Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Be not conformed to this world

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Be not conformed to this world

I was the other night reading from the gospel of Matthew, and i came to chapter 17 and when Jesus goes up to the mountain, and as it says Mat 17:2 And was [b]transfigured[/b] before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

and i meditated upon this for a wile, i thought about it, and i remember once i heard a sermon by Gerhard de toit where he mentions this word is the same as in hebrews it says "enoch was [b]translated[/b]"

and i thought about this and i looked in a concordance, and i saw this word also in ROM 12:2 and i began reading that verse, and you all know this verse

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

and i was thinking about this, and this world stood out to me, [b]conformed[/b] ,

what is it to conform to the world?

it is clear we should transform, translate, from this kingdom of earth to the hevanly kingdom. Old man to the New man. and so on....

but this word conformed, i looked in strongs and it said something very interesting

that this word in the greek, is not an inward conformity but an outward

the word that implies the inward is [i]summorphos[/i] 4832

so this is an conformity tn the outward...

it goes on and says

[i]suschematizo[/i] (4964) stresses outward conformity and means to shape one thing like another and describes what is transitory, changeable and unstable.

[b]TRANS'ITORY[/b], a. [L. transitorius.] Passing without continuance; continuing a short time; fleeting; speedily vanishing.

seems to me that the wordly "pop-culture" and its trends its music, its style, is to be conforming to the world.

what is popular in the world should not be so hasty embraced by us maybe? i am thinking dont be conformed to the outward for the moment popular things in the world, music styles, and looks, certain clothing that may be so to speak "pop" in for the moment... and maybe even more things that many say are ok in our churches....these are just my thoughts as to this mini study....

anyone have some thoughts about this?

Christian

EDIT: I posted in the wrong forum by mistake, it should have gone under the Scripture section

2008/1/27 15:50Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Be not conformed to this world

Reply to hmmhmm and agree all should hear Him!

Conformed to the world is just the apposite to bowing to the will of God. Bowing in prayer is to bend in body, soul and spirit to God and acknowledge His glory and sovereignty, asking for daily understanding and the forgiveness of our sins. Dare we proceed into the Almighty Gods realm and by ignorance and question God’s Sovereignty , his absolute right to do all things according to his own good pleasure?

Dan. 4:25,
That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

Dan. 4-35And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Rom. 9:15-23
For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

1Tim. 6:
Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
17. Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
18. That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
19. Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Rev. 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created

2008/1/27 16:51Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=16208]Don Currin Revival Conference 2007[/url] "those on the narrow road are narrow minded"

2008/1/28 3:21Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Rom 12:2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.

NLT

2008/1/28 3:40Profile
BVO

ohio

Re: Conformity

Christian, This seems to me to be a fairly simple concept to not conform to this world, but even my wife and I will disagree sometimes over what is the world. Dean Taylor from Charity did a sermon entitled Soul Idolatry that dealt with the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life that all sin comes from (like all color comes from three primary colors). With this understanding, it is a little easier to identify what the world and the things of the world are. Once we understand that, we can see if we are "loving" those things or "conforming" to them. I have a few simple principles that I live by and my "simple" rule for this is if the world (the majority of people since we know Christians will be the few) is running to something, i as a Christian should be going in the opposite direction. This is helpful in some of the confusing areas such as "christian entertainment". If the world loves it, it probably is not Christ, because we know that the world will not love Christ. It may be funny or entertaining, but it's not good for me.

Good topic to ponder and meditate on because it is so easy to justify and become enamored by the world and it's pleasures, but don't the scriptures say that the love of the Father won't be in us if we chase the world? Blessings, Barry

2008/1/28 8:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Christian and Barry,

Interesting .... Christian, the point you made about the non-conformity specifically meaning outward is sobering....

Now I have a question for you two - or anyone else, for that matter -: how do you think that will look like in the practical? where the rubber meets the road? How has it impacted [i][b]your [/b][/i] life?

I am not interested in debate, just an honest exchange of how God is changing you in this area of living.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/1/29 10:39Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I agree that we should not be comforted to this world; however, I think we are missing a very large concept.

When we talk about not being conformed to this world, we automatically jump to not being conformed to them in a negative sense. That is, we jump to things we won't do like the world. In other words, we won't listen to their music, we won't wear clothes like them, etc.

However, it would be beneficial if we started looking at things in the positive sense. That is, we will love God, love others sacrificially, pray for our enemies, turn out other cheek, go the extra mile to be friendly and caring for others, etc.

If you just look at the negative sense and not the positive sense, our religion is in vain. We need to remember both.

2008/1/29 13:03Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
How has it impacted your life?

well.... I do not listen to such music that could be mistaken for being worldly, i used to listen to hip hop and rap, because the world programed me to like such music, the society and worldly friends brainwashed me from very young to like such music. So when God saved me from the world i do not want to go back, i also notice such music "speaks" to my flesh, that baseline and rhythm just triggers my flesh and it brings memories and attitudes from my past life.

I choose not to dress so that i could be mistaken for one who follows that which is popular in the world, i do not change my hairstyle and clothes when the world does. I try to always have such respectful clothes i could greet anyone in my society and come into their house without my clothes being an offense to them, and if i where given a chance to witness to the monarch of sweden i could. Clean and nice clothes without the "rebellious" look and as an outcast of society. I used to dress that way

I choose not to go to public baths, one of the reasons besides i am unsure christians should show off their body's at all, is also due to my tattoos, i dont want to give such a testimony a believer can get tattoos just as is popular with the world.

I do not want to be mistaken for being a wordling, i want people to know i dont follow the world, its fashions and pop things. I follow one who is off eternity and my life should reflect that unchanging being in that i am not a follower off these things.

2008/1/29 15:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Inspiring, Christian...

The scriptures inform us that we are being changed from glory to glory.... it is a lifelong process. It is not as though we have accomplished it in one day and that is it. God teaches us bit by bit, day by day.

I have one story that still baffles me a tad bit. I love to sew and some would say I am an expert....I am depending who you compare me to and the opposite is true also: I am not depending who compare me to. In any case, I love to sew, can make whatever I want to. It is an ever evolving skill/craft.

One day I walked passed a clothing boutique and saw a cute cape. I thought that thing is cute and after studying it a while I noticed design elements that could be incorporated into other garments. I loved it and stored it in the corner of brain to use in designing a garment for me. The next time I went into Hancock's (a fabric store chain) I saw the fabric I needed to accomplish this...but the Holy Spirit said "No, that is worldly, you are allowing the world to inspire that design." True, but there is nothing wrong with the design itself, but He persisted and I reluctantly surrendered that design.

Did the design compromise modesty? No. But, it really does not matter: if the Holy Spirit says "no" he means 'no' and I do not have to know why. Wonder if I am a tad bit scared to allow HIM to do all the designing? Afraid it might look too dumpy? Something to consider...

ginnyrose

2008/1/29 23:42Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
it is a lifelong process. It is not as though we have accomplished it in one day and that is it. God teaches us bit by bit, day by day.

Amen

Yes i can testify of that also, i said to one brother yesterday, if i lived in america i would strongly consider moving to the ana-baptists to raise my children :-)

I just think their way of looking at scripture and holy living is an example to all of us, they take it seriusly and are an inspiration to me.

God bless

2008/1/30 2:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy