SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is any man able perfectly to keep the commandments of God?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Is any man able perfectly to keep the commandments of God?

Quote:

loveyouall wrote:
What do you think scripturally?

Basically only [i][b]God[/b][/i] can fulfill the commands of God!

Only one [i]man[/i] ever could - and did - Jesus.

That's why He [i]had[/i] to be God, yet also become man. There was no other possible way to save man.

Adam was created perfect, yet he failed. Even though perfect he apparently had no resistance to temptation, any more than Eve did.

Jesus is come as the second Adam to fulfil perfectly what no-one else could or can fulfil.

And if we receive Him He is able to fulfil the commandment in and through us, by the Spirit.

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/3/3 11:11

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:
Solely, I wish to make one comment.

This: that the moment a question is phrased so that it throws the gaze of the believer onto himself or another man, the battle is lost. Of course a man without Christ cannot keep the commandments of God perfectly; this is why those who hunger and thirst after righteousness come to Him, look to Him, seek only His face and sink themselves with joy into His death; for here is life eternal; here is the end of all striving; here is the power in which He desires to keep us free from all sin. Will we walk in the light? Will we take up the tools of our own death with the kind of desire with which He desired to die for us that we may be released from sin?

AMEN!! Beautiful!

Quote:
To answer your question:

John 9:31
Now we know that God heareth not sinners:
but if any man be a worshipper of God, [u]and doeth his will[/u], him he heareth.

And he was speaking about Jesus...

2008/3/3 11:13

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:
Is any man able perfectly to keep the commandments of God?

No... thats why Christ died.

Krispy

AMEN again - in a nutshell!

2008/3/3 11:14

Re:

Quote:

RobertW wrote:
Quote:
Is any man able perfectly to keep the commandments of God?

I suppose the first question I need to ask is; what commandments are you referring to?

Jesus gave many 'commands'. I am not sure any ever codified them. But the basic law is the two great commandments. They simply say... "Thou shalt love..."

YES!!!

When I started in care work, I soon realised that my [i]own[/i] love and caring were not enough. Especially when dealing with some ornery individuals!

I had to "let go" my own merely human love and begin to learn to operate through HIS love.

I'm still learning!

Quote:
If we say man could not possibly have kept God commands we run the risk of charging God with over charging man. Yet, we need to understand the purpose of the Law to begin with. It was never meant to be a means by which salvation could come.

Yes, we are on the same wavelength here. At least, if you mean what I think you mean!

Thank you Robert

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/3/3 11:19

Re:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Jayyou, I had to do a little homework here to see if you possibly didn't ADD to some scripture here.....****is what matters****.

1 Corinthians 7:
18Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

19Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

20Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

Added, One would think that those under Law are to stay under Law, and those under Grace are to stay under Grace.....Isn't that how this might be read....or is Paul talking about something else all together?

Galatians 6:15
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I believe what really matters here is this.

In Christ we are a New Creation, and ONLY that New Creation can abide in Christ of which we know without Christ in us, no one is capable of keeping anything.

I do believe this is all of what Paul was saying in Philippians 3 when he said he lived by the Faith of Christ...no longer I but Christ In Me....

Establishing first Paul said I am Crucified with Christ....etc.

When these truths are put in it's proper place, our identification with Christ in death and resurrection life, raised up with Him New Creation, as we abide in Christ, HE is Keeping Us, and is able to keep all we commit unto Him.

We commit our lives a living sacrifice, Romans 12:1&2, called our reasonable service, and the Lord Transforms our minds.....something so above and beyond the Law and commandments. If it were as simple as keeping the Law of commandments...no such need for a transformed mind, a New heart, or a New Creature would be necessary.

HE is able to do then above and beyond ALL WE could possible ask or thing according to [u][i][b] His Power [/b][/i][/u] that works in us. Ephesians 3. Jayyou, that is what is RESTing in His Power, and abiding in HIS Love.

Yes, with that New Heart, New Life of Christ in us...we delight to do thy will, and obey with a heart of love. We are being perfected in LOVE, not our love but HIS.

Katy

2008/3/3 11:22

Re:

Quote:

Katy-did wrote:

...Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, [i][b]not having mine own righteousness[/b][/i], which is of the law, but that which is [i][b]through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith[/b][/i]:

Thank you so much for quoting that! A familiar and favourite passage, yet the emphasised words struck me afresh.

That is the key to it! If I have [i][b]my own[/b][/i] righteousness, however perfectly I keep the law, it isn't enough.

Keeping the law, the Torah, [i]is[/i] a kind of righteousness, and it is perhaps possible to keep it perfectly (except the part about loving God and one's neighbour perhaps!) Paul said in the same passage in Philippians that he kept the Law perfectly.

It [i]IS[/i] righteousness, but it's [i][b]the wrong sort of righteousness[/b][/i]!

There are two kinds of righteousness, not one!!! There is the kind that I do, which springs from self, and self-effort; and there is the kind that is by faith!

It's just hit me that those who say that God's Law, as expressed in the Torah, is still in some sense in force are right.

There [i]is[/i] only one Law of God, (although the Torah is only a limited [i]earthly[/i] expression of that eternal Law.) But there are [i][u][b]two[/b][/u][/i] righteousnesses!!!

WOW, that's mind-blowing!!!

It isn't a question of which Law are we keeping, (or failing to keep!) but in [i][u]whose righteousness[/u][/i] are we living and walking?!!!

Is it our own, or is it the Saviour's.

Hope that makes sense!

Jeannette

2008/3/3 11:46

Re:

Quote:
Deut.30: 11-15 "For this commandment which I command you this day is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that you should say, `Who will go up for us to heaven, and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, `Who will go over the sea for us, and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' But the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it. "See, I have set before you this day life and good, death and evil."

Amazingly, if you see the way the Apostle Paul interprets that scripture in the light of the New Covenant (testament) he is actually talking about believing the Gospel. (Romans 10)

Old covenant of works - "Do this and you shall live!"

New and eternal covenant as revealed in Christ - He who has the Son, has life...!" (1 John 5:12)

And I agree with most others who have posted, that we our now saved unto obedience, but that (imperfect) obedience neither saves us, nor keeps us reconciled to God. There was only one Man who ever kept that Law of God completely... and we know His name...Jesus.

2008/3/3 12:23
hulsey

Missouri

One Man:

And I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a scroll written inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals. Then I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?" [b]And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it.[/b] So I wept much, because [i]no one was found worthy[/i] to open and read the scroll, or to look at it. But one of the elders said to me, [b]"Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals."[/b]
(Rev 5:1-5 NKJV)

2008/3/3 12:33Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

What a beautifully coordinated thread that gives glory to Christ our righteousness without one hint or excuse for lawlessness.

Well done to all posters!

Clint

2008/3/3 13:18Profile
BlazedbyGod

Luke 1:5-6 a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, [b]walking in ALL the commandments[/b] AND ordinances of the Lord BLAMELESS.

2008/3/5 16:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy