SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Return to Worship: Letters to the Church by Ron Owens

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Return to Worship: Letters to the Church by Ron Owens

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805418881/qid=1086792145/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-9026170-6840136?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]Return to Worship: Letters to the Church[/url]

I have not read this book personally but it does look very interesting and I might obtain a copy, here are some random user comments:a

---

Sadly dissapointed, December 5, 2003
Reviewer: A reader from Kansas City, Missouri
I have spent multiple occasions in worship with Ron and Patricia Owens and have been extremely thankful for their fresh style of worship. I purchased this book from Ron himself with great anticipation. I was unfortunately dissapointed. So much of the book lacked the scriptural support that I have come to expect from him. Secondly, as a former missionary, I was greatly dissapointed by the western bias that was at times evident. Certain items are deemed unacceptable in the book because of their regard, or disregard, in our culture yet they are in reality used effectively among other cultures and this is not considered in this book and neither is a scriptural support given to explain Ron's difficulty with these matters. All in all it is certainly a thought provoking book, yet one with which I must regretfully say failed to live up to my expectations for it.

---

Prophetic Words for Today¿s Worship Leaders, September 16, 2001
Reviewer: Mark S Krenz (see more about me) from Anderson, IN United States
This diverse collection of letters by Ron Owens to the church and various individuals and leaders of worship is challenging, gut-honest, and inspiring. Owens takes an honest look at worship in the church of America today and is calling the church to a higher standard. He helps us look beneath the surface issues of worship styles and music programs to the heart of worship.

Owen's fundamental starting points are that God alone is worthy of our worship, and that we were created to worship God. Worship begins and ends with the sovereign Lord. We must learn to come to God on his terms and embody this worship in our everyday lives.

While the letters in part one of this book address the church and its worship, the letters in part two are addressed to worship leaders. These letters take on a more practical tone and offer great wisdom regarding worship issues ranging from how we should understand and practice baptism and communion to the appropriate place of applause in worship.

This book is a wonderful resource for worship leaders not only for personal and professional challenge, but for use with worship boards, teams, and choirs. These letters are thought-provoking and convicting and could inspire tremendous change in the hearts of readers willing to make changes in their worship of God.

---

Keeping the Focus of Worship on God, September 10, 2001
Reviewer: Michael D. Hone (see more about me) from Hickory, NC
In "Return to Worship" Owens writes thirty-seven "letters" to the church, worship leaders, pastors, and ministers of music. The letters express a deep love and passion for worship and addresses concerns facing the church today in relation to worship. Owens' letter-writing style creates a sense of personal identification. It is as if the author addressed these letters to me! Owens calls the church to focus upon God and forms of worship must not cloud that focus. In fact, Owens confronts the issue of music in worship and says, "to many, worship is music, and music is worship, and many worship music" (1999:6).

Broad ranges of issues are addressed including music, audiovisuals, sacraments, applause in worship and many others. In addition to raising these practical concerns for worship Owens concludes with four helpful appendixes (a choir covenant, a checklist for worship leaders, twenty-four questions to ask yourself in preparation for the Lord's Supper, and an article entitled "When Church Was Just Church: Worship Center or Theatre?").

"Return to Worship" is a wonderfully practical book; a must-read for pastors and those responsible for providing worship leadership in the local church.

2004/6/9 10:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy