SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Book: a shepherd looks at PSALM 23, by Phillip Keller

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Book: a shepherd looks at PSALM 23, by Phillip Keller

I would like to recommend an excellent book that gives scriptural insight into PSALMS 23 by a shepherd. Because most Christians today are used to an urban lifestyle, understanding the life of a Shephard like David has been helpful to understand what he was writing. My favorite part is understanding how sheep when looking for comfort in a soft place lie down and end up on their back's with their feet in the air unable to getup and walk. This is called "cast" and shephards have to actually pick up their sheep and get them back on their feet again. When sheep are "cast" they are vulnerable to bears, courags, wolves, etc. and can be killed. Kinda like when we get prideful and "comfortable" and lie down we can become vulnerable to the enemy's attacks. Very helpful and encouraging book!

I would recommend getting a copy of this book and reading it.

Grace,
Doug

2004/6/16 6:44Profile
riki

Sweden

Re: Book: a shepherd looks at PSALM 23, by Phillip Keller

I agree, it's a wonderful book! It brings a whole new perspective to Psalm 23 and its setting, so to speak. It's amazing to discover the depths of that wonderful psalm, you just love it all the more after reading this book. :-) I actually read it in Swedish a few years ago and [b]this very evening [/b]I added it to my bookbag on the internet site I'm ordering from!! What a coincidence, huh? ;-) God is so cool.

2004/6/17 15:41Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I agree, it's a wonderful book! It brings a whole new perspective to Psalm 23 and its setting, so to speak. It's amazing to discover the depths of that wonderful psalm

AMEN! I recommend the older version that is not abridged but both are well worth the read. Praise God yes we really do need a revelation of Psalm 23 from a perspective of the culture of a Jewish shepard. What a blessing to be able to read heavenly books such as these.

2004/6/17 15:47Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Hi Greg,

How do you which verion of the book you have? My book was published in 1970. Where can you find the unabridged version?

Thanks.
Doug

2004/6/17 15:53Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Biography
The late W. Phillip Keller was born in East Africa and always loved the out-of-doors. He was trained in agronomy and subsequently spent many years on ranches in British Columbia. He lived among and observed sheep and their relationship to the shepherd. Out of this rich, practical experience, came the best-selling book from which this book was excerpted.

Quote:
How do you which verion of the book you have? My book was published in 1970. Where can you find the unabridged version?

Yes you have the first printing brother, I assumed you had a newer version such as the common one below [i](note: it isnt bad, I just try as principle to get the first printing of anything I read so that its the closest to the authors intentions of what hes getting across.)[/i]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0310214351/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/102-9140755-8288158?v=glance&s=books&st=*

2004/6/17 16:03Profile
riki

Sweden

Re:

Greg, are you sure that the version you mentioned is really shorter/abridged? To me it seems that it is just a reprint..?

I found a collection of four of his books though. Could this be worth getting instead perhaps?

[url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/152096189?item_no=0868&netp_id=154501&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW]Phillip Keller: The Inspirational Writings[/url]

2004/6/17 16:59Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Greg, are you sure that the version you mentioned is really shorter/abridged? To me it seems that it is just a reprint..?

Actually Brother Riki I think you are right. :lol: sorry about that. It is a great short book though, and yes his 4 book series would be interesting to puruse.

2004/6/17 17:13Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy