SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : salvation for God?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

salvation for God?

Isaiah 63:5
And I looked, and [i]there was[/i] none to help; and I wondered that [i]there was[/i] none to uphold: [b]therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me[/b]; and my fury, it upheld me.

Is 'therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me' just a figure of speech in which what God really means is, He brought [i]us[/i] salvation, or, is God saying that He Himself needed 'salvation' from something?... from us?

If so, what kind of salvation could God need?

2008/2/14 21:27

Re: salvation for God?

Good question.

Jesus saved himself by his faith.
Why did Jesus need to be saved. Was'nt he sinless? Yes. Did'nt he fulfill the law? Yes. So why did Jesus need saving? "No flesh shall be justified by the law". Not even Jesus, because he came in the flesh.
By his FAITH righteousness was imputed to him by the Father.
Not only did his faith save himself but it also saved us. We not only have the faith of Christ but the righteousness of the father.

2008/2/14 22:30
Compton

Hi Dorcas,

Quote:
from us?

For us...and his own glory. I believe the scripture here is a prophetic figuration of Christ. "Mine own arm" is an expression of the Father upholding the salvation that men could not.

Isaiah uses a similar expression elsewhere as well. The LORD has bared His holy arm In the sight of all the nations, that all the ends of the earth may see the salvation of our God. Isaiah 52:10

In this verse Jesus is portrayed as the very strength and power of God, yet condescending and humble...even humiliatingly laid bare before the nations. By depicting Jesus as God's holy arm extended to us, astonishingly unveiled and undressed of His glory, we remember that all the love, grace, power, and desire to save sinners that we more easily attribute to Jesus, originates in God the father.

Blessings,

MC

2008/2/14 22:42Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Hi Dorcas,

Quote:
from us?

For us...and his own glory. I believe the scripture here is a prophetic figuration of Christ. The "Mine own arm" is a simply an expression of the Father upholding the salvation that men could not.

Isaiah uses a similar expression elsewhere as well. The LORD has bared His holy arm In the sight of all the nations, that all the ends of the earth may see the salvation of our God. Isaiah 52:10

In this verse Jesus is portrayed as the very strength and power of God, yet condescending and humble...even humiliatingly laid bare before the nations. By depicting Jesus as God's holy arm extended to us in astonishingly unveiled and undressed of His glory, we find that all the love, grace, power, and desire to save sinners that we more easily attribute to Jesus, originates in God the father.

Blessings,

MC

Amen! He that hath ears to hear let him hear.
Brother I've noticed your growing in faith ;-)

2008/2/14 22:48
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Brother I've noticed your growing in faith

This is such wonderful encouragement for any believer, so I truly thank you for pausing to say it.

edit: Lord...Help me... teach me it is far too little I know and do. (A Puritan prayer.)

MC

2008/2/14 22:55Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

I agree with Compton.

About Isaiah 52, in the verses that follow verse 10, I think there is a new Exodus pictured here that would be accomplished. One that the Lord Jesus was going to accomplish for His people.

In Deuteronomy, Moses reminds the people how that

[b][color=000000]...the LORD brought us forth out of Egypt with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terribleness, and with signs, and with wonders: [/color][/b]

- Deuteronomy 26:8(KJV)

Chris

2008/2/15 5:49Profile

Thank you chiefofsiners, Compton and ChrisJD. :-)

I agree with all the points you have made.

Taking a step further, we might be saying [u]Jesus[/u] brought salvation to people - the world - whom God had in His heart - as many as would choose [i][b]Him[/b][/i], instead of their former choices (Isa 65:12, 66:3, 4).

Quote:
brought salvation unto me

What had struck me about the verse was the focus on God as the [i]object[/i] of the salvation. It drew me towards verses such as Eph 1:18 'the glory of [u]His inheritance[/u] in the saints'. And...

Luke 15:31
And he said unto him, 'Son, thou art ever with me, and [u]all that [b][i]I[/b][/i] have[/u] is thine'.

John 17:10
And all mine are thine, and thine are mine;
and I am glorified in them.

These verses may seem to be about 'us', but aren't they about God bringing [u]salvation to His own heart[/u] [i]through[/i] His Son (that is, His bared and holy arm).

Do you see what I mean?

2008/2/16 19:09
psalm1

Re:

Are you guys saying Jesus needed to be saved and saved himself?

David

2008/2/17 0:26Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Quote;

"""Is 'therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me' just a figure of speech in which what God really means is, He brought us salvation, or, is God saying that He Himself needed 'salvation' from something?... from us?
"""

Isaiah 63:3-5 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

God's fury was kindled and His vengeance is being poored out and He looked and there was none to bring salvation. He took His own arm (Jesus Christ) used Him for the salvation of the world, He, Jesus Christ the only One that could bring salvation unto God, that He might save and be the One to turn away God's fury, as it upheld His righteousness, Jesus Christ the One that brought our salvation to God.

The inheritance of Jesus Christ is us, by His sacrifice He inherited our salvation of the Father that Jesus Christ presented to His Father.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/2/17 1:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy