SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : An opportunity, please pray for me.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
theopenlife

An opportunity, please pray for me.

A surprising opportunity was put before me recently to be involved in documenting an event in the Christian community. I accept as no coincidence that for the past month I have been discussing and considering my earnest desire to use whatever skills I have to benefit the Church in some way. As some know, I have almost abandoned my professional photography career because of the inherent compromises in the industry. Even some of the Christian weddings I have shot have proven to be grieving situations. Yet my passion for photography has not at all ceased and I wonder if the Lord would either use it or remove it altogether!

Lord willing, I still hope to produce meaningful impressions from the worldwide ministry, both with photography and writing. I have thought often of making documentaries or an online journal to show the face of our church world-wide. Much of the distracted Western Church has not seen our impoverished brothers smiling with spiritual joy. I saw it in Russia. Perhaps this is an opportunity to go forth?

Yet I have certain reserves for theological reasons. I want to be careful with what I grant approval of, and with what ministers I associate myself. I do not believe any single denomination of our One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, whether Baptist, Reformed, Methodist, etc., has all of the truth resting under its umbrella alone. Yet there are some issues which are non-negotiable and in these instances I have a trepidation about compromising in what I represent. Please bear with me as I give an example.

For instance, I believe that my personal salvation is contingent upon persevering in faith until the end. If I do not persevere, I shall not be saved. However, I also believe that all of the invisible elect are secure from the foundation of the world and are preserved to glorification in Christ. It is the balance of "being careful to maintain good works," for "without holiness none shall see God," and also "of those you have given me, none are lost," for "those He sanctified, He also glorified."

This is to say that I have difficulty aligning with anyone who teaches truly born-again people may "lose their salvation". Granted, in this life we cannot determine whether someone else is truly regenerated, therefore we must tell them, "if you are elect you will persevere by God's grace until the end," and at the same time, "you must persevere or you will be damned." This provides the scriptural balance of dependence upon God's sustaining grace rather than upon our carnal endurance and works-based justification.

There are, however, persons who would teach that Christ later disowns some of his adopted children; that His seed does not abide; that the fruit of His people does not remain; that some are snatched from His hand; saints for whom He interceded are lost; sinners whose penalty He bore yesterday shall bare it again in hell tomorrow. This error thrusts the Christian out upon his own ability to remain in Christ. After all, if Christ is equally committed to all true saints in helping them to endure, and yet some at last fall away, what then makes one to differ? Why only his works! For Christ was equal in intercession towards all and yet one has attained where another fell.

To teach the sobering doctrine that even the most sincere professor may yet apostatize is biblical and necessary. However, to espouse a notion that the elect may finally perish is both heretical and blasphemous. If for this I am branded a Calvinist, let the iron be heated seven times hot to leave the mark well set.

I do hope that I have not displayed a needlessly argumentative or haughty spirit regarding such doctrines, but they are matters of salvation and so deserve most stringent care. I do not write any of this with specific persons in mind. Many ministries have been frequent blessings to me and I am indebted to people of various backgrounds. I simply want to be level about my concerns in hope that you would pray more knowledgeably for me in regards to this decision.

Thank you.

Seeking prayers, Michael Spotts:.

2008/3/25 5:07Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re: An opportunity, please pray for me.

Michael, what I've learned is to look around and see where the anointing of God is resting. Is He Lord there? Take every denomination you like. There was a time when the Lord's anointing and power was there but after a few years it just disappeared.
I don't care so much about a certain denomination or a certain doctrine. (As you said, there are some issues which are non-negotiable.)
If we look in Revelation there were 7 churches very close to each other as distance but only some of them had the lampstand fully lighting.
I hope you understand my point.
May God give you wisdom to understand His will for your life.

2008/3/26 10:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Michael,

About the best advice I can give you is to listen to the red flags that occur in your spirit. These flags arise when you ask the LORD to teach you to be sensitive to his Spirit, when you want to learn to be obedient to Him in all things. AND you have to ask the LORD for this sensitivity every day. When you have the Holy Spirit operating in your life He will teach you what you need to know.

Brother, this is a lifelong process, so do not get discouraged when you mess up. The worst thing that can happen then is when you fail to learn from your mistakes, when you fail to confess wrongs and make things right. To fix it means you confess, repent and start over. Applies to all of life...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/3/26 10:57Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Vasilef and Ginnyrose, thank you for taking time to reply. I agree, there are many scruples which may be overlooked in our working together - how else would sermonindex exist!? - and its not as though I'm the fountainhead of orthodoxy. Woe to you all if I were!

I suppose what I need most is prayer for wisdom.

Thank you and all others very much.

2008/3/27 3:11Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Brother Michael...

Praying for wisdom. Be encouraged!

Jeremiah 29:11-13
Matthew 11:28-30

:-)

2008/3/27 9:48Profile

Re:

Hey Michael,

Praying for you brother. If you want to talk more, PM me. We're not too far from each other. I'm in Tijuana, Mexico, so if you're looking for fellowship, it's not impossible for us to meet up. God bless!

www.puregospeltruth.com

2008/3/27 13:49
theopenlife

Re:

Thanks, Josef. I PM'ed you.

2008/3/28 6:05Profile

Hi Michael,

I've been thinking about your question for several days, as I've been away, and I'd like to discuss a little, this that you said:

Quote:
I have a trepidation about compromising in what I represent.

I do agree with your concern, but, you do not represent the 'right' theology any more than many others. It is not about 'what' but [i]Whom[/i] we represent; in this context, it is [u]He[/u] who governs which jobs you accept, and as you follow in His steps, you shine as a light set on a hill - because you [u]know[/u] Jesus. How did He deal with the differences in 'theology' of those He [u]served[/u]? He [i][b]loved[/i][/b] them.

However, from the point of view of your professional reputation, I suggest you consider precisely how the contract you offer should be worded, to reflect the life of God in you, and - which may be as important - you find a short slogan or logo which must be published alongside your work, which makes clear that the employer chose to consult you, and that they bowed to your advice. The bottom line is, you don't need to take on work from anyone who expects you to 'represent' their views to the world, unless you also can endorse those views, such as they are. In your mind, they may be defficient or incomplete, but if they are not misleading because biblically they are [i]untrue[/i], I believe you can walk with the Lord where He leads you.

Carter Conlon recently preached [url=http://media.tscnyc.org/mp3/2080323S1.mp3]'From Captive to Captain'[/url], about Paul's journey in the ship which wrecked, and one of his points was that sometimes you have to go along with people in their mistakeness, to be available when they are ready to turn to you for the word of God. Love and grace enable you to care for them in their disaster - which in Paul's case led to all of the men turning to the Lord. Disaster? By whose definition?

Basically, you serve the Lord God Almighty, and you need to trust Him to lead you in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. And He will.

2008/3/31 9:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy