SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is Walking in the Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jgraves11

Munford, TN

What is Walking in the Spirit?

I am posting this because I have come to realize that many times we so spiritualize things in scripture, we dont even realize how complex, or simple they are.

In Galatians 5:16 we are commanded to walk in the Spirit. and then we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

What exactly is walking in the spirit anyway? Is it as simple as avoiding the fruit of the flesh listed in the verses following, and going after the fruits of the Spirit? Or are these fruits a result of where we are walking? If so then what does it mean to walk in the Spirit?

2008/2/12 9:51Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: What is Walking in the Spirit?

Could it be to walk in submission and obedience to Jesus Christ? Desiring earnestly, by prayer and supplication, to please and honor Him, by life or by death. Jesus said, "If any man will be my disciple he must deny himself..." That might be the needed thing.

Let us walk according to the Spirit, that we have as a deposit, to work out this pure and undefiled life we have in Christ. We are seated with Him...
We are clothed with Him...
Looking away from our filthy selves, from our filthy flesh, wherein dwells no good thing, and look to Christ, who is our life and the hope of Glory!
Ahhhh, this is the needed thing, To look entirely away from ourselves!

Good question, let's pursue this blessed life.

2008/2/12 10:55Profile

Re: What is Walking in the Spirit?

Good morning igraves11,
Now let me see...
When I was in the FLESH(before I was born-again Of the Spirit of God)I `walked' in the only
`way'I knew.But now,I have took on a new Name
(and He wants HIS Name to be Hallowed...Mt. 6:9
`Hallowed be Thy Name IN EARTH,as it is in heaven.'Jesus said,(Jn.14:6)I Am the `WAY',the TRUTH, and the LIFE.
A way is a place where we walk. So after we are born of the Spirit,just like He drawed us to Him by His GRACE,His Grace will start to draw us to `HIS WILL')(which is contrary to the flesh)He will begin to circumsize our heart...to cut a-way the old man, and give us a new heart, to desire the things that be of God.This is that new `WAY'( place to walk)(road) Behold, all things are become new...`The NARROW WAY'
(Mt. 7:14)The WAY, is the WAY of the cross..a death to the FLESH, and a LIFE in the Spirit.
But who wants to die to the flesh?
And be led by the Spirit of God?...`(Rom. 8:14)
`For as many as are LED by the Spirit of God `they are' the sons of God'
No,we cannot walk in the spirit on our own.
When the LOVE OF GOD is shed abroad in our hearts, ..He gives us such a love for Him, that we do not want to afend Him.9If we follow-on to fllow Him.`Jn.10:4-17 My sheep hear voice,( hearing His voice through the Spirit) and they follow (walk) Me
Well I Pray this to be helpful,
The GRACE of God be with you.
Grace,that drawing of you to Him-ward,
In His love,
Ebeth

2008/2/12 10:59
jgraves11

Munford, TN

Re:

Ruach34, I think you are right. Perhaps walking in the Spirit is as simple as walking in obedience, in a way that does not grieve nor quench the Spirit.
Thanks for your input

John

2008/2/12 13:25Profile
jgraves11

Munford, TN

Re:

Ebeth

Thank you for your insight. I agree that walking in the Spirit is something that we have to rely on God's grace to do.
Thank you for your insight as well.

John

2008/2/12 13:27Profile
jgraves11

Munford, TN

Re:

By the way, do you believe that walking in the Spirit is akin to being filled with the Spirit? I don't see how the two can be separated.

2008/2/12 13:28Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Maybe it is both and the reason we are exhorted to pray without ceasing...so that as we walk in the Spirit we are continually being filled with Spirit, there is continual freshness, life as smoothly as breath that enters our lungs. So, first we must be born-again, the old gone the new in place, then desire Him, His Spirit and He will work in us this continual desire to pray without ceasing, ever drawing on Him, in dependence on Him.

I have to confess, this continual, abiding is much neglected in me. But, i think it is possible and our Father much desires it for us.

2008/2/12 15:35Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

1Cr 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

This is the Spirit of Christ in you.

This is the Holy Spirit in you.

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The Holy Spirit is not life in Christ.
The Holy Spirit is the sealer of that Life in the believer and also the Teacher-Parakleet of the new life we have in Christ. That is "Christ in you the Hope of Glory".

The Holy Spirit is not Christ, The Holy Spirit did not die on the Cross, and He will not speak of Himself, He will only speak of the things of Christ, pertaining to the new life in Christ. The Holy Spirit is the Power and Teacher of that Life in Christ. Jesus Christ is the Life.

He does not give us love, He is Love. He does not give us forgiveness, He is forgiveness. He does not give us righteousness, He is righteousness in us.

This is just a portion of the Christ that is in us, our only hope of glory.

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the (Christ) Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Col 3:4 When Christ, [who is] our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

The Mystery of Christ in you the Hope of Glory.

Colossians 1:25-28 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Walking in the Spirit is the same as praying without ceasing, by the Christ that is in you and and having fellowship with Him 24-7. When we sleep we sleep in Christ, when we awake we awake in Christ. Then be ye filled with the Holy Spirit who is the Teacher-Parakleet, that Christ may be formed in you.

Perfect in Christ: Phillip

2008/2/13 1:28Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Amen, Christinyou. there is a profound mystery that doctrine cannot explain and that is, "christ in you the Hope of Glory," and "I no longer live, it is Christ that lives in you."

It is Christ, all of Him, more of Him, full of Him. The Holy Spirit comes to reveal and honor Christ in us.

Consider this statement and please, shut my mouth if it is wrong in anyway. Art Katz spoke of the Holy Trinity and the relationship within. God, the Father, with deference, sent Christ to represent Him, Christ was glorified and sent the Holy Spirit to represent Him, and the Holy Spirit
honors and reveals Christ and Christ honors and glorifies the Father. It is such an amazing, holy trinity. the statement I wish to say, and again lock this thread if I am wrong and tell me to my face, but possibly when we seek the Holy Spirit above the one that gives the Holy Spirit we may be in error. But instead, when God the Father is sought, as made possible through Christ Jesus, we may have Christ disclosed to us and the FATHER and the SON abiding in us, and then full of the HOLY SPIRIT (John 14:21,23).

Is this right?

2008/2/13 10:58Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

"It is Christ, all of Him, more of Him, full of Him. The Holy Spirit comes to reveal and honor Christ in us."

Amen, WE get the whole bucket of Grace, Faith, Truth, Love and Righteousness poored into us at the moment of our new birth. That is truly "Christ in you the Hope of Glory".

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Col 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Are we in as much pain as Paul was for our brethern and those that are not saved, that Christ be formed in them?

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

We all need to go to the hospital and look again at the travail in birth the Mother's are having to give birth. That is the kind of Pain Paul is speaking of.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/2/13 14:21Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy