SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Has anyone read...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Has anyone read...

Has anyone read [i]Driven By Eternity[/i] by John Bevere? (Not to be confused with Rick Warren's book, [i]Purpose Driven Life[/i])

2008/2/20 11:32Profile

Re: Has anyone read...

...never heard of it. Please enlighten.

Krispy

2008/2/20 13:07

Have you ever listened to John Bevere?

2008/2/20 21:46
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
...never heard of it. Please enlighten.

Krispy

You aren't asking an easy thing of me, brother. Those two words, "Please enlighten," stopped me in my tracks. I know it must sound goofy, but they did. A few tears, too. I'll try to give a very brief explanation...

Leaving the Word of Faith movement years ago also caused me to stop going to church altogether. I didn't trust anyone anymore. I didn't even trust myself to find Godly churches, pastors or teachers.

Two years ago, I discovered John Bevere's books. [i]The Fear of the Lord[/i] and [i]Drawing Near[/i] were healing to me. They renewed my hope and my dry, lifeless search for Truth again. I was careful (and still am) not to become a follower of a man, but I began to trust someone's teaching again. Keep in mind, I was still believing that the sinner's prayer was how to be saved.

Since I've been saved this January, I put aside all books and have read only the scriptures. But, I can't stop wondering if John Bevere's teachings are true. It's not that I doubt them, it's just that this one, [i]Driven by Eternity[/i] has a small hint of prosperity teaching to it, [i] but not how you may think.[/i] I'm having trouble discerning right now if this book is true or if it's just me flinching at the mere mention of rewards.

The Bible [i]does[/i] speak of heavenly rewards and that's what John is talking about. He's [i]not[/i] a prosperity teacher. This much I believe. He's spoken against it. He's talking about living eternally minded and about heavenly rewards. I am not wise and I don't want to be deceived again. I don't want to speak ill of anyone and I don't want to follow or worship anyone. But, I feel I'm too close to this teaching to see it objectively as truth or deception.

That's why "Please enlighten" causes me to take a great pause. I find I can't review this book objectively. The best I can do is quote the blurb from his book, which is [i]full[/i] of scriptures backing up what he says. But I'm lacking the discernment, in this case, to know if they're being used correctly.

If someone is actually familiar with John and his teachings, that would help me more than someone simply making an assessment from a mere blurb from his book. He's written many books and is definitely not seeker-sensitive.

Here's the book blurb:

Quote:
YOU'VE SETTLED WHERE YOU'LL SPEND ETERNITY… BUT HAVE YOU CONSIDERED HOW YOU'LL SPEND IT?

Making Your Life Count Today and Forever.

We were made for eternity. This life on earth is but a vapor. Yet too many live as though there is nothing on the other side. Scriptural laws and principles may be applied to achieve success on earth, but are we prepared for eternity? Have we failed to remember we will all stand before the Great Judge of Heaven and Earth?
Scripture tells us there will be various degrees of rewards for believers ranging from those who watch as all they accomplished is devoured in judgment to those who are awarded the privilege to reign with Christ. These judgments will determine how we spend our span of eternity.

Included in this book is a riveting allegory. It takes place in a world similar to our own, yet different. Lord Jalyn is the ruler of the Kingdom of Affabel. You will journey with six of his subjects through their lives, witness their judgment, and see how and where they will spend the rest of their lives. The teaching of this book revolves around the lessons learned from their lives.

The purpose of this book is to reveal an eternal perspective, motivate believers to labor for what endures, as well as, to draw seekers to Salvation and Kingdom living.

One final point to bring up now, because someone is bound to bring this up later from a Wikipedia search, and I want it to be mentioned rightly. John Bevere and I have a similar background in that we both have a past with the Word of Faith movement and Benny Hinn (not at the same time) and later ran far away from having anything to do with him. Again, John has spoken against Hinn's type of theology, but he does it (to the best of my knowledge) without mentioning names or "exposing" people. He confronts the theology without slamming specific people.

Ok. I've done my best to present this neutrally. I'm just asking in advance that anyone who participates in this thread try to do the same, especially if they aren't familiar with John Bevere's teachings. I'm not trying to protect him, but I'm not looking to berate him either. I want to be respectful. No pedestals and no rotten tomatoes.

2008/2/20 22:42Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

reformer wrote:
Have you ever listened to John Bevere?

Yes. I've heard him teach and read several of his books.

2008/2/20 22:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

John Bevere

Hi brother,

It has been a long time since I read him. Wish I had something to offer but am struck by the parrells and similarites again in your expression and experience, it's like looking in a mirror. Really the reason for responding here however is just to say I appreciate the way you have gone about it, your honesty and integrity.

2008/2/20 23:24Profile
Talkn2u

Years ago I read John Bevere...His book, The Bait of Satan re: Offense.
I read others of his books and heard him speak in person a few times.
I really admired and respected him and his ministry.
God greatly used him to speak into my life at that time.
However,
Many years have passed and I have not heard him speak or read any of his latest books.

In the more recent years, I have read more of such as Finney, Mueller, Murray, Redpath,Wilkerson, Spurgeon etc....
so,
I think my opinion may be different now in reading some of the more recent books available in Christian literature.

I will say that as you continue to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, and keep your self in the Word,Walking in obedience, praying continually and being ever mindful of the Presence of God in your life, you will not have a difficult time discerning Truth from Error.
There will be a hint of caution that will rise up in your spirit and you will not "drink in" what He rejects.

looking back I see that God used so many people and materials, sermons and messages, to direct me and fill me with His Spirit...yet today, I would not so much as pick up one of those books to even inquire of the content.

From Glory to Glory He is Changing us...keep moving forward in His Spirit and Strength.
It is exciting isn't it????

Bonnie

2008/2/21 2:32Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Hi Keith,

Although I know the Bible has things to say about rewards, I am very careful when anyone teaches about this, because it usually leans towards being accepted by God in some way by our own works.

John Bevere preached this message at my church last January (2007) and I also read the book. I have always appreciated his “in your face” style of preaching and Driven by Eternity had a profound impact on my life at that time. I didn’t come away from it feeling like I needed to be motivated by the rewards I would receive in heaven, although to the best of my remembrance this was a component of the message. But it did impress upon me the reality that one day I will stand before the Lord, so the things I do here on this earth are important, as far as making sure that I am obedient to His direction for my life and not doing my own thing. God forbid that the Lord Jesus Christ should have a people whose motivation for serving Him is what they will get. If what we have already received - His precious blood poured out for our salvation – is not enough to induce us to love and serve Him, seems to me that something is wrong.

Danielle

2008/2/21 5:31Profile
Talkn2u

Re:

Danielle...
that was an "excellent" response to Keith's question!
Bonnie :-)

2008/2/21 9:44Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Sorry, posted in wrong thread

2008/2/21 10:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy