SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : We need to cover head covering

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
mission101

Wellman, Iowa

Re:

Quote:

Head coverings is hardly an essential, my brothers and sisters.

Some people's essentials might differ from yours and is that acceptable??

2008/2/11 14:32Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

[u][b]Exodus 29:18 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, an offering made to the LORD by fire.

This was also pleasing to the Lord. Would you say that it is still permisable to burn rams in sacrifices because it "pleases the Lord"? How about incense? This is another pleasing aroma to the Lord. Do we still need to burn incense when worshiping in order to please Him?

2008/2/11 14:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
OK, but it is pleasing to our Lord and Saviour because it reflects headship. If this is ignored then the outward expression is that we are ignoring headship which is rebellion against God in our hearts and this is serious and can't be written off as a non-essential!

It's only pleasing to Him if thats how He meant to be interpretted thru Paul in that one section of scripture... which I wholly believe He did not. You dont have to understand much about grammer to properly understand that Paul was not saying that women should wear head coverings... she already has one. In fact, Paul stated that if someone wanted to contend with him on the issue, he wasnt interested (in so many words).

Krispy

2008/2/11 14:33

Re:

Quote:
This was also pleasing to the Lord. Would you say that it is still permisable to burn rams in sacrifices because it "pleases the Lord"? How about incense? This is another pleasing aroma to the Lord. Do we still need to burn incense when worshiping in order to please Him?

... or tithes, or cicumcism, or temple taxes, or celebrating passover, or celebrating the feast of tents, or (fill in the blank)...

It's interesting that one thing leads to another with those who wish to pick and choose which parts of the OT law they want to obey, and convince others to obey them along with them.

Paul had a name for false teachers who did that: "Judaisers" (not sure I spelled that right)

[b]Galations 3:1-2[/b] [i]O foolish Galatians, who hath [b]bewitched[/b] you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?[/i]

[b]Galations 5:2-4[/b] [i]Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, [b]Christ shall profit you nothing.[/b] For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a [b]debtor to do the whole law.[/b] Christ is become of [b][u]no effect[/u][/b] unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.[/i]

Soooo... basically, if you insist the believer must tithe, or wear a head covering, or be circumcised, or whatever... then YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO KEEP THE WHOLE LAW.

...not to mention that Christ has become of no effect on you.

I'll take grace. :-)

Krispy

2008/2/11 14:43

Re:

Quote:
You certainly wouldn't demand that a 35 yr old man who just saved to go get a circumcision, would you? That was an outward sign just like a head covering is. Well, why then would you insist that Christian women need to wear a head covering?

OUCH!! Good Point! :-P

2008/2/11 15:37

Re:

Yea... my vasectomy was bad enough. At least most of us dont remember circumcision! lol...

(watch... in about an hour there will be a debate over whether a Christian should get a vasectomy! It's shaping up to be that kind of week, I think!)

Krispy

2008/2/11 15:42
poet

Longview WA

Re:

Let's look at this at another angle..
I want to go to Kenya,
I was invited by a missionary friend for my Wife and I to go and help during one of the tours he go's on.
My wife was told, oh by the way, you must wear a long dress there, NO PANTS.
I have a choice, eithere ingore him and let my wife wear pants, or humble ourselves or herself and wear a dress.
Why, because of the culture there at this time.
The people will not receive a woman who wears pants because they think the woman is elevating herself to a position of authority that does not belong, and to try and speak into someone's life with that aparrent attitude will not work.
Her rights must be left on the wayside for the sake of the gospel.
In Pauls day when he wrote that verse about head coverings, I am quite sure that did apply, for the sake of the gospel they submitted to covering to not cause offense.
To try and make a doctrine over this issue is purely Legalistic.
If here in America men saw women as being non submissive and It caused people to fall away from Christ because of head covering, I suppose we would ask women to cover their heads.
And as for men, If I was asked by my pastor I need to wear a suit and tie to church because someone was stumbling over it, I would buy a suit.
Christ is more important than our Rights, or weather our heads are covered or we have suits on, or can I have a coffee cup in the sanctuary.
Whew.. glad thats over...

2008/2/11 15:44Profile

Re:

Poet... thats pretty simple:

[b]1 Corinthians 9:22[/b] [i]To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.[/i]

[b]1 Corinthians 10:33[/b] [i]Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.[/i]

[b]1 Corinthians 8:8-9[/b] [i]But meat [u](HEAD COVERINGS)[/u] commendeth us [b]not[/b] to God: for neither, if we eat [u](WEAR A HEAD COVERING)[/u], are we the better; neither, if we eat [u](WEAR A HEAD COVERING)[/u] not, are we the worse. But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.[/i]

Krispy

2008/2/11 15:52
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Quotable

Quote:
Just an observation here... but why dont people on here argue their points using scripture anymore? Everyone quotes Spurgeon, Pink, Pratney... etc... as tho their words were God breathed.

Sure you will catch the irony here ... but to paraphrase a quote being quoted by Alister Begg, who was quoting someone else;

[i]The wise man quotes those who are wiser than themselves[/i]

8-)

2008/2/11 15:52Profile

Re:

Good point Mike... I guess I should be quoting from everybody! lol

Krispy

2008/2/11 15:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy