SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Wine or Grapejuice?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
JesusisGod2

Lockport IL

Re:

Hi watchman,

I agree those are sad cases and I agree it is best to abstain from alchohol.

Unless I am mistaken tho this thread was actually about whether the fruit of the vine refered to at the "last supper" was wine or grape juice or whether when wine is mentioned is it wine or grape juice and really not about Christians drinking per say.

I do have a question for you though, where does it say in the scriptures that the saints of old were [b]forbidden [/b]to touch wine or to drink it for that matter?

My intent of this question is not to justify drinking but sometimes people tend to go beyond what the scriptures actually say and as a result, the one who does this can become very legalistic in thier approach of presenting the gospel, much like Peter in which he was rebuked by Paul for incorporating circumcission into the message of savation.

Now when Jesus was accused of being a drunk by the pharisses and others, was it because He was drinking grape juice? Now in no way do I believe He was ever drunk but I do believe He drank of the "fruit of the vine" which was wine not grape juice.

as I mentioned earlier in my post when Jesus turned the vessels of water into wine, the guest were obviously drinking an alchoholic beverage. the head waiter had said [b]once they drank freely[/b]this is an implication they were inebriated and were not condemned by the Lord. This was a celebratory situation and who knows if they drank besides times of celebration, its not clear.

did you ever drink alchohol before? I have and I know what is being said by bringing the cheap stuff out as soon as every one has drank freely. You dont know the difference in the taste or the quality or even how much alchohol for that matter. But if you start out with the cheap stuff and someone gives you the "quality stuff" you definately can taste the difference.

Now the man of God is to be filled with the Spirit and not with wine, but does it teach total abstenance?

My opinion is that it is far better not to drink strong drink but if on occassion one does, does he sin?

2003/10/3 11:42Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I know this thread is about 3 years old, but I was wondering if anyone had anything to add to it. I have been thinking about if the wine in Biblical times was alcoholic. I have heard some say that the usual drinking wine was was mixed with water, I've seen some references from other historical writings help support this, but I am not solidly conviced one way or another.

I guess this goes to the old argument is it ok or not ok to drink. I personally don't drink and don't want anything to do with it, but I get this asked all the time on the streets and was wanting some other opinions.

Any thoughts?

2006/5/10 14:07Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What does it matter if it was wine or Juice, that is not the center of attention. The center is, "do this in remembrance of Me." If it was wine, so what, just don't do it in an unworthy manner, like getting drunk then remembering the Lord and calling it communion. If it was juice so what, just don't eat a sandwich and fill your stomach then call it communion.

This is a ploy Of Satan, just like where did Cains wife come from, or how many angles can dance on the head of a pin? Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep [him] in perfect peace, [whose] mind [is] stayed [on thee]: because he trusteth in thee.

Wine or juice is no matter, doing is the matter, in remembrance of what Christ did on the Cross and what He has done in each believer. That is Christ in you the Hope of Glory. This is communion, the remembrance of Who has been born again in each of us, who are now son's of God by this communion, (Common Union) of Christ and the believer. In Every thought captive remember Him.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/5/10 16:27Profile

Re:

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

G3182
μεθύσκω
methuskō
Thayer Definition:
1) to intoxicate, make drunk
2) to get drunk, become intoxicated

Cant very well get 'drunk' on grapejuice.

2006/5/10 23:24
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Welch's Grape Juice for me and I also like green tea does that count. :-)

Why can't some questions as simple as this one just be answered from our hearts and not scripture? :-(
O well to each there own. :-)

2006/5/10 23:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy