Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Psalm 51

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re: Psalm 51

EXPOSITION

Verse 18. Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion. Let blessings according to thy wont be poured upon thy holy hill and chosen city. Zion was David's favourite spot, whereon he had hoped to erect a temple. The ruling passion is so strong on him, that when he has discharged his conscience he must have a word for Zion. He felt he had hindered the project of honouring the Lord there as he desired, but he prayed God still to let the place of his ark be glorious, and to establish his worship and his worshipping people. Build thou the walls of Jerusalem. This had been one of David's schemes, to wall in the holy city, and he desires to see it completed; but we believe he had a more spiritual meaning, and prayed for the prosperity of the Lord's cause and people. He had done mischief by his sin, and had, as it were, pulled down her walls; he, therefore, implores the Lord to undo the evil, and establish his church. God can make his cause to prosper, and in answer to prayer he will do so. Without his building we labour in vain; therefore are we the more instant and constant in prayer. There is surely no grace in us if we do not feel for the church of God, and take a lasting interest in its welfare.

- C. H. Spurgeon, The Treasury of David

2008/2/15 12:29Profile
HeartSong

Re: Psalm 51

"Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine alter."

EXPOSITION

Verse 19. In those days of joyful prosperity thy saints shall present in great abundance the richest and holiest thank offerings to thee, and thou shalt be pleased to accept them. A saved soul expects to see its prayers answered in a revived church, and then is assured that God will be greatly glorified. Though we bring no more sacrifices for sin, yet as priests unto God our solemn praises and votive gifts are thank offerings acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. We bring not the Lord our least things--our doves and pigeons; but we present him with our best possessions--our bullocks. We are glad that in this present time we are able to fulfil in person the declaration of this verse: we also, forecasting the future, wait for days of the divine presence, when the church of God, with unspeakable joy, shall offer gifts upon the altar of God, which will far eclipse anything beheld in these less enthusiastic days.
[b][color=CC3333]Hasten it, O Lord.[/color][/b]

- C. H. Spurgeon, The Treasury of David

2008/3/4 14:48Profile

Re:

Heartsong, this was very kind of you to do this.
I have the Volumes but the way you've presented each verse as you have, has added to the text in a rich way.

Thank you!

2008/3/4 17:57
HeartSong

Re:

It was my pleasure.

Annie, you always say the nicest things - you make my heart happy!

2008/3/5 17:33Profile

Re:

Dito Heartsong. GOD Bless you.

2008/3/5 17:39
nowhr2hide

Australia

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
I was just in a prayer meeting where we prayed this entire psalm to the Lord. Powerful time.

Here is Ron Bailey's teaching from that Psalm at the revival conference last year:

[b]Personal Revival by Ron Bailey[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16182&commentView=itemComments

[b]Personal Revival by Ron Bailey (video)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16004&commentView=itemComments

so timely yet annointed by Spirit of Most High God that the only one could pearce and expose the heart of the sinful man/woman like me and yet gentle enough to convict and show His mercy and grace to repent from the very dept of heart and soul.
Thank you for sharing this through this become an avenue to hear the word of the Holy Spirit that open my heart and eyes.

2008/3/5 22:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy