See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Perfection of Suffering

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Perfection of Suffering

Perfection of Suffering
"The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me" (Ps. 138:8).

There is a Divine mystery in suffering, a strange and supernatural power in it, which has never been fathomed by the human reason. There never has been known great saintliness of soul which did not pass through great suffering. When the suffering soul reaches a calm sweet carelessness, when it can inwardly smile at its own suffering, and does not even ask God to deliver it from suffering, then it has wrought its blessed ministry; then patience has its perfect work; then the crucifixion begins to weave itself into a crown.

It is in this state of the perfection of suffering that the Holy Spirit works many marvelous things in our souls. In such a condition, our whole being lies perfectly still under the hand of God; every faculty of the mind and will and heart are at last subdued; a quietness of eternity settles down into the whole being; the tongue grows still, and has but few words to say; it stops asking God questions; it stops crying, "Why hast thou forsaken me ?"

The imagination stops building air castles, or running off on foolish lines; the reason is tame and gentle; the choices are annihilated; it has no choice in anything but the purpose of God. The affections are weaned from all creatures and all things; it is so dead that nothing can hurt it, nothing can offend it, nothing can hinder it, nothing can get in its way; for, let the circumstances be what they may, it seeks only for God and His will, and it feels assured that God is making everything in the universe, good or bad, past or present, work together for its good.

Oh, the blessedness of being absolutely conquered! of losing our own strength, and wisdom, and plans, and desires, and being where every atom of our nature is like placid Galilee under the omnipotent feet of our Jesus. --Soul Food

The great thing is to suffer without being discouraged. --Fenelon
"The heart that serves, and loves, and clings, Hears everywhere the rush of angel wings."
From todays Streams in the Desert

2008/3/13 8:02Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: Perfection of Suffering

AMEN.

I am reminded of a portion of scripture from 1 Corinthians 13, "...Love bears all things, endures all things."

Despite what conditions a soul finds itself, it is at rest in Christ...

Wurmbrand stated this, "Men will not be rewarded on how much they suffered, but by how much they loved."

How significant, that in LOVE man can endure all things!

Praise God, that in His love Christ endured the cross, despising its shame...

Let us also arm ourselves with this same mind!

2008/3/13 9:17Profile

Re: Perfection of Suffering

Quote:
In such a condition, our whole being lies perfectly still under the hand of God; every faculty of the mind and will and heart are at last subdued; a quietness of eternity settles down into the whole being; the tongue grows still, and has but few words to say; it stops asking God questions; it stops crying, "Why hast thou forsaken me ?"

Thanks for sharing that.

2008/3/13 10:21
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

There is a liberty in our limitations that grants a powerful peace...that the world can not touch.

It's a wonderful thing to come to the END of self, so that He might reign.

dm

2008/3/13 11:42Profile
destinysweet

Re:

A blessed thing happens,indeed, when we stop fighting the suffering and simply embrace it,grateful for the One who has promised us the ability to bear all things in His love.

The challenge is to remember this yielding surrender,this willing act of embracing in each type of suffering. It does me little good if I can say I know this in all of these previous types of suffering but I am still kicking and and complaining/resisting and moaning about this one thing that wounds me so..this is one of the lessons of the past few weeks..I am embracing it with a joyful heart..knowing how peaceful is the fruit of this righteous surrender.

Fountains of forgiveness..pour over us and fill our hearts with understanding and wisdom from on high..make us ever ready to forgive for they know not what they do.

May we stand embracing God's perfect will,always! Sharing in His suffering..being counted worthy to suffer for righteousness sake! We are blessed!

2008/3/13 19:42Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy