SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Churches destroyed in wave of religious violence in Nigeria

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Churches destroyed in wave of religious violence in Nigeria

[b]Churches destroyed in wave of religious violence in Nigeria[/b]

Around 1000 people were displaced, several critically wounded, and every church reportedly destroyed in Shira Yana, Bauchi State, Nigeria on 2 February 2008. This is the latest in a series of recent incidents of religious violence in northern and central Shari’ah states, reports Christian Solidarity Worldwide.

The violence erupted after a young woman was accused of blaspheming against the prophet Mohammed. According to local sources, the young woman had spurned the advances of a young Muslim man on the previous day. In a last effort the man appealed to her to speak to him “in the name of the Messenger” to which she responded that she knew no messenger. ...

read more: http://www.christiantoday.com

2008/2/12 8:32Profile
hisremnant

North Central Indiana

Re: Churches destroyed in wave of religious violence in Nigeria

Praise Jesus!!

i don't know which troubles me more. The persecution that goes on around the world in the name of Allah (the moon god).

Or the apathy and indifference to such things that i see from American Christians (so-called)

Also from China

270 House Church Pastors Detained for Alleged Illegal Religious Gathering

Contact: Daniel Burton, China Aid Association, 432-689-6985; www.chinaAid.org, www.monitorChina.org

SHANDONG PROVINCE, Dec. 10 /Christian Newswire/ -- China Aid Association has learned that 270 House Church Pastors have been detained for what Chinese officials are calling an "illegal religious gathering."

On December 7 at 1:30pm, House Church pastors in Hedeng District, Linyi City, were gathered for a Bible Study when their meeting was disrupted by police officials.

According to Pastor Li, an eyewitness, 40-50 policemen from 12 different towns were involved in the massive detention. The pastors were then handcuffed two-by-two and taken to the local police station for questioning. As of this morning 150 pastors remain in custody. The others have been released on a Y300 ($40) interrogation fee.

The humiliation these pastors received by being led away in handcuffs as common criminals, for attending a Bible study is an unjustifiable act of religious persecution. In addition, the large scale and high profile of the detentions shows the apathy of Chinese officials in moving towards a policy for toleration of religious freedom. Behavior unbecoming of the World's host for the Olympic games in 2008.

China Aid will continue to monitor the situation.

Hisservant rich

Matthew 4:17

2008/2/12 11:38Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

What concerns me is that in America and the UK, where entertainment prevails, that news stories like this are just that - stories we're used to seeing and have become hardened to. They don't affect us because it's not happening to us.

As Christians, we need to know that this is our family being attacked, persecuted, tortured and imprisoned. This DOES affect us! These are real, live people, not just just still photos that show up on the news.

We, as the body of Christ, are responsible for each other. We need to remember our brothers and sisters in prayer. To lift them before the Father and bathe them in prayer. We're so protected. We don't know this kind of persecution and harrassment. These people risk their very lives just [i]being[/i] a Christian! Yet, God is so real to them that they count it worth any cost! Could we do the same? Would we like someone praying for us in that situation?

These events are real and happen daily, saints! We need to be in prayer! It's the covering and protection our brothers and sisters rely on!

2008/2/12 12:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
What concerns me is that in America and the UK, where entertainment prevails, that news stories like this are just that - stories we're used to seeing and have become hardened to. They don't affect us because it's not happening to us.

What if we didn't have the media to tell us this? Back in the day it would have taken months or even years before this kind of information reached our shores. What do we do with the information we do get, pray? I got too much on my plate here as it is to be burdened with Nigeria. Only God can be concerned about the whole world, we are not able to take it all upon us.

Yes, we have all the luxuries all around us, but at the same time, we also have our concerns as well. Unsaved loved ones. I learned recently that my Sister has a disease that can be fatal if not treated. I am more concerned about my family and their salvation then I am with a country that I don't know about on the otherside of the galaxy. If God moves upon me to interceed, great, but all I can offer is a sigh and a "Oh that is awful" or "God help them".

If anyone has a burden for Nigeria, for goodness sake PRAY!!

2008/2/12 15:16
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

I am in Nigeria right know sitting behind my 10 foot wall with 3 feet barbed wire fence on top of that. There is 3 security guards on all night. If I leave to travel in Lagos I have a car with darkened windows with 2 securtiy presonnel with me. As well as the 4 in the car behind with semi automatic guns. But thank God I am not up in the north or eastern parts of Nigeria.

The thing that gets to me most is the beggars when we are in traffic blind children begging on the highways. People with disformaties that you don't seem to see in the western world. What about the Fathers who send there daughters out to be harlots. To make money to feed there families. Would you as a Father want to send your daughters out onto the streets. Then again you see the ultra rich people here as well those who have become very rich due to the natural wealth that is in this country. Yes this a strange strange place indeed.

You can see also the signS up at nearly every street corner. Sign, Wonders, Breakthrough all the hype that goes with the prosperity Gospel. Trying to be like those the see on TBN. Recently TJ Jakes and John Hagee a report 10 million people turned out to see them. The city came to a stand still there are 19 million people in Lagos. These people are hungry for God.

I spoke about Moslems just like I do in UK (nothing to radical) to one guy here and he said to me people die in this country for saying such things.

We should be grateful very grateful for what we have.

I have been hearing God call me recently he has been talking to me about going to the poor and praying for the church. I hear God say to me take care of my church and I'll take care of your family.

One thing I have noticed about the poor they will share there last with you. We in the West are the opposite we get all we can, then can what we can.

Deut 15:11 For the poor will never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt surely open thy hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor, in thy land.

2008/2/12 16:08Profile

Re:

Quote:
I hear God say to me take care of my church and I'll take care of your family.

Great men of God have heard that same message from the LORD. And their families have been tended to richly, while they tend to the Churches. Don't hesitate brother for a moment, there is a cloud of witnesses behind you rooting you on.

Very encouraging to hear those words from you brother. God Bless you and protect you while you are in this volatile nation.

2008/2/12 16:44

Re:

Brother Colin said ~ [i]"I have been hearing God call me recently he has been talking to me about going to the poor and praying for the church. I hear God say to me take care of my church and I'll take care of your family.

One thing I have noticed about the poor they will share there last with you."[/i]

Our GOD is calling His Entire Church to this.

2008/2/12 16:56
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
by Compliments on 2008/2/12 14:16:24

Quote: SimpleLiving said:

[i]What concerns me is that in America and the UK, where entertainment prevails, that news stories like this are just that - stories we're used to seeing and have become hardened to. They don't affect us because it's not happening to us.[/i]

Compliments said:

What if we didn't have the media to tell us this? Back in the day it would have taken months or even years before this kind of information reached our shores.

Firstly, my point wasn't about getting our news from the media. My point is that the US and the UK are entertainment driven and tend not to give two thoughts to the horrors our brothers and sisters are enduring in other countries.

Quote:
What do we do with the information we do get, pray? I got too much on my plate here as it is to be burdened with Nigeria. Only God can be concerned about the whole world, we are not able to take it all upon us.

I am deeply grieved over this remark. Deeply. It costs us very little, when we read news like this, to take a couple minutes to pray for those in Nigeria. You don't need a burden to pray for others; just compassion and a couple of minutes. Using the "I don't have a burden in this area" comment is American "Christian" lingo as an excuse to do nothing! God loves these people and that alone is enough reason to pray - out of love for our Father who hurts when His children hurt.

Quote:
Yes, we have all the luxuries all around us, but at the same time, we also have our concerns as well. Unsaved loved ones. I learned recently that my Sister has a disease that can be fatal if not treated. I am more concerned about my family and their salvation then I am with a country that I don't know about on the otherside of the galaxy. If God moves upon me to interceed, great, but all I can offer is a sigh and a "Oh that is awful" or "God help them".

Are we living for ourselves or for the Father? Our wills or His? You can't pray because you have unsaved loved ones? Does your prayer for them take up that much of your time that there's no room make mention of others before the Father? Your concerns are more important that honoring God's? All you can offer is a sigh? When you ask others for prayer, are these the responses you'd like to hear in return? "I have my own problems, brother, and have no time for you." What if God had that response?

And yet, to another post in this thread, you respond thusly:

Quote:
Great men of God have heard that same message from the LORD. And their families have been tended to richly, while they tend to the Churches.

It's contradictory to how you replied above in the way that it applies to others and not you.

2008/2/12 21:13Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

I apologize for the bluntness of my previous post. It came out of [i] utter shock[/i] of the your post. They're still my thoughts on your response, Compliments, but I didn't need to be so blunt.

I also overlooked this sentence of your post:

Quote:
I learned recently that my Sister has a disease that can be fatal if not treated.

I am sorry to hear this news, and I pray your sister is successfully treated for this illness and that her health is fully restored.

2008/2/12 21:28Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:

murrcolr wrote:
I am in Nigeria right know sitting behind my 10 foot wall with 3 feet barbed wire fence on top of that. There is 3 security guards on all night. If I leave to travel in Lagos I have a car with darkened windows with 2 securtiy presonnel with me. As well as the 4 in the car behind with semi automatic guns. But thank God I am not up in the north or eastern parts of Nigeria.

The thing that gets to me most is the beggars when we are in traffic blind children begging on the highways. People with disformaties that you don't seem to see in the western world. What about the Fathers who send there daughters out to be harlots. To make money to feed there families. Would you as a Father want to send your daughters out onto the streets. Then again you see the ultra rich people here as well those who have become very rich due to the natural wealth that is in this country. Yes this a strange strange place indeed.

You can see also the signS up at nearly every street corner. Sign, Wonders, Breakthrough all the hype that goes with the prosperity Gospel. Trying to be like those the see on TBN. Recently TJ Jakes and John Hagee a report 10 million people turned out to see them. The city came to a stand still there are 19 million people in Lagos. These people are hungry for God.

I spoke about Moslems just like I do in UK (nothing to radical) to one guy here and he said to me people die in this country for saying such things.

We should be grateful very grateful for what we have.

I have been hearing God call me recently he has been talking to me about going to the poor and praying for the church. I hear God say to me take care of my church and I'll take care of your family.

One thing I have noticed about the poor they will share there last with you. We in the West are the opposite we get all we can, then can what we can.

Deut 15:11 For the poor will never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt surely open thy hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor, in thy land.

Wow. This helped to open my eyes Thank you for sharing brother and I will be praying for His will to be done.

2008/2/12 23:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy