SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Watchman- What of the Threshing Floor?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Watchman- What of the Threshing Floor?

The threshing-floors were constructed in the fields, in a high open area to be exposed to the wind. The floor was a level, circular area prepared by first picking out the stones, and then wetting the ground, tamping or rolling it, and finally sweeping it. A threshing floor was a very hard and flat surface. Sometimes they were made on top of a huge flat rock. A border of stones usually surrounded the floor to keep in the grain. The sheaves of grain which have been brought on the backs of men, donkeys, camels, or oxen, are heaped on this area, and the process of trampling begins. In some places farm animals, commonly oxen or donkeys, are tied together and driven round and round the floor to crush the grain under their hoofs. In other places two oxen are yoked together to a threshing machine, the bottom of which is studded with pieces of basaltic stone. This 'drag,' on which the driver, and perhaps his family, sits or stands, is driven in a circular path over the grain. The supply of unthreshed grain is kept in the center of the floor. Some of this is pulled down from time to time into the path of the animals. All the while the partly threshed grain is being turned over with a fork. The stalks gradually become broken into short pieces and the husks about the grain are torn off. This mixture of chaff and grain must now be winnowed.

Winnowing is done by tossing the grain- chaff mixture into the air so that the wind may blow away the chaff and impurities. When the chaff is gone then the grain is tossed in a wooden tray to separate from it the stones and lumps of soil which clung to the roots when the grain was reaped. This process is called sifting. The grain is now piled in heaps and sealed. This process consists in pressing a large wooden seal against the pile. When the instrument is removed it leaves an impression which would be destroyed should any of the grain be taken away. This allowed the government offers to keep account of the tithes and enabled the owner to detect any theft of grain. Until the wheat is transferred to bags someone sleeps by the bundles on the threshing-floor. If the wheat is to be stored for home consumption it is often first washed with water and spread out on goats' hair mats to dry before it is stored in the storehouse.

[b][size=xx-small]"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:  Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather the wheat into the garner; but he will burn the chaff with unquenchable fire" (Mattew 3:11-12)[/size][/b]

Look upon the fields for they are ripe (white) unto harvest! Are we sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness, sowing at the noon time and the early eve? Have we taken to the field to bring in the Lord's harvest? I believe if we are ever going to see a sustained move of God in our nations we are going to have to decide RIGHT NOW that we are going to take to the fields and bring in the harvest!

Why does it matter? It matters for this cause- if the sheaves are not being brought to the threshing floors of God's working within the Church- the churches of our land soon cease to be threshing floors. When this happens then preachers and pastors begin wanting to protect the 'crowds' that ARE coming to services each week and the message begins to get compromised. On the other hand, if the saints were bringing in the sheaves each week to service- the ministers would feel little reason to fear low numbers and crowds and would feel the liberty to preach without fear or favor. God would do his working of seperating the wheat from the chaff as the minister preached an uncompromising message and the Spirit of God gently blew away the ungodly (as it were) as they would not tolerate the wind of Holy Ghost conviction. This process should have been happening in every generation since the cross. Every season of harvest should have yielded wheat for the master in His 'barn' (Heaven) and the chaff ultimately cast into hell (unquenchable fire).

The chaff are the ungodly (Psalm 1:4) and in the process of taking this gospel message into the world we are bringing both wheat and chaff together to the Lord to be threshed by His word and seperated by the gentle wind of the Holy Spirit. All the unsaved are the enemies of God by nature and the children of wrath- but when afforded the opportunity to see God for who He is and follow Him by faith- they may at that moment 'chance of wheat.'

Our job is to bring in the sheaves and allow the word to press men and women upon the rock Christ Jesus to be broken under the mighty weight of their sin. Christ then begins to perform the winnowing (fan is in His hand) and allow the sifting (testing). When we cease to do this the churches are a bad mix of chaff and wheat. It appears that we have more than we do- as the process of brokeness and winnowing and sifting is brought to a near standstill for fear of loosing "what little we see." Had we taken to the fields God would have filled our churches with wheat - week after week- here a little and there a little until our churches would be pure grain (purer grain).

Why do revivals fail after they get started? The saints quit the fields and the machine breaks down. Slowly but surely compromise leads to compromise and we end in declension. How did it all begin? When the saints quit the fields.

God Bless,

-Robert

**Notes**

International standard Bible Encyclopedia

2004/6/16 8:38Profile
Rahman

Re: Watchman- What of the Threshing Floor?

Brother Robert,

Please accept my humble compliment toward your obvious love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ... I'm daily refreshed by the devoutness of so many of God's remnant on this SI forum...

Your reference to the threshing floor instantly made me think of the incident in1Chr.13:

[1] And David consulted with the captains of thousands and hundreds, and with every leader.

BUT NOTICE DAVID DIDN'T CONSULT WITH THE LORD ...

[2] And David said unto all the congregation of Israel, If it seem good unto you, and that it be of the LORD our God, let us send abroad unto our brethren every where, that are left in all the land of Israel, and with them also to the priests and Levites which are in their cities and suburbs, that they may gather themselves unto us: [3] And let us bring again the ark of our God to us: for we inquired not at it in the days of Saul.

[4] And all the congregation said that they would do so: for the thing was right in the eyes of all the people.

NOTICE ... RIGHT IN THE EYES OF ALL THE PEOPLE, BUT WAS IT RIGHT IN THE EYES OF GOD? ...

[5] So David gathered all Israel together, from Shihor of Egypt even unto the entering of Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kirjath-jearim. [6] And David went up, and all Israel, to Baalah, that is, to Kirjath-jearim, which belonged to Judah, to bring up thence the ark of God the LORD, that dwelleth between the cherubims, whose name is called on it. [7] And they carried the ark of God in a new cart (MAN'S WAY) out of the house of Abinadab: and Uzza and Ahio drave the cart.

[8] And David and all Israel played (HAD CHURCH) before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.

[9] And when they came unto the threshingfloor (THE SEPERATING PLACE) of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for the oxen stumbled. [10] And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God.

[11] And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzza: wherefore that place is called Perez-uzza to this day. [12] And David was afraid (NOTICE SOMEONE HAD TO DIE FIRST) of God that day, saying, How shall I bring the ark of God home to me? (NOTICE, NOW HE ASKS GOD THE QUESTION HE SHOULD HAVE ASKED IN THE FIRST PLACE).

The Lord wants to perform a Pentecost manifestation anew in us. He wants to prepare and enable us (as New Testament children of Kohath) to handle His ark (His Shekinah presence) by His rules of religion (staves thru the rings), and not ours (atop a new cart) even though we think we’re doing it right. To analogize, Christianity is a contact sport. It requires that we touch God first, “His way”, thru our fervent community prayers, constant individual repentance, holy living and cheerfully abundant giving, out of pure love for Him period, and for no other reason. Then He touches us back! Like the Levites with the ark He requires that we personally bear His salvation, glory, cross and commission daily. Our continued attempts to conveniently carry His awesome load atop our “new cart” will soon prove even more detrimental to us.

All it will take is one Divinely placed bump (judgment begins in the house of the Lord) in our road (at the threshing floor).

King David, his congregation and especially Uzzah found this out the hard way (2 Sam. 6: 1-15 - Prov. 14:12).

Maybe if the Lord starts dramatically striking down folk for handling His religion wrongly it'll get our attention ... especially that of Church leadership ...

As the formula to Revival, most often 2 Chron. 7:14 is preached from the pulpit, thereby putting the onus of “repentance” first in the pews. But I hear our Lord saying NO! - that’s not the ingress to the sparking of true Revival. True Revival starts with the leadership, His Pastors, His Elders, His Bishops, and their ministerial staffs. True Revival starts with Joel 1:13,14, then carries over to Joel 2:15-17. True Revival starts in the broken hearts of His men in the pulpit ... FIRST!!!

I AM POSTING THIS IN CAPS BECAUSE I MEAN TO SHOUT, TO THE TOP OF MY LUNGS! ... THE PROBLEM WITH CHRIST CHURCH STARTS AT THE TOP ... THE LEADERSHIP ... THE PRIEST HOOD ... THE PREACHERS ... THE PASTORS ... THE UNDER SHEPHERDS ... GOD'S HAND PICKED ANNOINTED CALLED TO TEND HIS FLOCK ... JUST BECAUSE A CONGREGATION/CHURCH CALLS FOR THE MAKING OF A GOLDEN CALF FROM IT'S AARON/PASTOR DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE PASTOR HAS TO COMPLY!!!!! ... PASTORS ARE CALLED BY GOD, TO ADMINISTER OVER HIS FLOCK BY HIS RULES AND NOT THE FLOCKS, OR THEIR OWN!!!! ....

Ok, I feel better now ... The prophet Joel summed it up this way, and no matter how much our Lord wants His preachers to hear Him, so many are adamant because God points His finger of blame primarily at them ... WHY? ... Because He appointed them LEADERS, and He expects them to LEAD!

Joel.1:

[10] The field (WORLD) is wasted, the land (WORLD) mourneth; for the corn is wasted: the new wine is dried up, the oil languisheth. [11] Be ye ashamed, O ye husbandmen (PASTORS); howl, O ye vinedressers (PASTORS), for the wheat and for the barley; because the harvest of the field (WORLD) is perished. [12] The vine is dried up, and the fig tree languisheth; the pomegranate tree, the palm tree also, and the apple tree, even all the trees of the field, are withered: because joy is withered away from the sons (WORLD) of men.

[13] Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests (PASTORS): howl, ye ministers (PASTORS) of the altar: come, lie all night in sackcloth, ye ministers (PASTORS) of my God: for the meat offering and the drink offering is withholden from the house (CHURCH) of your God.

[14] Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly (CONGREGATION), gather the elders (PASTORS) and all the inhabitants of the land (CONGREGATION) into the house (CHURCH) of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,

[15] Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.[16] Is not the meat cut off before our eyes, yea, joy and gladness from the house (CHURCH) of our God? [17] The seed is rotten under their clods, the garners are laid desolate, the barns are broken down; for the corn is withered.

Joel.2

[12] Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye (REPENT) even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: [13] And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn (REPENT) unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

[15] Blow the trumpet (CALL TO REPENTANCE) in Zion (THE CHURCH OF CHRIST), sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly (CONGREGATION): [16] Gather the people (PEWS), sanctify the congregation (CHURCH), assemble the elders (PASTORS), gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.

[17] Let the priests (PASTORS), the ministers (PASTORS) of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people (CHURCH), O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?

NOW THIS IS WHAT THE LORD WILL DO WHEN HIS PRIESTS-MINISTERS-PASTORS-PREACHERS DO WHAT HE WANTS THEM TO DO IN THIS DIRE SITUATION ...

[18] Then will the LORD be jealous for his land, and pity his people.

[23] Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month. [24] And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil.

[25] And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. [26] And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

[27] And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

[28] And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Brother Robert you posted:

((( Why do revivals fail after they get started? The saints quit the fields and the machine breaks down. Slowly but surely compromise leads to compromise and we end in declension. How did it all begin? When did the saints quit the fields. )))

My opinion is that Revivals fail because Church leadership (PASTORS) attempt God's religion their way and don't consult the biblical formula to recieve the power from on High to lead their congregations into solemn assembly ... Thank God that I've just seen a program where five Pastors of different denominations have gotten together and are discussing Joel's admonition towards REVIVAL ... That's the small hand shaped cloud I see on the horizon ...

It may seem like a looooooonnnnnngggggg time to we humans for God's answering so many prayers about reviving His church ... But as He said to me at the beginning of 2004 ... "Now is the time" ... and I firmly belive Him! ... We're all about to be soaked in His latter rain, and I for one can hardly wait!!! ... Amen

2004/6/16 10:56Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Bro. Rahman,

Its weird;- looking at your post looks like my sermon book for the last 6 months. Taking the gospel in on a cart! Wheew! Thats a sermon in itself.

I agree with the pastor and preacher thing to the maximum. I would only add that once the ministers do their part- the people have to be doers of the work and not just hearers. The pastor thunders off the uncompromised word and the people take to the fields. When the Spirit of God comes upon people- they have to become doers of the work. There is only so long that you can cast the net inside the boat. We need to cast the net on the other side of the wall (of the Church that is).

Of coarse dwindling numbers is NEVER an excuse to compromise a message. I believe that the Spirit of Revival that God sends is for the purpose of service. When the mighty rushing wind blows again we must be about the Master's business.

I had a friend close for me Sunday morning and he told the leadership of our Church that if the man of God preaches righteousness- for every 6 people that walk out the front door in disgust- God will send in 12 in the side door!

You ought to hear a message I preached a few months ago, "Staying the Hand of the Fanner." It really goes along with what your talking about. When we compromise the word to the place where we have stayed the hand of Christ to purge His floor we are in deep trouble!

Preaching repentance is like being the tip of a drill bit or the teeth on a saw blade. This message has been going on for some time now and God is doing a work. He is purging His floor. We have to get into the fields and keep the flow of harvest coming in to keep the machine going so the Lord can gather the wheat into His barn in our generation. I figure, I can only thresh the same stalk for so long. :-(

As Pentecostals the people like to shout the fire off until their zeal is all but gone- we need to contain it and expend it on our service in the fields.

God Bless! I enjoyed that word. We have to get the Gospel off of the cart of humanism!

-Robert

2004/6/16 11:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy