SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Life Lessons (What Has God Been Teaching You?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rahman

Re: Life Lessons (What Has God Been Teaching You?)

Sis Diehl you posted,

((( Please feel free to post what God has been teaching each one of you recently. I really would like to know! )))

Wow Sis ...

Over 200 views but very few replies ... Makes me even more convinced of what I've come to believe today, that God's not getting thru to a lot of us Christian's ... I know for a fact (personally) that He's talking to us all the time, but many of us have either just shut our ears because He's not talking what we want to hear, or we genuinely don't hear Him because we're to busy talking over Him with our prayers of needs, wants and desires ... I'm guilty on both counts, but I thank Him that He continues to "strive" with me, and every once in a while He gets His point across.

About 13 years ago, when my earthly father died (whom I loved dearly and was my best friend), He taught me what thus far has been my most important lesson ... It was about 3 months later after my Dad's death that I was sitting home alone, crying my eyes out, when suddenly I just screamed out (like a 12 year old), "I don't have a father anymore"! ... And instantly, like a bolt of lightning hitting my brain, I heard Him say, "Yes you do, the same Father you had before you had him" ... This blew my mind, not only for the loudness of clarity of His voice in my spirit, but most especially this phrase " the same Father you had BEFORE you had him" ... Think of this ... God was our Father, even before any of us we're born ... This experience brought forth two realizations ... #1 - That I had both loved and esteemed my earthly father higher than my heavenly Father ... In essence I unwittingly had made my earthly father a god/idol before my heavenly one ... I repented of that instantly, and am now very attentive to "not having any other gods before" Him ... And #2 no one can have a better parent/ best friend (anywhere) than God ...

What He's teaching me now is the same lesson He's been teaching me for the past 20 years, and that's "patience" ... My favorite question to Him is always "when"? ... I hated "patience" in my BC days, and I'm still not to fond of it now (but I have to admit that I'm much, much better with waiting than I used to be) ...

Hmmmmm, perhaps I'm about ready for Him to mount me up on eagles wings ... '0) ... All blessings to you ... Amen

2004/6/15 11:13Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: To worship the Father!

Hey Yodi

Since I moved away from home (Africa), God has been teaching me to worship him. It is a hard lesson for me, and one that I am still struggling with. A few verses have been thrown at me, which I would like to share with everyone.

Isaiah29: 13Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: 14Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid. 15Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

Samuel 15: 22And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

John 4:23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: FOR THE FATHER SEEKETH SUCH TO WORSHIP HIM.

James

2004/6/15 13:24Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Quote:

Rahman wrote:

Over 200 views but very few replies ... Makes me even more convinced of what I've come to believe today, that God's not getting thru to a lot of us Christian's ... I know for a fact (personally) that He's talking to us all the time, but many of us have either just shut our ears because He's not talking what we want to hear, or we genuinely don't hear Him because we're to busy talking over Him with our prayers of needs, wants and desires ...

Don't be discouraged by a lack of response, God is working, sometimes we can't always respond, but we are thankful to read others sharing. (there are many hypocritical Christians who aren't learning much about God or spending time with Him, I meet them all the time, but there are true Christians, watching and learning from others quietly)

God is teaching me so much that writing just a few notes doesn't do justice. I am listening to God all the time, in Bible study and from people, the environment, good Christian books and shows. I am continually in the Bible, and I am always learning, all the time. It's so much, I share what I can (like the free stuff I just found to help others evangelize), but God is so awesome, if you give Him your all, your everything, His presence is just too awesome to explain sometimes (and sometimes controversial, I like to keep some of His revelations to myself for the sake of peace, when appropriate-sometimes we must be honest, which can be controversial, but not always-need wisdom about that kind of thing). For me anyway, my gift is communicating through painting and drawing, art, more than oral and written. One day maybe God will lead me into building a website-don't have time or knowledge into doing that yet- so other Christians can see some of the work He's allowed me to make for His glory.

2004/6/15 14:04Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

Wow, Jimm. Those are really great verses. They really speak to me too. Kind of the same thing that He's been teaching me. My relationship with Him is so shallow right now. I have all this head knowledge from years of being saved, but my progression is so slow. I just need to obey what He's telling me to do. Actually be a life living for Christ. I keep saying that I want to be more on fire, but don't really put to much effort into it. I just need to start being faithful in the little things He tells me to do.

2004/6/15 14:21Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Rahman

Quote:
no one can have a better parent/ best friend (anywhere) than God ...

Amen! I'm currently learning to cling to God as my best friend. My heart seems to be pulled back and forth at times, between being attached to people and being attached to my Father, but hopefully someday I will learn to keep Him [i]always[/i] number one, despite any future relationships that may "tie me down".

2004/6/15 14:41Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Jimm & Jennifer (DelightedInU)

Jennifer "DelightedInU" beat me to it. I agree with what she said concerning those being good verses you posted Jimm.

Samuel 15:22 really has spoken to me in the past. I think [i]obedience[/i] is what I'm still learning about worship, as far as the singing aspect is concerned in a church service. There's times where you just don't feel like doing things. Sometimes I don't feel like singing out loud during worship because the emotion isn't there, but God deserves my praises, and love, true godly love, is not always based on how we feel. Some times we have to love God out of obedience.

Another cool thing about worhsip is that it's not just the music. It's a lifestyle. It's our daily devotion to Him.

Hey, thanks for sharing!

And Jennifer, I'll keep keeping you in my prayers. :-)

2004/6/15 14:58Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Rocklife

Thanks for sharing "Rocklife".

Quote:
but God is so awesome, if you give Him your all, your everything,

May we all desire that, and then follow through with our actions. May He continually reveal to us what those hindrances and weights are in our lives. May we keep an eternal perspective and remember what the most important things in life are.

Hey, I'm going to take a one day class at a local University this Saturday to learn how to do websites! It's supposed to help train me to do our church's website (it needs a lot of work!). If I get good enough, maybe... well, I can help you. [laughs] That seems impossible right now because I don't now anything, but, who knows, maybe I'll end up being gifted in it. I would like to see your work though. Let us know if it ever becomes available to view.

2004/6/15 15:06Profile
rookie

Re:

I am hung up on this, meaning God is making a point I have not yet come to fully understand. I know He is working, I have yet to realize the understanding.

"The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonder, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they may be saved." 2 Thess. 2:9-10

The love of the truth is our only weapon against deception. I know that I have tasted the goodness of the word. I also know that the Word will cause me to walk in opposition to the ways of this world. The world is being crucified from me, yet I know there is much work left for God to do in terms of the worldliness that remains in me. My soul quivers at His judgements yet I know it is for my good.

The love of the truth, the love of my Savior will set me free. I just have this overwhelming sense that I am going to learn more deeply the significance of what "the love of the truth," will change me.

"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world- [b]our faith[/b]. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" 1 John 5:4-5

In Christ
Jeff

2004/6/15 15:37Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Rookie

How wonderful - to look forward to what God is going to teach you! I feel that way myself, as I look forward to the humbling, stretching, and teaching I know He's going to do when I go to the Ukraine next weekend for a summer camp for street kids. My flesh is kind of hesitant, afraid of how I might be changed, but my Spirit rejoices, longing to get closer to the Lord!

May you find the love of truth that you're looking for. God has placed that desire in your heart, and He will be faithful to fufill it. :-)

2004/6/15 16:45Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: What is God doing in my life??

God is always working in our lives, as long as we're willing to submit to him.

Here are a few things that God has shown me over the last few weeks. Have you ever asked God to show you what your life would be without Jesus? It's a very terrifying thought to me, even as I type this. I doubt that what everyone would see would be the same exact thing, but I know I just couldn't go on in this life. Even though there's many people I love here, I just couldn't go on without Jesus.

Another thing is to allow the Holy Spirit to make sure my motives are pure. Do I want to glorify God or am I trying to glorify my flesh? It's a question I ask myself regularly.

The final thing I'll say is I'm beginning to understand the realize the enormity of my crimes against God (i.e. my sin). Do you ever wonder what your sin says about the sovereignty of God? I'm not talking about a license to sin, but even those things we do "unconsciously." When you compare our sin versus the grace of God when we come to Him in repentance, I am utterly amazed. How could God pick someone like me? And yet, He offers this gift of repentance. It just blows me away...

Ed

2004/6/15 16:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy