SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : A news article saying "1 million have died in Iraq".

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
davidt

A news article saying "1 million have died in Iraq".

Over one million Iraqis killed by war
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:43:47

Conflicts in Iraq have killed more than one million people.

Research conducted by a leading British polling group shows that more than one million Iraqis have died as a result of war in their country.

The survey, conducted by Opinion Research Business (ORB) with 2,414 adults in face-to-face interviews, found that 20 percent of people had had at least one death in their household because of the conflict, rather than natural causes, Reuters reported.

The survey has been conducted in August and September 2007 with a 1.7 percent margin of error.

The research covered 15 of Iraq's 18 provinces. Those not covered included two of Iraq's more volatile regions -- Karbala and Anbar -- and the northern province of Arbil, where local authorities refused them a permit to work.

The director of the ORB, Allan Hyde, said it had no objective other than to record as accurately as possible the number of deaths among the Iraqi population as a result of the invasion and ensuing conflict.

To link to the article:
[url=http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=41057§ionid=351020201]click here[/url]

2008/2/2 2:36Profile
paula4jc

Re: A news article saying "1 million have died in Iraq".

It is ironic that 1 million who probably never heard the gospel died at the hand of a country whose people and President are professing Christians. Lord Jesus, save my wretched soul! Let me live to serve you alone!

2008/2/2 11:14Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi paula4jc...

Quote:
It is ironic that 1 million who probably never heard the gospel died at the hand of a country whose people and President are professing Christians.

Do you think that it is wise to make such a judgment based upon a single poll that may or may not be accurate? Before we go about pointing the finger of responsibility, we might want to consider how many people have died at the hand of Saddam Hussein. Next, we might want to consider how many individuals have died at the hands of radical Islamic militants (rather than at the hands of the US military). Finally, we might want to consider other estimates that might take into account more scientific methods of such "death counting." Some of the "death counts" are often accused of counting the same dead person twice or more (since they are based upon interviewing relatives). Since many of the areas most affected are tribal, there are multiple relatives who often point to the same individual.

A study by the British-based Iraq Body Count research group points to a figure roughly 1/20 of this "million man" number. The Pentagon also believes that the number is far less, pointing to a recent census taken by the new Iraqi government. This census reflects a death count similar to the numbers counted by most other credible organizations.

Please do not mistake this post as a defense of the war in Iraq or the American (and coalition) forces. While every individual is certainly important in the sight of God, we need to be careful about casting premature or poor judgment. There are some "polling organizations" out there who have predesired outcomes (on both sides). We should be careful about such things.

:-(

2008/2/2 15:44Profile
pastorfrin

Re: A news article saying "1 million have died in Iraq".

Hi davidt,

Thank you for the article.

Hi paula4jc,

I agree with you that it is very ironic and what is even more ironic is how some would push the surveys of the top two coalition forces as being more accurate.

Chris,
Brother, this is leaning towards what one might call ridiculous.

Must all be guilty of spreading what you consider untruths? Are none but you allowed to voice their opinion? Should we all clear our post through you before we post them?
Are we to believe that you are the only one who is correctly informed on current events around the world?

We must not believe one of the leading British polling groups. After all they don’t know what they are doing, rubbish.

Quote:
Research conducted by a leading British polling group shows that more than one million Iraqis have died as a result of war in their country.
The survey, conducted by Opinion Research Business (ORB) with 2,414 adults in face-to-face interviews, found that 20 percent of people had had at least one death in their household because of the conflict, rather than natural causes, Reuters reported.

They did not interview Klan’s but those of households, “20 percent of the people had had at least one death in their household.” That is household, not Klan, not in our extended family, but in our household. Someone who lives in our household has been killed.
One need not be a rocket scientist to understand this.

Would one of the leading British polling groups be competent enough to figure this out?

Then we have their motives.

Quote:
The director of the ORB, Allan Hyde, said it had no objective other than to record as accurately as possible the number of deaths among the Iraqi population as a result of the invasion and ensuing conflict.

Let’s see, Allan Hyde, doesn’t sound Arab, must be he is just trying to make the British and the Americans look bad. What is in it for him, is he trying to sell life insurance to the Iraqis?

This is just how ridiculous defending what is totally against the word and will of God has become. It seems that some will need to see Babylon the Great stamped on the forehead of the Statue of Liberty before they wake up.

War kills people, lots and lots of people and to many times they are innocent people.
History is a good teacher of this, but those who demand and lust after power and wealth do not care.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2008/2/2 23:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi pastorfrin...

Before you make such remarks, why not try to really read and understand the gist behind my post(s)?

I did not say NOT to believe the other Iraqi war poll. Your implication of such is, well, ridiculous. I simply pointed out that there are many other scientific polls from different but very credible sources that point to (and mostly agree upon) completely different results. In that post, I was simply cautioning the brethren about passing judgment solely upon a single poll.

Quote:
This is just how ridiculous defending what is totally against the word and will of God has become. It seems that some will need to see Babylon the Great stamped on the forehead of the Statue of Liberty before they wake up.

Is that what you are implying that I was doing? If so, brother, your prejudices (that often seem anti-military, anti-Bush and anti-government) are quite blinding. Try reading my post again WITHOUT reading between the lines.
Quote:
War kills people, lots and lots of people and to many times they are innocent people.
History is a good teacher of this, [b]but those who demand and lust after power and wealth do not care[/b].

About whom are you passing such judgment? Is this an indictment of the President, the military, American voters, voting Christians, Islamic militants, etc...? If it is any of the above, they why would you assume to know that they "do not care?" Do you really think that this war was started for a reason other than what was presented? While part of the rationale for invasion and regime change might have ended up being incorrect (particularly in regard to WMDs), are you suggesting some sort of inside knowledge of this matter? Who is it that is lusting for power and wealth? Why do you feel so much liberty to make such an accusation or insinuation?

Like I said, we should refrain from reading between the lines in order to find a predetermined connection that might not actually be there. I apologize if such caution is intrusive to your beliefs. It is not my intent to offend or to allege alternative facts. I am simply saying to use caution before passing such judgment based upon singular polls or limited knowledge.

2008/2/3 0:07Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

I do not see where any of this is helpful at all. I do not see were pounding on Chris every time he makes a mention of caution, follows it up with a clarification is meat for more barbs at him. It's jumping to conclusions.

Politics and SI ... a very bad brew. Thread locked.

Edit: I did not see the other reply before this, from Chris and have not even read it. Brothers, just remember this, [i]brothers[/i]. This is no defense of any one here one way or the other, the political squabbling's are going to get curtailed here, they are just out of place and we cannot see what this dredges up amongst the saints, that ought to be our more pressing issue.

2008/2/3 0:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy