SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Humanism in the Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Quote:
So what can we/I do besides prayer (which is of the utmost importance.?

Notice that Jesus said to watch and pray. So watch with spiritual eyes and pray Scripture. Ask God to show you what He sees in any circumstance. When Jesus encountered the woman at the well, society saw an outcast. Jesus saw what she would be like when God touched her heart, an excited evangelist (among other things). Ask God to give you those eyes.

Quote:
How do we bring back the fear of God, which in turn leads to wisdom and a knowledge of the Holy divine

The second thing to do after you "watch and pray" is to act when God gives you the chance. Walk in the Spirit and you will be lead by the Spirit. You have the opportunity to teach - teach! To teach the fear of God, you must teach the excellencies of God. The problem the Chuch has today is a poor view of God. Search the Scriptures and show them how God has revealed has majesty! When Nathan rebuked King David, he did not call him a murder and an adulterer. No, Nathan said (paraphrase) you have despised the Word of the Lord, the Name of the Lord and given the enemies of God a chance to blaspheme. (There was a fourth accusation to, but it escapes me at this moment). The heart of David's problem was a low view of God. The fruit sin was adultery and murder. So too with your students, show them "how great Thou art"!

A corollary to action is personal holiness. Walking the walk will be the best lesson you can show your students. Hypocrites are easy to spot. Hypocrisy renders your teaching null and void. Your students will learn so much just watching how you deal with situations (good and bad). When I have the opportunity to teach, I try to share personal encounters with God, as verified by Scripture. This allows people to see the reality and application of Scripture. When you teach, ask yourself, "Do I really believe this? What in my life would prove I do?" Remember, Paul told teachers to first "teach themselves"...

Also, some understanding of humanism is helpful, but don't let that become your focus, especially if you are teaching people young in the faith. Paul told Timothy to "preach the Word". Only the Bible has the promise that it "will not return void". Teach the truth and error will be obvious. The Holy Spirit will show you how much of a subject to discuss.

May God bless you in your endeavor!

2004/6/14 14:56Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Also, some understanding of humanism is helpful, but don't let that become your focus, especially if you are teaching people young in the faith. Paul told Timothy to "preach the Word". Only the Bible has the promise that it "will not return void". Teach the truth and error will be obvious. The Holy Spirit will show you how much of a subject to discuss.

Thank you for your encouraging words...as far as humanism, I don't want to be quilty of teaching as Paris Reidhead has said it's been covered over with evangelical terms...that's what I want to avoid. Other than that my focus is God and His awesomenes.

2004/6/14 15:01Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Shelly,

Perhaps to gain a better perspective on the [i]fear of the Lord[/i] and a proper view of God, I would highly recommend "The Knowledge of The Holy" By A.W. Tozer.

Maybe you could glean some ideas from that or even use it as study in itself. I believe there is an online copy, will link back to it if I find it.

* Actually this wasn't what I was looking for, but it was too good to pass up, this dear saint has real GOOD taste :-) !

I believe these are just chapter excerpts**, but you just have to check out the rest of her site!
(**EDIT: Wrong, I was wrong, this is the whole book.)

[url=http://glorifyhisname.com/sys-tmpl/koh/]http://glorifyhisname.com/sys-tmpl/koh/[/url]

2004/6/14 17:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy