SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Beginning bible Study

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Everlast

Missouri

Beginning bible Study

I am beginning a bible study with College Age student and wonder if there were an curriculum that was apporpropritate? They are ready for some meant and bones, since they had the baby milk in High School. Any recommendations would b greatly appreicated. By the way...these student are on fire and eagerly want to search more of Him. Most Thanks,

Sincerely :-?

2004/6/10 0:46Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re: Beginning bible Study

Try working through the book of Hebrews, you will have to read Leviticus and Numbers first though ;-)

2004/6/10 4:13Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Quote:"Try working through the book of Hebrews. ..."

Ditto.

[u]The Holiest of All[/u] by Andrew Murray is splendid toward this end.

2004/6/10 7:26Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Sounds like you want some references to some good Bible studies because you mentioned "curriculum". But, like suggested, why can't you do a book of the Bible?

This may not seem like the answer you want, and it may be too simple, but having led Bible studies myself, and seeing the example of other Bible Study leaders, why don't you just pray about it. It never fails! Every time I, or someone else has done that, God lays a certain book of the Bible or a Bible study to go along with the Bible, on our hearts.

Oh, and speaking of the book of Hebrews, I'm reading that book right now for my devotions! The verse I read this morning actually talks about eating meat and not drinking milk like babies anymore. Interesting, interesting...

2004/6/11 14:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Nasher

Quote:
Try working through the book of Hebrews, you will have to read Leviticus and Numbers first though

although you probably won't understand Leviticus and Numbers until you have read Hebrews. ;-)

It is an interesting point to ask whether or not the Old or New Testament is the best starting place. William Tyndale recommended the study of Romans for many reasons; one of which was as the best introduction to the Old Testament. :-?

My own starting point would be Galatians. It was written to comparitively young Christians and it gives an opportunity to underline key personal truths. You can use it as a New Testament introduction by dipping into Acts to examine the issues that Paul was having to face, and as it is most likely the earliest of Paul's letters it is a good preparation for the rest. For some years I did bible studies with men and women from several different countries. Whatever else I did, I always did Galatians.

2004/6/11 15:48Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

while I do believe bible study should be about all things the "Bible", part of that is being covered in the Wednesday evening service. I want to discuss the bible, I want to discuss modern daily conernce and problems. So perhaps Bible Exloration is more appropriate. If someone poses a question about abortion, or sexual immoraltiy, I don't want to give "Pat" answer from the Bible, but want to be able to discuss these modern , relavant topics with an extreme Bible base, hence the curriculum. The Sunday school class, and wednesday class cover some of that, but not to the depth that the student would like. Thanks for the input though, I greatly appreciate it! :-P

2004/6/13 0:23Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

Thanks to those who have responsded. Rocklife I will indeed check out Ray Comforts site. I think we need to reach these kids in different ways, nay..aposotolic bibilical ways. I don't want it to the the same old dry stuff their are used to getting, I want to make it alive, have them them get involved in ministry to make it hit home. Thanks, for the input.

Shelly

2004/6/13 23:26Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I am beginning a bible study with College Age student and wonder if there were an curriculum that was apporpropritate?

Would anyone suggest any good ciriculum's that are available already to purchase? I know most of the stuff out there using is not good and thats why there is alot of response in this forum towards just reading the scripture alone, but I think it would be helpful also to have some type of guideline. I think a great idea to have a spiritual commentary ie. andrew murray on hebrews. Actually while im thinking on this topic if you purchase the newest edition of the book "Why Revival Tarries" there are questions at the back for each chapter and I am sure you could include some scripture to tie in with that? hmm that would be neat.

2004/6/13 23:55Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

Would anyone suggest any good ciriculum's that are available already to purchase? I know most of the stuff out there using is not good and thats why there is alot of response in this forum towards just reading the scripture alone, but I think it would be helpful also to have some type of guideline. I think a great idea to have a spiritual commentary ie. andrew murray on hebrews. Actually while im thinking on this topic if you purchase the newest edition of the book "Why Revival Tarries" there are questions at the back for each chapter and I am sure you could include some scripture to tie in with that? hmm that would be neat.

I have been looking at Radiant Life's Curriculum through the AG. I completey agree that without the Bible, it is not a Bible study but a group of people banding about their particular theologies. I want something that at every turn of the topic has Bible references, but that also deals with topics that these teens and young adults deal with. I don't feel it's enough to study the Book of John and have them freely equipped to deal with the sexual immorality among their peers and how to reach them. Now, I also don't want to discount the awesome and wonderful power of the Holy Spirit to do His work, but I would like to expound on some of these issues to give them an edge against the rest of the "Christian" world who can quote Bible but couldn't explain it to you. So if indeed, any of you have other sound effective curriculum, I would love to hear from you. Many Thanks.

2004/6/14 14:36Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Hey Shelly

I think that it is wonderful that you are taking your own personal time to serve God; may the Lord bless you and give the increase for spiritual growth in your classes. I would like to express my opinion as a “college age” student (nineteen).

To begin with, at my age, my basic bible knowledge really is not what it should be. When I began my basic bible study, I soon discovered that I need the “clay of knowledge” of the bible, before I could sculpt it with study aids. For the first time I read the New Testament in its entirety and I was astounded at what the bible had to say. Having been a Christian all my life, I thought I had a good idea what the bible had to say. I went to church every Sunday, I went to bible study classes, I went to Sunday school, a had some verses memorized and so I assumed I knew what the bible was about and that I need to read some other source of truth. I was mistaken.

Although this may be too basic at first glance, going through the entire New Testament is very powerful. A basic program that gets them to read about ten Chapters a day in their own time, in my opinion, would change their lives. They may not get all the points the first time round but they will get something. Class discussions will be far more productive if the students are speaking of scriptures and not of their own opinions all the time. I of course have no idea what these students are like but, if they are anything like me, they may have been measuring their righteousness according to the world and not according to the standard God has set for them. I assume that at that age they are coming to the bible study of their own accord because they wish to know God. If this is the case, they will have no problem putting in an hour of reading everyday for God.

As far as actual class time I think that, any structured program you come up with will be good. It is my opinion that as the students read more and more of the bible; the lesson will come alive with the spirit bringing all things to their remembrance

Your son in Christ

James

2004/6/14 19:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy