SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : No Revival without ignoring Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

No Revival without ignoring Revival

I never want to be so busy with the things of this world that I neglect what is dearest to my heart, the Lord Jesus.

It is strange then, that I would argue that we, as Christians, must neglect Holiness, we must ignore humility. Dietrich Bonhoeffer touched on a magnificent truth in his book "Letters and Papers from prison." He raises the subject of "Unconscious Christianity."

He never got a chance to fully expound this great truth that he had learned, being killed shortly after raising the subject.

The essence of unconscious Christianity is being unaware of your true spiritual state. By that, I do not mean your standing before God, nor do I mean carnal Christianity, if there is such a thing. I mean, a man must never believe that he has arrived. How many of us have thought we have learned a lesson, only to fail the very same lesson days later.

Pride is so pervasive. You see, humility and holiness can only be arrived at, or walked in, as we walk in the presence of Jesus. When we walk in His presence, what do we feel? Speaking for myself, I feel completely humbled "what is man that thou art mindful of him oh God." It is an astonishment to me that the God of all creation knows me by name, feelings of unworthiness flood my soul and I fall on my spiritual face (sometimes my physical one as well)

What great things the Lord does when a man does not even realize he is being used. The greatest humility comes when we look full into His face. When we look at worship, worship vanishes, when we look at humility, pride finds a way in. In looking at any of the virtues of Christianity, one must take his eyes of Jesus and look to the left or to the right in front or behind.

Only that which flows from an uninterrupted gaze on Him is real, all else is the shadow of the object. Granted, the shadow of the Lord is more powerful than all that can be seen, and one can even enjoy the heat from the sun in the shadow. Yet, the glow from the face of Moses, was not the glow of a man who stood in the shadows. I believe, if we choose as a church, that the Lord is about to pour out unadulterated light, not diffused through the efforts of man.

There is one way to achieve this, we must ignore thoughts of revival, for when we are thinking of revival, we are thinking of the result, not the object. One cannot focus on the result and expect results. This is the way of the world, not the Lord. Only by focusing on Jesus, can any significant move be achieved, and achieved is the wrong word, for revival is merely a by-product of a people crying out to and focusing on Jesus.

We, as a people, have greatly neglected Jesus. How many worship songs today do not mention His name? Personal pronouns litter today's modern worship. It is time to return to complete focus on Him. "If my name be lifted up," Jesus said that He would draw all men unto Him. Let us seek the Giver, not the gift, not the result, just Jesus.

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com

2008/3/21 15:15
bluinos

Re: No Revival without ignoring Revival

I’m glad you said that, and have shared with us what is truly in your heart. I would like to you to listen to Paul Washer.

A Sermon That Has Angered Many, Examine Yourself (2Corn 13:5 1John)

I encourage you to hear it, if you haven’t already.

Once, you have listen to him, share your thoughts, i would like to hear them.

2008/3/21 16:12Profile

Re:

I will listen to it brother and get back to you..........Frank

2008/3/21 19:27

Re:

Hi bluinos.

I listend to quite a bit of the sermon, and I liked it. Brother Paul seems to have much passion and is a brave man. Actually I have written on this subject myself.

Once, shortly after I was saved, I mentioned to a southern Baptist that he reminded me of my Catholic background. He was insulted. What I meant to say to him was that people who are born into the church, raised in the church, told that they are saved or that they gave their hearts to Jesus when they were three, but were living like the devil, were no better than the Catholicism that I was now no longer a part of. So , yes, a warning to all who were raised up in the church, whether it was Baptist, Penetcostal or whatever, you must examine yourself. You will not get to heaven as a grandchild, there is no grandchildren in heaven, only children of God.

I believe that one of the main reasons that the Church is in such a state, is that, for the most part, a lot Churches, across the board are Pastored and run by people who grew up in the church, especially youth Pastors. My closest Christian brothers are those who were born again as adults. The guys with all the discernment seem to be those who came to Christ as adults, on their own accord. George Whitfield really came to prominence when he sent forth a letter stating that most of the clergy of his day "knew nothing of the new birth." If that letter was sent out today, it would perhaps be as true now as it was then................Frank

2008/3/23 16:35
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: No Revival without ignoring Revival

Unconscious Christianity is simply realizing we
must be fully yielded and surrendered to the Lord
and be willing to be instruments to accomplish
His purpose and will!!

2008/3/23 17:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy