SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : These forums and Christians in General.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
nfg22

These forums and Christians in General.

You know I wish sometimes Christians would just refuse to answer questions or just keep quiet. Is what your saying really edifying? Is it even worth answering?

2008/2/18 23:21Profile

Re: These forums and Christians in General.

Friend, I feel and always have felt - that these threads seldom do anything to help bring unity with us. This is just as much the Body attacking the Body as what you see that doesn't please you.

Go amongst the threads and say positive things about the positive things you see and anywhere you go - because "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." Pro 15:1

These type threads are doing what they accuse others of ('judging') and seemingly arrogant (though you're not), in seemingly saying that all of the person saying these things own posts are 'always' annoited but [i]"those other"[/i] people's aren't.
Exhorting what's right is better than wide-brush condemnations.

I'm not putting you down, honestly, just have seen so many of these counter-productive threads that divide rather than help. It lifts-up the one(s) posting it or to it, above their fellows and no one is sure 'who' exactly you're pointing at with such wide brush statements, as in "Christians in General".
It's not fair to 'everyone'. We're One Body.

None of us have gotten the full grasp of how to inter-relate over text.
Face to face is so much easier but even in many churches, people don't truly love each other and God is the One who 'is' working on us all, if we're His.

Read the Articles section or Devotional Thoughts.

These type of posts are self-defeating and divide the Body as they cause others to say "Yeah, it's THEM" and then the same folks that are caught in that snare to type, "Yeah, it's THEM" - will stumble next week.
And the LORD will allow them to, to teach them to not judge on minor issues. So, these "I'm a better poster than you all" type threads do nothing but bring a snare and divide.

And Actually - I've seen most folks trying really hard this last week to get along and forget minor differences and so have many others of us.

Aside from all of that "getting along with each other stuff" ---- how are you doing with getting over your recent broken-heart?

We're still praying for you brother.

Love one another. Pray one for another. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
And Overcome evil with good.

2008/2/19 1:16
nfg22

Re:

Thanks for caring! Im doing ok. God's hand is heavy upon me but He lightens it at times. I guess I am just tired and got sick of reading some stupid question to where people argued over them. I dont mean to condemn, it was more of my heart being burdened. I just had this today when I met with a brother and I realized I had something to say for everything he said. Then it occured to me that I just need to listen. I did. It went good.

I guess in full I want to say sorry. I dont mean to tear the body, I just hope we all listen more and talk less. Even me. Thanks Brother.

2008/2/19 2:30Profile

Re:

Oh Brother, no need to say sorry at all. I spend half my time feeling I should just stick my keyboard in my mouth.

We're growing 'together'. As you said, it happened to you just today. The days it doesn't happen to me - I'm shocked.

Seriously though - you pegged it very well when you said "listen".

Getting to know each person by reading what each other says, looking at their profile, what country they come from - how they normally post - try to see why they are having a bad day. On and on it goes.

Not everyone has the time to do that. Most folks are very busy with work and family and can only come when they can. And all they can see is the first post that hits their eyes.
Not knowing the person who posted it, maybe we don't know that they've had a really bad day or week or month or life.

I still think that, unless it's a dangerous heresy, it's not worth the debate. But if it is and folks who are young in Christ see it - then and only then should we contend.

We were talking the other day about people's health also. How people feel, plays a role on their responses too. Sooo many factors. Even folks with high blood pressure can get angry and that's not their real nature. Thank GOD that's something I don't have - HA - I have very low blood pressure - but my heart rate goes to high for no reason. That doesn't affect my mood - but other things can.
Some folks come on here to get away from a day after a bad day at work or school or at home - you know.

So many things going on behind the scenes of each poster's lives that we must consider may be happening to them. We have No idea what is going on or what they've been through, unless we learn to be sensitive to listen to them, by getting to know them, by watching how they post from day to day. But how many have that much time on their hands? Just look for good threads, that will build you up and not upset ya.
And if you stumble on a heavy situation - tell a joke or something. It usually always works out in the end - somehow.
Have 'hope' for All of us & yourself. And pray for us all. I need prayer very badly - just for one on here.

GOD BLESS YOU Brother!

We love you.

2008/2/19 4:13

Re:

I find just the opposite is true. To someone new to the forum it may appear that this is a place where brother attacks brother... but I dont think thats true at all.

There are many folks here who have come down on the opposite side of an issue from me... and we've had heated debates... but remain very brotherly and loving toward one another.

It's like walking into the middle of a conversation. You dont know the history, so you assume they are arguing and attacking, but that isnt the case.

I'm not dimissing what you've said here. Sometimes your words do apply. But you've posted only 11 times on this forum, which indicates to me that you're new... so please forgive me if I say that I dont believe you have caught the spirit and essence of this forum.

Sometimes all I have to do is quote scripture, showing the truth from God's Word, and I'm accused of "attacking". How can truth be attacking? No... some people are just too easily offended. They dont really want to hear the truth, they want their ears ticked... just as scripture says.

Do things get out of control here? From time to time, yes. But usually when that happens someone says something that pokes us in the heart... and we have a time of renewel and forgiveness that at times is more tender than anything I've experienced in a real church fellowship.

I think Solomon would have some words of wisdom concerning being too quick to judge.

Krispy

2008/2/19 8:06
nfg22

Re:

Sir, I have not much time and I have enjoyed your posts many times. I need to think about what you said and pray about it but before I head off to work I have two thoughts.

1) I have been a watcher, seeing as I dont like to argue about anything but Christ and Christ alone. But I have been watching this site for about two years. Not often but maybe once a week.

2)I am sure Christ had many scriptures and truths at anytime He could have shared with anyone. Yet rarely did I expect to hear what I did from Him. Scripture and Truth are not always in love, or the right thing to say. I do agree scripture is safer than most other routes. Quoting a truthful statement at the wrong time or to the wrong issue isnt always so good.

I guess one example I have is when someone questions the Diety of Christ. We dont have to get mad, or offended. All we simply have to do is say Christ is God. Quote a scripture and walk away. We dont have to go further and prove logic and other things. We just need to stand upon the truth. I like you Krispy...Thanks for the Prayers HE_Reigns. I will pray on this Krispy and ask God to enlighten my heart's eyes to truth. Thanks for discussion.

2008/2/19 8:45Profile

Re:

After I posted I realized that I did not stipulate that even when using scripture we need to do so in love. Much evil and hatred has been done in the name of God, and because of the twisting of scripture. I came on to clarify, and you did so for me. I'm glad you did.

You dont like to argue for anything but Christ. I agree that we should not argue for the sake of argument. I've admitted on here several times that I do love to debate and argue, but many times I have to hold myself in check because it's not coming from the right place.

But we can not ignore scripture when Paul exhorts us to [b]earnestly contend[/b] for the faith. We have to bring balance to it all. To never contend for the faith is just as wrong as contending for it for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
I guess one example I have is when someone questions the Diety of Christ. We dont have to get mad, or offended. All we simply have to do is say Christ is God. Quote a scripture and walk away. We dont have to go further and prove logic and other things. We just need to stand upon the truth.

I dont know the heart of the person you're speaking of, but I will speculate that this person wanted to be offended. In almost every conversation that person was involved in they questioned the diety of Christ. That tells me there is an agenda there.

I didnt see anyone here getting mad or offended other than the person who questioned His diety. Everyone else here pleaded with that person, and tried to reason with them.

We did not drive her away. In fact, those who contended with her begged her to stay... myself included.

Quoting scripture and then walking away is not the example we have in scripture at all. Paul stood in a stadium and tried to reason with King Agrippa. Paul stood up in Greece and tried to reason with the Greeks. Stephen preached to the religious leaders as they prepared to stone him.

Jesus did not say a word in His defense, but not because He didnt want to argue. He could have walked out there any time He wanted... He's God. But that was not His mission. His mission was to be crucified for our sins.

But throughout the NT the Apostles reasoned and preached. Preached and reasoned.

Quoting scripture and walking away is not the example we have in scripture... in fact, it's the exact opposite.

Love ya, brother... hope you're having a great day.

Krispy

2008/2/19 9:02
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
But we can not ignore scripture when Paul exhorts us to [b]earnestly contend[/b] for the faith. We have to bring balance to it all. To never contend for the faith is just as wrong as contending for it for the wrong reasons.

I think allot of folk who get offended take things way to seriously.

Its good to take your walk with Christ seriously, but in regards to what you believe and why you believe it hold it gently. Someone somewhere is going to challenge what you believe and why you believe it. My personality is such that I would challenge it just for the sake of rattling your cage.

I do have a just a comment however, as a man I believe what I believe. Sometimes, though, I get the impression that the forum would like it more that I was on rittalin.

2008/2/19 9:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Friend, I feel and always have felt - that these threads seldom do anything to help bring unity with us. This is just as much the Body attacking the Body as what you see that doesn't please you.

The forums on sermonindex.net at times have been more full of debating and arguing rather then edifying but I would have to say for the most part the forums have been a remarkable tool in the hand of God to bring unity amongst brethren under truth. Right now there are pentecostals, baptists, brethren, anabaptists, lutherans, home church people, non-denominational, etc all on the forums discussing the same issue and sharing from their experiences. I encourage everyone to prayerfully read this:

[b]MUST READ: SermonIndex Forum Disclaimer / Community Rules[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14144&forum=13&8

I do believe the sermonindex forums are "markly" different then other forums on the internet to the glory of God.

2008/2/19 9:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Forum

Quote:
My personality is such that I would challenge it just for the sake of rattling your cage.

Ah, good to see you up brother. Glad to know you are still hovering around the edges.

Getting our cages rattled, things that get under our skin ... [i]telling![/i]. Our ease of being offended, [i]offendeness[/i] as Mr. Sparks would have it, need to go dig that great expose' back up again.

Am working on something, something of an observation and maybe even an exhortation that applies to first my own self but broader to just what it is we are doing here. If I had to throw out a hint it would stress one word, one word contained in the link to the left, a little past midway under the [b]Main Menu[/b] that is very descriptive in it's own right -

[b][u]Discussion[/u] Forum[/b]

ZekeO, you have been around for a long while and could only guess at your observations. Things have changed and evolved with more and more coming on board and the drag and pull seems often like a tug of war. There is an attempt to re-tie this to it's moorings.

Some days we all need to be on Ritalin. And maybe that was the point the brother who posted this was somewhat after. Can't say I disagree with him completely. Of course I am getting well out in front of myself ...

2008/2/19 9:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy