SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Undersea cable fault disrupts internet access

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Hi Brother Keith, I just need to clear why I looked up this story late Monday.
I heard on the radio about a fifth cable being cut. So I got up and typed it into google.

The radio program also said, that how the cables are laid, that it would be impossible to cut it with an anchor in that many spots.

This was what I typed into google after hearing that ....

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+internet+cables+cut&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Edit: Couldn't find the map I saw but -

"A total of five cables being operated by two submarine cable operators have been damaged with a fault in each. These are SeaMeWe-4 (South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe-4) near Penang, Malaysia, the FLAG Europe-Asia near Alexandria, FLAG near the Dubai coast, FALCON near Bandar Abbas in Iran and SeaMeWe-4, also near Alexandria. " Source Link

2008/2/9 0:12

Re: Undersea cable fault disrupts internet access

Internet cable cuts: More than accidents?
February 6, 2008

By MIKE WENDLAND

Free Press Technology Columnist

There's a growing uneasiness in the global Internet community over a series of crippling Internet blackouts overseas that has resulted from four cuts and disruptions to underwater cables over the past week. While no evidence of sabotage has been forthcoming, the four breaks seem to many observers to stretch the bounds of coincidence.

The cable breaks have been causing a growing buzz on tech blogs and drawing attention from conspiracy theorists, who suspect everything from information warfare to terrorism to sabotage by the United States to take out Internet connections to Iran, whose connectivity indeed has been pretty much blacked out for most of the past week.

The breaks have been in the Middle East and Asia and have caused widespread disruptions, especially in India. They've had little to no effect in the United States, except for users trying to communicate with people in the affected areas. Most of the huge tech firms in India that do outsourced programming and data entry for U.S. and European insurance, banking and medical companies have not been seriously disrupted because they have used alternate land- or satellite-based private connections.

Dragging ship anchors caused by rough waters in the eastern Mediterranean were the initial suspicion, but [b]Egyptian authorities repairing some of the breaks today said they have reviewed onshore cameras of the cable locations and could see no maritime traffic in the area when the breaks occurred[/b].

Two of the severed lines are owned by the India-based FLAG company that has assembled a team of 30, including telecommunication engineers and Egyptian government and Navy officials. They're working on a repair ship at the FLAG Europe-Asia site off the coastal city of Alexandria.

Those breaks have affected more than 85 million Internet users in India, Pakistan, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Sudan, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. Egyptian officials say those breaks may not be fixed until the weekend. Meanwhile, a crew of 50 off the coast of Dubai says it will take them about a week to repair a damaged fiber optic.

The fourth cable linked Qatar and the United Arab Emirates and went out Monday. Officials are unsure what happened, although some reports say there was damage to the power supply system that "lights up" the cable and sends the data streams through the hair-thin strands of glass-like optical fibers. That's expected to take several days to repair.

Despite all the conspiracy speculation, such breaks are not without precedence. [b]In December 2006, [u]seven of the eight[/u] Internet cables connected to Taiwan were damaged by an earthquake. Internet communications in much of Asia were disrupted for weeks.[/b]

Still, with so much of the globe dependent on Internet connectivity, the breaks are focusing attention on the vulnerability of the oceanic network that handles 95% of the world's Internet and telephone traffic. Colonel R.S. Parihar, the secretary of the Internet Service Providers Association of India told the International Herald Tribune that the incidents have been a wake-up call to the global telecommunications industry.

"These are owned by private operators, and there are no governments or armies protecting these cables," he said.

Full article above, found in Detroit Free Press,
[url=http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/BLOG01/80206022/0/NEWS15]MIKE WENDLAND'S TECH BLOG[/url]

[img align=left]http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/TECH/02/08/internet.outage/art.cable.jpg[/img]

Picture from CNN webpage.

Just wondering if a six ton anchor can be this small-looking - and shiny! - or, is it all a matter of perspective in the end?

2008/2/9 1:19

Re:

Here's the map with the dates I mentioned with the two cuts on the 5th at that distance.

And that's it for me on this topic. :-(

http://www.ilovebonnie.net/cablecuts.jpg

2008/2/9 2:58
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Its possible that it was the same anchor :-)

2008/2/9 3:23Profile
Compton

Re:

Hi all,

Thanks again Annie. I appreciate your response. For me current events are the people that God actually places in our lives, not on television. I know you understand this of course.

I also feel it fair to point out that Mike Whitney's article wasn't 'current events'. It was more an exhibition of his own political imagination, even to the point where he was speculating what was must have taken place between President Bush and the Israelis...which he obviously wasn't reporting on but merely imagining. Today, because we no longer connect to the world locally in the flesh but globally in cyberspace, we cannot tell a good story with pictures from the truth anymore.

Indeed, the Whitney article is an X-Ray not into the workings of the world, but of a particular individual's mind. I recently read a curious statement by George Wahsington, during the Shay's Rebellion crisis that threatened to topple the American government in 1786. He was marvleing at how 'accurate' the British were in predicting the troubles in store for the young nation. "Good God! Who but a tory could have forseen, or a Briton predicted them! Were these people wiser then others, or did they judge us from the corruption and depravity of their own hearts?. I am pursuaded that the latter was the case..."

Likewise Mike Whitney, and thousands just like him, simply project their own depravity and corruption onto those they 'report' on. This is how Whitney was able to talk so expertly about complex political intigue without having even a tenth of the facts that a true understanding of these events begs. Writing unauthorized autobiographies is the risk we take when we are anxious to offer our 'insight' and 'discernment'...the prophets included. We must be careful that when we appear upon stage in public that our slip is not showing.

Thanks Chris for pointing out the word 'stirred.' I think you have picked up on something that is key.

Man is unique among God's creatures because he is always stirring up. The only question that remains is just what is it that we are intending to stir up?

MC

2008/2/9 11:15Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

[i]Here is another article about the recent Internet disruption in Asia. This time, the article is from the Associate Press (AP).

As an Electrical Engineer, I am fully aware of problems that can be caused by the simplest of matters (including a single, broken line). Did you know the origin of the term "computer bug" came from a literal [u]bug[/u] that was trapped within the architecture of a computer and short circuited it?

I'm not certain, but it seems that the folks in the areas affected might be slightly more given to conspiracy theories than those of us in the West. Perhaps that is the reason that this simple accident turned into a conspiracy theory and spread so quickly around the globe?

Anyway, here is the article:[/i]

[b]Abandoned anchor cut Gulf Internet cable [/b]
By KATARINA KRATOVAC
Associated Press Writer
Fri Feb 8, 2:24 PM ET

CAIRO, Egypt - An abandoned anchor was responsible for cutting one of the undersea Internet cables severed last week, causing disruptions across the Middle East and parts of Asia, the cable's owner said Friday.

A FLAG Telecom repair crew discovered the anchor near where the fiber-optic cable was severed Feb. 1 in the Persian Gulf, 35 miles north of Dubai, between the Emirates and Oman.

Weighing more than 5.5 tons, the anchor has been pulled to the surface. The company did not immediately explain whether the anchor moved and snapped the cable or whether the cable itself was drifting when it was sliced.

It remains unclear exactly how any of the cuts occurred.

It also was unclear whether FLAG knew what vessel the anchor belonged to. Rough weather was reported nearby at the time of the cut, but conditions have improved since.

Meanwhile, a second FLAG repair ship continued work on two undersea cables that were cut Jan. 30. They are about 5 miles off the north coast of Egypt, near the port city of Alexandria, and run between Egypt and Palermo, on the Italian island of Sicily.

Repairs at both locations are expected to be done by Sunday.

One of the two Mediterranean cables was owned by FLAG. The other, identified as SEA-ME-WE 4, or South East Asia-Middle East-West Europe 4 cable, was owned by a consortium of 16 international telecommunication companies.

Egypt's telecommunication ministry said no ships were registered near the location at the time.

The cuts slowed businesses, hampered personal Internet usage and caused a flurry of Internet blogger speculation, including mentions of sabotage. Government authorities and FLAG, which stands for Fiber-Optic Link Around the Globe, have refused to comment on the speculation.

Reports of additional cuts in Middle East Internet cables could not be confirmed.

FLAG, in a statement posted on the company Web site, said it has surveyed the cable cut off Egypt with remotely operated robots.

The FLAG spokesman said this week that it was laying a new cable underwater between Egypt and France that would be "fully resilient" against cuts such as last week's and "provide a diversity in routes."

He did not say what that resilience entailed, but said it would take months to set up the new cable.

"It is difficult to comment right now on this," said a FLAG spokesman, reached over the telephone. "We are doing our own investigation."

He spoke on condition of anonymity, in line with company policy.

Ovum analyst Matt Walker said undersea cable networks are highly vulnerable to deliberate attack and need enhanced security.

"If ports, railways, gas pipelines and other types of networks are being secured against possible sabotage, we must similarly increase the security of undersea optical highways," Walker said.

The cuts also underlined the threats that Internet disruptions could pose to organizations and businesses worldwide. Large-scale Internet disruptions are rare, but East Asia suffered nearly two months of outages and slow service after an earthquake damaged undersea cables near Taiwan in December 2006.

"The economic cost of losing, or even just slowing down, international communications is extremely high," said Walker. "This risk has to be factored into the calculations behind the investment level and design of undersea optical networks."

FLAG said it has fully restored circuits to some customers and switched others to alternative routes.

State Telecom Egypt said it sealed a $125 million contract Jan. 31 with French-American telecommunications equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent, for a new 1,900-mile-long undersea cable between Egypt and France.

Named TE North, it will link Sidi Kerir on Egypt's northern coast to the French port of Marseilles.

It will have multiple times the bandwidth capacity of existing cables and enable Telecom Egypt to "expand international connectivity, providing diversity from existing cable routes." Egyptian media have said the new Telecom cable would take more than 18 months to complete.

___

AP Business Writer Matt Moore contributed to this report from Frankfurt, Germany.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_hi_te/mideast_internet_outage]CLICK HERE[/url] to read the full article.

:-)

2008/2/9 11:57Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks again Annie. I appreciate your response. For me current events are the people that God actually places in our lives, not on television. I know you understand this of course.

MC

No Brother Mike, I don't understand that - but I do understand that is what the mind-set of MOST Americans is.

My point was not so much that one article, as I stated twice - but that we 'should CARE' about the rest of the world and about going to war with whomever without hearing all sides.'

Kenya is in deep trouble and many other nations presently.

If WE don't care who will? THAT was my point.

To hear all sides lest we find ourselves siding with the wrong and "Nuke 'em - Kill 'em - Torture 'em" in the name of some "Righteous Cause" again - that later - when HE returns - we'll find out that we believed "the television" more than HIM on "who to kill".

I don't watch television because I am not convinced in the least that we are not hearing 'controlled media'.

You can use that word "treasonous" again if you like - but I do not believe the major network news sources.

And I am greatly grieved by how "the church" puts their "Sources" above their love for each other.

How one day they love you - but if you say or post something that goes agaisnt their political grain - you are shunned and labeled from thence forth.

You are thrown Scriptures that talk about Evil Intents of the heart - and then Normally - articles will be posted or other threads about how "evil" these people are who post against what most see on their own TV news.

Gal 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

You said - "For me current events are the people that God actually places in our lives, not on television."

Yup - that's the American way. Most are making their decision for candidates based on the Economy. To Hades with those over seas.

Oh yes, "Torture is good".

Let those Africans starve to death.

Who cares who's right in the middle east - as long as the AP - or CNN - or FOX says we're right - I can relax and agree to kill them all.

That has become the American way - and GOD forbid anyone think outside that box - they are labeled "stirrer uppers" - "treasonous" - "busybodies" - "not to be listened to" - and no matter what else they may post from that point on - they are not to be listened to - they no longer exist basically and no longer receive the same treatment they had not months ago.

THAT is why I take up to a year at a time off-line.
Twice taking a year off. Other times 3 and 6 months and this month took 8 days off-line to pray about the grieving I feel in my spirit.

Love ya today - labeled tomorrow and we can put our political views above our love for each other.

I'm tired of seeing people not care about each other (except for inner circles) and not caring about the rest of the world.

They sacrifice "Care" at Bohemian Grove - and maybe that is having an affect in the general atmosphere of the American Church.
I don't think that is anywhere near the full extent that has caused our callous reactions to differences in "media news sources" and desire for more war - but it is not the same Church Jesus intended. It just doesn't CARE - just as long as we have peace in the homeland and the economy improves - the heck with the rest.
And we may love you today - but tomorrow, turn on or away from you if you don't agree with "us".

Cold - cold Church of America.

2008/2/9 13:15
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Sister Annie...

Quote:
"Who cares who's right in the middle east - as long as the AP - or CNN - or FOX says we're right - I can relax and agree to kill them all."
I don't watch television because I am not convinced in the least that we are not hearing 'controlled media'.

You can use that word "treasonous" again if you like - but I do not believe the major network news sources.

And I am greatly grieved by how "the church" puts their "Sources" above their love for each other.
How one day they love you - but if you say or post something that goes agaisnt their political grain - you are shunned and labeled from thence forth.
Yup - that's the American way. Most are making their decision for candidates based on the Economy. To Hades with those over seas.
"Nuke 'em - Kill 'em - Torture 'em" in the name of some "Righteous Cause"
"To Hades with those over seas."
"Oh yes, "Torture is good".
"Love ya today - labeled tomorrow and we can put our political views above our love for each other."

"I'm tired of seeing people not care about each other (except for inner circles) and not caring about the rest of the world."

Do you [i]really[/i] believe that people here at SermonIndex are like that? If so, you really need to rethink your assumptions. Perhaps there is just a little too much [i]reading between the lines[/i] going on?

Annie, I think that just about everyone here at SermonIndex cares about the people of this world. We should, like Christ, see them as [i]sheep having no shepherd[/i]. It is extremely presumptuous to allege that we don't care. We just want to use caution when loudly proclaiming rumor as fact in a website that is meant to spread an understanding of historic revival – and not what seems to be End-Time paranoia. I know that this is probably not what you have in mind, but this is how it sometimes comes across.

:-(

2008/2/9 14:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps there is just a little too much reading between the lines going on?

Far too much.

Two words;

News fast.

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

2008/2/9 14:30Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
but I do understand that is what the mind-set of MOST Americans is.

My earlier points were not concerned with the mind set of Americans, but of the Church. My point about being concerned for the people that God put into our lives, I think is simple enough. It needs not to be confused with indifference for the world.

Instead, I was attempting to call attention to that unique modern development in the history of man; namely that each of us now must learn how to digest sorrow and woe from the whole globe. I feel that all this 'information', while pretending to 'connect us' globally has actually disconnected and fragmented society. The Christian is not immune to this dynamic. For the Christian, who is astonishingly inclined to love the whole world, might well develop a physche that is overwhelmed with global issues it has no power over, while ignoring local spiritual and physical needs that could be adressed.

This crushing burden for the whole world at once, when combined with our inability to help all the world at once, too often leads to unhealthy resentment of the impotence of fellow Christians. I believe much of the seperation we see happening from churches today, is not of the Puritan variety, where a committed people formed a holier society together, but of the post-modern variety, where everyone lives in their own reality that has no room for dissapointing people. Today, we find we can do a better job feeding our own souls technologically with a smorgasboard of information, but tragically the spiritual and emotional interactions we have with streaming words and images is edited and produced, and is therefore not even reality...at least as compared to the few people that we could have served had we thought they were as 'important' as the 'global crisis' that demanded our attention.

This point is not a rebuke, but an observation. Really Annie, I wasn't trying to set myself up against you... I do not see this as a character issue that needs addressed, but a very real problem unique to modern humanity. I simply do not think the human physche can successfully process the rivers of information we gulp down from around the world.

Still, I do believe I understand your intent. There is a story I read about a visitor at the home of GW North. One morning this visitor said he arose before the sun and saw a light coming from North's study. As he quietly approached he saw the preacher upon his knees in front of a globe. Every few minutes North would gently rotate the globe and point to a new spot, and then bow his head in prayer. For a long time the visitor watched, transfixed at the unseen love he was priviledged to see. Then without warning, North sighed in sorrow, leaned forward to embrace the whole globe, and wept.

Now sister, I would never want to talk anyone out of such a holy burden for the world as that!

I hope the account of North relates to the point you were trying to make. I must say it relates to my original point as well: praying earnestly for the nations in the presence of God is a far cry from Mike Whitney's article.

MC

2008/2/10 14:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy