SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 2 probs I see w/the Emergents

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Zionshield

Ohio

2 probs I see w/the Emergents

It appears to me that the Emergent movement is very attractive to people who don't understand that the modern church is lacking the life of our Lord because she refuses to go through the cross into resurrection life. On the one hand they appear to be trying to find another carnal substitute for dying daily. On the other hand they seem to be focusing on how the world would want to be evangelized...especially throwing the pulpit and the preacher away for a group setting in a coffee house.

2008/3/11 22:46Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: 2 probs I see w/the Emergents

Incidently, I think its great to be discontent with this present mess we're in (the church in general) ... as these are...but its the old paths we need. Mclaren has said that they're not sure where they should stand on homosexuality so they will set that issue aside to deal with for five years and then perhaps have an answer then. Who is buying this stuff? :eek:

2008/3/13 23:09Profile

Re: 2 probs I see w/the Emergents

I fully agree, with your point about the denial of our cross in "the emergent church" as one of the omissions, in general, of this phenomena, that always lead to error and death. A focus on the body, and the prosperity and well being of the body, over being changed into His Image, and pleasing Him, is the crux of this deception. One is genuine worship, while one is not. "It's all about us", and our rights, to be happy, healthy and prosperous, vs. the honor and worship due Jesus only. Suffering, often, is viewed as foreign, and evil, and to be avoided at all costs. Biblical discipline, and dying to our evil natures, DAILY, [often painful indeed] are rejected as archaic, and uncool, so, in logical order, out goes preaching that exposes sin, selfish lust, and rebellion [my right to happiness on my terms]. This is replaced by theology that is no longer Blood driven and mercy received, balanced by our own repentance unto a Holy God, to a gospel that speaks of Earthly standards of numbers, the more the better, happy families, prosperity, and good living. Your at your best, when your BLESSED kind of thinking. These are often pulpit driven, so it's not the setting, it's the LIE.. The come as you are, barefoot to yuppie, coffee and do-nut crowd are the same as the Cadillac to private jet crowd,,, :IT'S ALL ABOUT ME. MANY OF THESE EMERGING MOVEMENTS ARE SIMPLY REACTING TO THE "ESTABLISHMENT", AS THEY SEE IT, IN A MORE HIP WAY...COOL..when in reality only the cross that kills you, is able to present you to a God that is able to resurrect you.........As far as the preacher goes, one man was never intended to rule the body, but an equal plurality of Shepherds, and that certainly opposite of the professional clergy of today, who justify their place over the church. The Biblical pattern, which does work, has Shepherds that do three BASIC things. They feed the church of God, they PROTECT the church of Jesus, and they are passionate that every member would be brought into absolute Lordship under their Head, Jesus alone.....The head of every man is Christ, NOT the "pastor". Remember, the meeting has always [BIBLICALLY] been behind the church, not in front, or the focus. Behold, how they love one another! was their witness, not "come to church!"?? They met daily in homes, and ate dinner. This was church. The Community preceded the meeting, not, as it is today. Generally, their is no community, only the Sunday meeting......and I know multitudes who don't know anyone in their "church", that have been there for decades. This is what the PROFESSIONAL clergy/"LAYITY" has produced, around the world. When man takes control, the Holy Spirit is quenched, always. Traditions like these have destroyed every move of God. .....Now, saying that, without true Shepherds, established by THE LORD HIMSELF, the church will perish. WE desperately need holy men called, and who will lay their lives down for His own, for oversight. Read acts 20, and see what Paul saw the pride of man would accomplish, IN MEN HE HIMSELF ORDAINED, AND THE TREMENDOUS PRICE HE MODELED, AND EXPECTED EACH HOLY SHEPARD TO LIVE UP TO!.....Much of the so called emergents are young sheep fed up with the established and dead fellowships under man's control, and are searching for life in the famine. I have mercy on them, and surely wolves in more hip clothing are devouring them. I believe that before the end, the Lord's desire will come, fueled by a white hot, and true Apostolic ministry, around the Earth. It will then be that the church is about His possession, not the "ministry"...Tom Watkins.

2008/3/14 17:53
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:

Amen Brothertom. It is wonderful to hear that. I agree completely. I think these people and others are wanting the community you mention. They are looking for ways of creating such a fellowship...out of such a desire came our cell groups (my opinion). I think we ought to desire the fellowship of the brethren...certainly it is the result of being in fellowship with Him...to love each other and want to share our lives. The cross is difficult, the way hardpressed and narrow. So many looking for sustitutes. I like what Eldredge said about one of the streams of the 4 streams in "Waking the Dead". Comparing to the fellowship of the ring in "Lord of the Rings". It is vital to accomplish His purpose in us. Godspeed Brother.

Randy

2008/3/15 22:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy