SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can a pastor punch?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Can a pastor punch?

COLOSSIANS 2

20. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21. (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22. Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23. Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

2008/2/2 20:06Profile
washad

arkansas

Re:

I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. You have given me much to consider. I have decided to cancel our bouts for a while to pray over this matter. If there is something that is unbiblical or even questionable that could cause my brother to stumble or, worse, the lost to become more hardened then I want it out of my life. Above reproach right? Anyway thanks for your attention.
-washad
any additional comments I will not respond to but I will read them with interest. see ya around!

2008/2/3 15:37Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

What good is salt if its lost its savor, don't let men judge you or your image will be like their's not your real creator's.

Respectfully Eddie

2008/2/3 16:01Profile

Re:

Actually... I've coached wrestling in the past.

As for boxing, I dont personally endorse it because the goal is to knock out your opponent, which is caused by personal injury... usually a concusion. If a knock out isnt acheived then at the very least it's who can cause the most bodily injury to the other.

This, in my opinion, is madness. I wont judge Christian men like George Foreman or Evander Holifield who are boxers... they have to account for themselves before God for what they do. But as for me, I'm not in favor of the sport at all.

Wrestling is different... the goal is not to do bodily injury. I'm speaking of real wrestling, not the junk thats on TV.

Pro-wrestling is fake, y'all. Just thought I would mention that. One of my best friends was a pro-wrestler in the WWF back in the late 80's early 90's... and even tho it's fake, there are plenty of good reasons to not involve yourself in it... sex, drugs, etc runs that sport.

As for football, again, the goal is not personal injury. Injuries do happen, but thats not the point of the sport. Injuries happen in baseball too.

Krispy

2008/2/6 8:38
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

I ran across this response by Charles Ryrie, when asked about self-defense. (I remember this thread, so I thought I would share it.)

Quote:
It all has to do with wisdom, understanding, and tact. In my karate class one of our principles is this: “Restrain your physical abilities by spiritual attainment”. This is a fancy way of saying that since one has the ability to bring great harm doesn’t mean he or she needs to use it. Just because I can break someone’s arm, doesn’t mean I need to use that ability. Just because we have a gun doesn’t mean we need to fire on someone who breaks into the home. -- Charles Ryrie

I think the "use wisdom" is the key because there are instances where God condoned violence and areas where it says He detests it. My advice is to pray about it and hear from God. That's using wisdom.

2008/2/6 13:24Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Can a pastor punch?

Quote:

washad wrote:
I have been reading the past issues discussed here and did not see where this has been discussed and I had a question. Is is acceptable for a Christian to fight(as in boxing,wrestling,etc..)? I ask because this is one of the ways that I relax and fellowship with some of the men that I know. Pretty much we have simple rules. Punch quick but not with power. No uppercuts and avoid the nose! Contact is to be expected. No getting angry or there is no place for you in the "ring" again, ever. We really enjoy this and we have never had an accident,other than a few bloody noses. I guess the draw is simple skill and pushing yourself as far as you can go. We don't have time limits just go till somebody quits. This is done either in a private gym or out in someones yard so this is not up for the public to see.
One of our regulars has apparently been telling some others about this and recently someone has said that this is not appropriate for a pastor since we are not to be given to violence and no brawler. I thought this was referring to fistfights in anger or within the family structure. By the way I am not very good and usually get the worst of it so believe me this is not a pride thing. I'll accept any reproof or correction with prayer. I just want to see this clearly, how does it look from the outside? What are your thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------

Well at the end of the day you have to answer your own question.

What is the Holy Spirit saying to you about it.

Is he saying to you is it okay.

Or is he saying no it's not okay and to stop.

Then you have a choice to do as he says!

It's not about what we think our say it's about you and your heart, when you stand before God.

2008/2/11 17:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy