SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : BLASPHEMOUS "SAVED!" FILM

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Without audiovisual aids (especially TV) the saints of old were able to lay hold of God, saw heavenly things and the beauty of God's holiness, understood the depths of God's heart in scripture simply because they were driven to their knees and not to the TV or movie screens.

God have mercy on us! This statement just adds to the extreme urgency I feel in my heart to get back to God in our our prayer closets and begin to trevail before God for a real manifestation of the Holy Ghost. I have to ask myself, where are the days when Christians walked so close to God that sinners were convicted in their presence without them saying a word?

There is way too much worldliness in the Church and I propose its because the ministers of the present don't walk with God as did the ministers of the past. Its pitiful that we have to have so much dash and pomp to try to get some peoples attention and then keep it during a service.

I'm tired of mundane Christianity. If I never watched TV again it would be too soon. It is such a destraction from the precious presence of God. I heard a youth minister once say that Christians sit in front of CNN and Fox News and take it into their system "introveniously." I think its more like blood letting myself. The more Christians sit in front of it the weaker they get. It steals the presence of God and fills the heart with the spirit of AntiChrist.

We have to get fed up and take the fight to the enemy on our knees and in our ministries- by pulling down strong holds.

In 1993 a 19 year minister in our church preached a sermon titled, "May the lives of Thy Saints be Purged by Fire!" Beloved we need to subject ourselves to that fire once again and yield to the hand of the smelter! The refining fire of the Holy Ghost will purge the dross of these things that we might become chosen vessels! I'm reminded of Jeremiah, "The bellows are burned, the lead is consumed of the fire; the founder melteth in vain: for the wicked are not plucked away. Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them." How hot does God have to get the Church in this nation before we repent?

2004/6/12 15:34Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Re:

I don't have a TV so I'm clueless about this movie except what i've read here. (I've never heard of it.) I'm shocked. Is this actually going to come out in theaters nationwide? Is this for public viewing? When does it come out?

If all this is true, let not one Christian dollar go to support such filth.

2004/6/13 21:00Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

(Leonard Ravenhill)

As dear Dr. Tozer used to say "Len, you knew one thing about a man that was carrying a cross out of the city, you knew he wasn't coming back."
We just come from an altar and we go back the next week and we're as fascinated, we haven't spent a half hour with Jesus but will stay two stinking hours in a movie house.

And Paul says that's what the world is to me it's a system of corruption and rottenness and vileness.

It's anti-Christ from the word go.

Is the world crucified to you tonight?
Or does it fascinate you?

From the: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1573&forum=40]Revival Hymn Transcription[/url]

---

I just had to post that had it running through my mind so much. ;-)

2004/6/14 10:45Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Absense of Fear, Use of Culture

I agree that there's a lot of lack of fear of the Lord anymore these days. I think a lot of "Christians" don't know what sin is anymore. I think a lot, especially youth, ask how close to the line they can get, when the question is how close to the Lord can you get? I did get that from several teachings by the way.

[sigh] Concerning a comment along the lines of how sad it is to have to go through Hollywood to get Christian messages out (it was something about The Passion of Christ)... I don't know, is that sad? I've been learning about missions lately because I'm going on a trip next weekend, and one thing I learned was that God is a missionary God. And Jesus used culture to speak to people, for example, "I am the bread of life..." If you knew how important, culturally, bread was to the Jews, you would understand how important Jesus was saying He was. Now, if you were to go to, let's say China, and you tell them that Jesus is the bread of life, well, bread isn't important to them and they wouldn't get the deep meaning of that statement. So it would be okay to interpret to them that Jesus is the "rice" of life. My point is, TV, movies and entertainment in general is a big part of our culture so I don't think there's anything wrong with God's light, and good moral values coming out from it. Anything can be used for good or bad. Just because someone takes something and uses it for bad doesn't mean someone else can't come along and use that same thing for good. And I could go on and on about this and practically start another topic, but I won't.

One more thing... yeah, so these "sermon" guys didn't have TV back then... who's to say that if they were living today they wouldn't have their sermons broadcasted on TV. And you know, you could argue that the Internet is bad, worldly and corrupt and no Christian should dare go on it. But look, this site is on the secular Internet and it's doing good for people. So I don't think you should put down how or where God's light comes out. I think it's a frivolous arguement.

2004/6/14 13:37Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re:

Quote:
Concerning a comment along the lines of how sad it is to have to go through Hollywood to get Christian messages out (it was something about The Passion of Christ)... I don't know, is that sad?

Hmm, I think a sensitive area was touched here. Yodi, the exact statement was

Quote:
The fact that God would have to use hollywood (e.g., The Passion of the Christ) to reach [b]Christians[/b] is something that should make us think. Is it because we Christians enjoy the same pleasures the world does?

I was talking about [b]Christians[/b], not unbelievers. The issue, I believe, is not on the merits of TV, movie or the internet (although I still believe that much is junk) but as a source of pleasure for Christians. God reveals Himself as we seek Him with all our hearts. Yes, He may use TV, movie or internet for His purposes but our delight is not in these but in knowing who He is. In fact, even though this site is good and God given, our time spent here must never substitute or take away our time of fellowship with our Master. He may even require us to give up our ministry if that becomes a hindrance.

Quote:
I'll make a little guess here. In all probability those preachers whose sermons are found here in SI either seldom watch or don't watch TV or movie at all

Great victories come out only from great battles. Deep revelation come from earnest and wholehearted seeking of the Lord. The reason why
I made that guess or conclusion is due to the fact that when a Christian is so caught up with the Lover of his soul will he have time to be entertained by something else?
Come to think of it, perhaps the reason why we are entertained by what entertains the world is because we haven't really seen the beauty of our God. If a face could launch a thousand ships to war I wonder what a Christian would do if he continually beholds the beauty of our Master and Lord?

I understand there was TV during Ravenhill's time (he died 1986?). David Wilkerson, Carter Conlon are still alive. These three (at least) stopped watching TV at one point in their lives. I don't know about the others. It's still a matter of choice, I guess.

And finally, peace, my sister :-)

2004/6/14 15:13Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think it does come down to choice, which comes from personal conviction. And, well, everyone's at a different place there, I think. I don't think anyone is really right or wrong, just as long as you're not entertaining yourself with stuff that's morally and Biblically against the Bible and God. I'm not against others who don't watch TV or movies at all. Better to be safe than sorry, right? But I wouldn't think bad of a Christian who did, of course taking into account that they weren't entertaining themselves with obviously spiritually grieving stuff.

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe God calls some to totally abstain from the society and culture around them so He can use them, and then calls others to be in the society and culture to be a light. Somebody's gotta be praying and somebody else has got to be gettin' out there and witnessing, right? I think that might be where the different parts of the body come in. But yes, whatever our calling, I think we all should be seeking the Lord on what might be a hindrance to our particular calling.

2004/6/14 18:34Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: SAVED

Brethren,
I believe we must ask ourselves the same question that Elisha posed, "WHERE IS THE LORD GOD OF ELIJAH"
I am sure HE is not in theaters. It is amazing how against such things as plays, and entertainment the men and women of old were. I do not for one second believe that a woman such as Fanny Crosby(even with sight) partook much of the worldly delights of her day.
Even sadder is that the trailer for this was shown prior to the Passion when i saw it, and people in the crowd giggled, and thought it cute, and entertaining.
I believe bro. Ravenhill said something to this effect "Entertainment is Satan's substitue for joy" Better still, the same BIBLE we all read and profess to love and hold as true says "ALL that is in the world is not of the FATHER..."
May GOD bless you all

2004/6/14 18:35Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
So it would be okay to interpret to them that Jesus is the "rice" of life. My point is, TV, movies and entertainment in general is a big part of our culture so I don't think there's anything wrong with God's light, and good moral values coming out from it.

Yes TV is part of the cultural fabric of our day but that does not mean we must partake of it. Jesus talked to sinners, etc but he didnt going to situations that would utterly comprimise his Holiness and sinless character. He wouldn't have sat down to watch a movie and hear the blessed name of GOD blasmphemed repeatly.

For me its come to a point where I cant just watch a movie there is so much swearing, blaspheming, sexual jokes and peversity, and other things that it grieves me because I know its wrong. It doesn't matter who you are if you are Christian when you go see a movie in our day, count how many times there is something said that is wrong that I mentioned above. I have had friends tell me they walked out of the theater with tears in their eyes because they got convicted and realized that so many of the words were sinful and against God. I'm done with it, I am finished with the world. Have your concsience clear before God.

2004/6/14 18:57Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
So it would be okay to interpret to them that Jesus is the "rice" of life. My point is, TV, movies and entertainment in general is a big part of our culture so I don't think there's anything wrong with God's light, and good moral values coming out from it.

Again I must quote the same thing said by brother Ravenhill:

"Do you know what entertainment is? - Entertainmet is the devil substitute for joy. And the more joy you have in the Lord the less entertainment you need"

Just came to my mind what brother Wilkerson said in one sermon, I don't remember the exact words but it was like "One day we will all stand in front of Jesus and we'll give account about every wasted hour in front of TV instead to spend time with Him"

2004/6/14 19:22Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Ravenhill or the Bible?

Ummm... is Ravenhill a book of the Bible I never read? That was sarcastic. You know, I'm sure that guy has had some good things to say, but he is [b]just[/b] a guy. I don't know of any verse in the Bible that says entertainment is the devil's substitute for joy. I don't mean to put down a brother. That's not my point. My point is that quote is a man's opinion.

The devil also had the gift of music. Should we not play or listen to music? You know, he's in control of a lot of things down here on earth because for the time being he's the Prince of this place. But that doesn't mean God's light can't shine where he tries to destroy.

And you know, the different charateristics that make us up were made in the image of God. You look at creation and you get a wee glimpse at the creativity of our Creator. I doubt that He gets mad at us being entertained. I think that's something that makes up a human being just like laughter and tears do. There's nothing wrong with enjoying, as long as we're enjoying things that wouldn't grieve the Lord.

I don't know why I keep putting in input concerning the "entertainment" topic because all it's created is a circle shaped path. One day I'll finally just be silent. In the meantime, this is my opinion.

2004/6/14 22:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy