SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Polemic Theology: How to Deal with Those Who Differ from Us

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I suppose the Anna baptist chose their religion just to be contentious?

The Anabaptists did not have a perverse obsession with signs and wonders and outward manifestations like laughing and tongues and falling down and whatever else. Have you read their London Confession of Faith of 1646? It's the most sober, biblically-sound collection of statements I've ever read. This was the Anabaptist charter and you never once get the impression they were thinking "outside the box" unless you took into account their tenet concerning infant baptism.

The "box" you mention, the true box is a holy life in Christ Jesus, a humble, charitible life of prayer and meditation, of growing in all knowledge and wisdom and grace in God's ways. We ought to never leave this "box"; it is the others who are outside and need to come into a proper, wholesome standing in Christ. Charismania only runs surface-deep, and anyone who takes up the challenge to walk soberly in Christ is soon called beyond the gold dust and laughing.

Most believers have never even surrendered their life to God or read their Bible from cover to cover or wept over the lost...and yet these same want to go into funeral homes and raise the dead. This is akin to a four-year old fastening a blue beach towel around his neck and pretending he can fly like Superman; the desire is there, but the power to actually fly isn't.

The deeper your knowledge grows in the ways of God, the less alluring the hunt for signs and wonders become. The sign you seek rather becomes the daily inner working of Christ in your spirit, the wonder becomes the testimony of that progess actually being worked out! The most wonderful miracle you can behold is the unseen one God secretly works within as you become fashioned more and more into the image of Christ.

2008/3/12 20:19Profile

Re: Polemic Theology: How to Deal with Those Who Differ from Us

Quote:

roadsign wrote:

more here: [url=http://www.founders.org/FJ33/article3.html]Polemic Theology: How to deal with those who differ from us [/url]

I went over the entire article today and found it very, very good. Really, everyone here on SI that takes place in active discussions [b]should[/b] read this article and at the very [i]least[/i] pray about incorporating some of these principles into the discussions that take place here on SI. I feel like I have a [i]long[/i] ways to go in learning how to properly deal with those who differ with me, but this article has helped me to see where my weak points are and what I need to work on.

Thank you, Diane, for sharing this! I'm so glad you did! :-D

~Joy

2008/3/12 20:55
psalm1

Re:

Paul West, your insults and belittling.....I hope you are doing that for yourself because those things dont impress me.

Too bad you see the working and power of the Holy Spirit with such disdain.

do you also see Elisha catching the mantle of Elijah as a cheap superman trick?

the 5 wise virgins were wise due to the fullness of their lamps.

the oil is a type of the Holy Spirit.

But why would someone forbid or belittle anyone seeking oil?

David

2008/3/12 21:02Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Paul West, your insults and belittling

Friend, how have I insulted and belittled you?

2008/3/12 21:06Profile

Re: Polemic Theology: How to Deal with Those Who Differ from Us

Hi Paul,

I've been thinking about your definition of the box, and I think yours is more like the Ark. The people in the Ark were alive (still\already), because of faith.

I think they were the ones who gladly thought outside the 'box' of David's reflection, in which the people who need [i]revival[/i] need to be willing to leave their carnal thinking (mindset\box), and get into God's thinking\mindset.

Although I've never heard the point made within the context of [i]revival[/i], that the 'religious' may be 'offended', I've certainly heard it preached here at home in the context of evangelism. Reading from John 15, the evangelist said 'If we love one another as it says here, and go out and preach the gospel, [i]knives will be out for us[/i]'. He was referring to maliciou opposition from other local [i]Christian[/i] groups.

To be honest, although I was shocked, I was also encouraged to believe God.

2008/3/12 21:09
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I've been thinking about your definition of the box, and I think yours is more like the Ark. The people in the Ark were alive (still\already), because of faith.

No, I am not talking about faith. I am talking about the mind of Christ and living in a right relationship with God, free from any polluting doctrine or the need to engage in disputatious topics for the sole sake of polemics.

This was the original premise of our discussion, but I do understand your point.

2008/3/12 21:14Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
The deeper your knowledge grows in the ways of God, the less alluring the hunt for signs and wonders become. The sign you seek rather becomes the daily inner working of Christ in your spirit, the wonder becomes the testimony of that progess actually being worked out! [b]The most wonderful miracle you can behold is the unseen one God secretly works within as you become fashioned more and more into the image of Christ.[/b]

Very reassured to read this bit indeed!I perceive this as one's truly"...growing in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ..." Also,Christians must not neglect the importance to read/study the entire Bible from cover to cover life-long. Without the diligence in learning The Living Word through the entirety of The Written Word daily, one could easily be misled, by all/any sorts of "signs and wonders". Satan can produce signs and miracles , distort the Word of God, but only God the Spirit can work miracles in the spirits of those who are the called and who love Him.

Thanks,mamaluk

2008/3/12 22:02Profile
roadsign

Re: Here's a great example - and that's no laughing matter

What is:

Quote:
seeking oil

to one of one brother is:
Quote:
polluting doctrine

to another brother.

What a perfect opportunity to apply the principles put forth in the article, "Polemic Theology"!

Looking forward to real-live application in the future brothers David and Paul! You are both precious in his sight, and without a doubt have something valuable to teach us all regarding the process of dealing with polemic issues. I trust that you will find the article most helpful.

May the Spirit enable and bless you.

Diane

2008/3/13 8:22Profile

Re:

[u][b]1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us WISDOM from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption [/b][/u]

Proverbs 8
1Doth not [u][b]wisdom[/b][/u] cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

2She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.

3She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.

4Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.

5O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

6Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.

7For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

8All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

[u][b]11For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. [/b][/u]

12I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

13The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

14Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.

15By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.

16By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.

Katy

2008/3/13 9:15

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
Paul West, your insults and belittling.....I hope you are doing that for yourself because those things dont impress me.

do you also see Elisha catching the mantle of Elijah as a cheap superman trick?

the oil is a type of the Holy Spirit.

But why would someone forbid or belittle anyone seeking oil?

David

Hi David

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Paul said on one thread that he was Pentecostal or Charismatic, in which case that can't be true.

Is that so, Paul?

In any case, there is no question whatever here, of treating the workings of the Spirit with distain, but there [i]is[/i] disagreement on whether certain things [i]are[/i] the workings of the Holy Spirit or not.

Quote:

No, they were wise because they also had spare oil with then in a vessel. This was [u][i]in case the night of watching and waiting for the Bridegroom proved too long for their lamps to last out[/i][/u].

As indeed happened. They made it to the Feast because they had not only oil, (as you say, representing the Holy Spirit), but a store for the dark days and nights of waiting that came before his return to claim his bride.

That's what we will need in the times that are ahead.

And we have to be sure that the oil is unmixed with anything else.

We all know what happens if the fuel we put in our cars is contaminated.

This I think is Paul's concern, not to reject all the workings of the Spirit, but to recognise the conterfeit "bad oil" that could dim our lamps permanently.

in Him

Jeannette

2008/3/13 9:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy