loose evangelical/holiness sect that adapted its Pentecostal aspect several years later.

The Church of God's [url=http://www.churchofgod.org/about/declaration_of_faith.cfm]Declaration of Faith[/url] illustrates the common creed of the adherents. However, the Church also offers a glimpse into its [url=http://www.churchofgod.org/about/mission_vision.cfm]Mission and Vision[/url], as well as codes for [url=http://www.churchofgod.org/about/practical_commitments.cfm]Practical Commitments[/url] and [url=http://www.churchofgod.org/about/doctrinal_commitments.cfm]Doctrinal Commitments[/url] (which are simply suggestions for practical living and a rationale for doctrines).

From my personal view, the local Church of God congregations resemble classic Pentecostalism – but with very conservative views on dress, music, etc… Whereas many large AG congregations resemble some of the large Megachurches (in administration, activities, worship, charismatic practice, etc…), the larger Church of God fellowships that I have attended are far less “modern” (in regard to music, activities, etc… -- if that makes sense). The medium-sized congregation that my parents attended (of about 750) were very strict (at least in unwritten codes) in regard to music (no drums, guitars, very little upbeat music, etc… in that church), dramas (they didn’t happen), evangelism (preaching only) and dress (wear your “Sunday best”). The services were almost always devoid of neo-Pentecostal and charismatic “manifestations” (such as being “slain in the spirit” or verbatim words of “prophecy,” as well as “holy laughter” or “dancing in the spirit”) which have become quite commonplace or acceptable in many moderate to larger AG churches that I have visited. In fact, most of the Church of God congregations that I have attended hardly resembled AG or neo-Pentecostal churches at all in that aspect.

Like the smaller and more traditional Assemblies of God congregations, many of the Church of God fellowships that I visited often utilized the wall banners and teaching material offered by the Church headquarters (in Cleveland, Tennessee). In addition, most of the local congregations seem to emphasize home and foreign mission efforts. My parents’ congregation supported more missionaries than one would expect from a moderate-sized congregation. The congregation still sang from a hymnal, still had separate “prayer rooms” and still shied away from the hasty emotionalism of many modern churches.

Alas, I don’t consider myself a typical “Pentecostal” – although I was saved while my family attended an Assemblies of God church. I feel “at home” in any congregation where the believers sincerely love the Lord. I don’t feel ostracized by tongue-talkers or non tongue-talkers. From my experience, I feel that many local Assemblies of God congregations place a far greater amount of emphasis on the [i]manifestations[/i] of the gifts of the Spirit than the typical Church of God congregation. As such, I have always felt more comfortable attending a local congregation that didn’t attempt to silence the gifts, but still uses a little more vacillation in regard to use during local meetings.

Anyway, I hope this helps. My parents moved away from the congregation that they attended (and the one that I attended during the last couple of years in high school). I enjoyed my time there, even though I felt that the congregation was a little "sleepy" at the time. I can't say that I would recommend a visit to the local CoG church, but it could help you to understand the beliefs and practices of that local congregation somewhat better.

:-)

2008/3/26 14:22Profile
rickwebb

Michigan

There are so many different streams of the Church of God. I am a part of the Church of God (Anderson Indiana) that is NOT a Pentecostal church.

Usually the Church sign will contain a description of association such as (Cleveland Tenn.) or (Anderson, Ind.) . There are many independent churches.

If it happens to be one of the Anderson Churches…I might be able to help a bit.

Rick Webb
Michigan

2008/3/26 17:13Profile
repentcanada

I spoke to the pastor of the church here in Edmonton, Alberta today and was very encouraged to go through the doctrinal statement with him and hear his heart for the Lord. This Church of God is the one which originated back in the 1880's out of Cleveland, Tennessee.

I really appreciate all the feedback on this thread, and hope for more.

2008/3/26 22:38Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: Church of God

repentcanada,

I am a pastor in the Church of God, headquarters, Cleveland, Tennessee. The assessment by Brother Chris is very fair. The Church of God started out being a holiness church very much in line with the old time Wesleyian Methodists, and in fact was started by praying for revival within a local Baptist church by a small group of about 7 men. You can read the history by Dr. Charles Conn, "Like a Mighty Army". Later some Methodists that were hungry for revival joined these men in prayer. God began to stir folks for revival and some of the local churches were very resistant. The group formed a "holiness union" that later became the Church of God. They tried to do everything in keeping with the Bible including the name of the church. Revival finally came and with it an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in which there were some who spoke in tongues. You have remember that this was long before what is called the "charismatic" movement. They did not know exactly what was happening to them, only that they had been hungry and thirsty for God, and God's Spirit manifested Himself through them, and they found their experience confirmed in the book of Acts. There followed a season of great revival in which many souls were saved and many churches were formed, missionaries were sent out, and then there was a crisis in leadership that caused them to have to take a long and hard look at organizing the church as much as possible according to the book of Acts.

In the early days of the Church of God, I do not believe you could find another church that tried to adher to scripture any more closely. The General Assemblies every two years held at the first in Cleveland, Tennessee and then at various places across the country were times of great spiritual awakenings where every member of the church was encouraged to attend if at all possible and certainly all the pastors and preachers. Each state also had "campmeetings" like the old time Methodist campmeetings, where revival and evangelism was preached. But like most denominations, with growth and organization, a lot of the fire and evangelism was lost.

Now, sad to say, many of the churches have strayed a long way from their roots and the teachings and the "practical committments" have changed a lot over the course of the last couple of decades. It was not legalism and a legal system of do's and don'ts but an agreed upon commitments made by the General Assembly that held the church together in very close fellowship for many years, but when the committments were broken the General Assemblies reflected that. Now instead of the very close fellowship (in fact we used to have not only the General Assemblies, and State Campmeetings, but also District fellowship meetings at least once every three months) every church sort of held to the General Assembly minutes to a degree but became somewhat of an autonomous organization of its own. All properties belong to the General Assembly, but in practice and local teaching now you may have a very conservative church on one side of town and a very "charismatic" church on the other side. One side of town may believe in old time praying and seeking God and straight preaching, singing hymns and spiritual songs with a choir or with the congregation, while on the other side of town they may be having a "dance team", multiple choruses, and preaching that resembles one of the TV evangelists. No more district meetings that had everyone on the same page, and state meetings are poorly attended (at least in this area) except for the ministers and their wives... and the General Assemblies are far more sound and fury than substance.

But there are still those who hunger and thirst for real revival and for authentic outpourings of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of the fruits of the Spirit and a changed life that reflects the character of Christ first and foremost above any gift. One of the first principles of the Church of God was "we believe in the whole Bible rightly divided, the New Testament as our only rule for government and discipline". Thank God there are still some that believe in the whole Bible and will not shun any part of it nor use any part of it for a hobby horse.

It has been a godly heritage for me. I was one of the fortunate ones who had a pastor who had been around in the early days of the outpouring of the Spirit of God and revival and for the 40+ years that he pastored our church never lost that zeal for missions, for evangelism, and for holy living. He lived an exemplary life with his wife of 55 years and passed away three months ago. May God give me the grace to build well on that heritage.

I am not an apologist for the denomination. Like a lot of organizations it all depends upon the local church. I hate that it has become that way because the fellowship among the local churches used to be so precious and the youth camps and campmeetings were a sheer joy... but when the world comes into the church and the church becomes like the world... there is no more fellowship, just society. Art Katz has a lot to say that describes so acurately what has happened to what they call the "classical pentecostals" and the "charismatic movement". So very much that is either dead orthodoxy or hyped (to repeat myself) sound and fury signifying nothing.

God bless you in your quest for what is real.

Clint

2008/3/27 0:37Profile

Re:

Thank you, Clint, for sharing that. That was very informative. I hope my rabbit trail into the snake handling thing didnt offend you... Here in the mountains there are still a few churches like that, and several are called "Church of God", and I was trying to make the seperation between them and the denominational Church of God.

Anyway... very good definition. Thank you.

Krispy

2008/3/27 8:08
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Bro. Krispy,

No offence taken at all! Every church, it seems in so many denominations or home churches or whatever these days seem to have come to the state of the days of the book of Judges unfortunately "doing that which is right in their own eyes", and is only as good as its pastor/leader... hence the need of a great revival that puts us all on the same track regardless of backgrounds and minor doctrinal differences.

That is the refreshing thing about this site... there seems to be a hunger for just that kind of move by God. And when it comes, as I hope and pray that it will, I believe we will see many more of Mr. Ravenhill's ilk who will not be concerned about denominations but rather whether or not they really know God.

Clint

edited to add this PS to Krispy: BTW I am sure you are aware that the Church of God had its beginnings in your state... some places like "Coker Creek" and "Camp Creek". And I appreciate you differentiating between the denomination and the "snake handlers". Glad I missed all that :-D .

2008/3/27 9:05Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Thank you, Clint, for sharing that. That was very informative. I hope my rabbit trail into the snake handling thing didnt offend you... Here in the mountains there are still a few churches like that, and several are called "Church of God", and I was trying to make the seperation between them and the denominational Church of God.

Anyway... very good definition. Thank you.

Krispy

I think that a lot of the snake handlers are Oneness or "Jesus only" and the church of God we are talking about are trinitarian.

2008/3/27 10:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy