SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Baptist resolution gets critical endorsement

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Baptist resolution gets critical endorsement

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

The Home School Legal Defense Association, or HSLDA, has endorsed a resolution before the Southern Baptist Convention that would direct its members to yank their children out of public schools and either homeschool them or send them to Christian schools.

As WorldNetDaily reported, the resolution, introduced by activists T.C. Pinckney and Bruce Shortt, asks "all officers and members of the Southern Baptist Convention and the churches associated with it to remove their children from the government schools and see to it that they receive a thoroughly Christian education, for the glory of God, the good of Christ's church, and the strength of their own commitment to Jesus."

The measure has been referred to the SBC Resolutions Committee, which makes recommendations to the floor of the Baptists' convention occurring in Indianapolis next week.

"HSLDA strongly supports this resolution," the organization said in an e-mail to supporters. The group, the largest of its kind in the nation, urges homeschoolers who are Baptist to contact members of the Resolutions Committee and tell them to "allow an up or down vote on the Christian Education Resolution."

"Homeschooling is growing rapidly and successfully producing mature Christian citizens with a biblical worldview," the notice said. "It's time for the wider Christian community to make the choice for homeschooling."

2004/6/9 12:17Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Baptist resolution gets critical endorsement

We home school our three children and it really is a blessing. At the same time, it is quite a challenge and a time commitment.

I do wonder, however, with the state of the Church today, is the Church really ready for such an endeavor? Is the Church ready for the sacrifice that this would require? Is the Church ready for the prayer, time and financial commitment this would involve?

All in all, are Christian hearts really that committed to their families? With so many homes fragmented and broken... So many dads who spend minimal time with their children... So many moms already working outside of the home...

I don't wish to sound pessimistic, I think this would be a great thing for the Body.

However, is it realistic?

Has the prophecy been fulfilled? Have the hearts of the fathers been restored to their children? Have the hearts of the children been restored to their fathers? (Malachi 4:6)

If so, this is part of making "ready a people prepared for the Lord." (Luke 1:17)

2004/6/9 13:12Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Having been homeschooled, I must say I'm a bit shocked. Homeschooling by all means is not for everybody. And sending your kids to private school as an alternative to public school is not always good either. Some kids in private school are worse than kids in public school... not to mention the economics of this is simply not practical.

What the SBC should be doing is not calling for the removal of Christians children from the public schools, rather, they should be telling parents to train up their children in the fear of the Lord, or be removed from the SBC.

2004/6/9 13:27Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Quote:
What the SBC should be doing is not calling for the removal of Christians children from the public schools, rather, they should be telling parents to train up their children in the fear of the Lord, or be removed from the SBC.

Good point!

However, it begs the question - How many Southern Baptist fear the Lord so that the could teach it to their children (Psalm 78)?
Does the SBC even fear the Lord?

We must go to the root of the problem before we address the fruit!

2004/6/9 13:37Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

I believe we should not raise our children in the public system. The school's dont teach about God, don't use the bible! The bible is the greatest piece of literature in the world and they don't use it! go figure. Thats ignorance, the bible as literature has been the foundation of the americian society. If they are in that atmosphere 5 days of the week and you have them for 1 hour in sunday school, I wonder whats going to influnce them more. Hmm maybe TV? :-P

2004/6/9 13:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

However, it begs the question - How many Southern Baptist fear the Lord so that the could teach it to their children (Psalm 78)?
Does the SBC even fear the Lord?

Seeing that many of them believe in once saved always saved, probably not very many.

It is so sad though, that the Scriptures give so much exhortation for parents to disciple their children and bring them up in the ways of God, yet most have decided to "delegate" that responsibility to the 1 hr Sunday School class.

2004/6/9 14:27Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It is so sad though, that the Scriptures give so much exhortation for parents to disciple their children and bring them up in the ways of God, yet most have decided to "delegate" that responsibility to the 1 hr Sunday School class.

hmm very true that is quite sad. But I think SBC is trying to combat that and getting people interested in their children's upbringing more. I think its a good move and it shows concern and awareness of the problem on the side of SBC you cannot say anything against there effort here. But you can pray that they will be genuinly concerned about this and intercede on behalf of the parents who are going to take this [b]new[/b] responsibility on. ;-)

2004/6/9 14:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy