SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jobs

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Jobs

So this week is job hunt week for myself. i just quit working for my mom, because working and living with her is quite difficult. This area of my life seems to be like that of the psalmist, high highs, and low lows.

my question is to all who respond, what do you do for a living/job? im having a hard time deciding whether to get a job that pays well and can help me learn a skill in the business world(i have a bachelor degree in business), or a job that pays less that i may enjoy more and has a God centered purpose.

Anyway maybe you can give me feedback and encourage me in where to look. i have started to try to talk to people at my church about who can help me. My dream job is working for a Christian in the business world who seeks to save the lost.

Thanks in advance.

2008/1/21 14:41Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re: Jobs

Hello Brother BrianPaul,

It's a big question, isn't it? It's rather like asking what God's will is for your life, since He created you for a purpose. Your question is a complicated one that has many sides to it.

First and foremost, above everything else, get alone with God, read His Word and pray about it. How is reading the Word going to help you find a job? Because scripture is the main way that God speaks to His people. You won't find a verse that says, "Go worketh for Google," but you will find wisdom. If you seek God's help first, above everything else, you can't go wrong.

I don't know how old you are or the circumstances by which you're living with your mother, but they're not important. What is important is that you honor her. Adult children living with their parent(s) is rarely easy. Regardless, you are commanded to honor her. This is no small matter and how you handle it makes a big difference to God and your future. If we can't obey Him in the things He's already told us, why should He give us anything more?

As for the job, practically, if you need to get a job quickly, pray and make looking for work your job right now. If there isn't an urgency, be sure to spend much time in prayer and trust that He will guide you. Most people fall into whatever job happens to come along and try to make the best of it. God wants more for you than that so abide in Him to know what that is.

I believe that people have the passions, talents and gifts that they have for a reason. We're meant to do something with them. However, that doesn't mean God will put you right in that position to begin with. Life is a process of transforming ourselves into Christ's image. There are lessons to be learned along the way and we have to trust that the Father has our best interests at heart. You keep Him as your focus and let Him take care of you. The plans you make for yourself aren't nearly as wonderful as the one God has for you, so let Him have His way.

You may end up working for a wretch of a heathen for a boss at first, but God will have you there for a reason. There's a purpose for it. The boss may be the person God has decided to teach you something or God may put you there so He can demonstrate Himself to your boss. (Perhaps even both!) Either way, God has a plan and purpose.

So, my advice is to get in the Word, absorb it, meditate on it and fellowship with the Father. More than just for your needs, but just to be with Him. Let Him know, by your actions and your time, that He comes first in your life. He's the priority. That He means more to you than any job. (If He sincerely is to you, that is.) God will lead you and cause the job He has for you to come.

Believe me. I have practical experience with this. He's led me into jobs that I have been hired instantly for, without having a modicum of experience. I work for the Federal Reserve Bank in technical support. I knew I would be hired before I walked into the building and I was. The only thing I knew about computers was how to turn one on! But God gives us what we need, when we need it. I have been able to witness to, and encourage, so many people. I've been through my share of difficulties there, too. It's not a job I particularly want to have, but I know that's where God has placed me, so I don't wish to be anywhere else until He moves me. (And He does!) So, you see? There's no need to worry about anything, but trust always in Him.

2008/1/21 15:43Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Jobs

Brother BrianPaul, is your life yours or you have been bought? Have you been bought 'with corruptible things, as silver and gold' or 'with the precious blood of Christ'?

Since you are bought, do you have right to chose what to do or work, or you are slave to the One who paid with His own life for you, to 'redeemed you from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers'.

Brother, since we are not now our own, but slaves to Christ, we are to do what [b]He[/b] tells us to do and to follow where His voice is calling us. We cannot tell you what to do, and you cannot tell yourself and follow your dreams, because you not belong to yourself.

And it is not at all [i]about you[/i] and what you want to do. You have been crucified with Him! And you are death! Are you? Am I? It is what He wants from you and how can use the vessel for what [i]He [/i]wants! Forget what the main christianity and others are doing as result of their 'dreams'. But the questions is, are you totally sold out to Him!

Maybe you will say, I don't know what is His will and cannot hear His voice. But, have you seek His face in desperation on your face?

You said, 'this week is job hunt week for myself.' The Lord may give you job this week, and may not give you job this week, maybe He wants to give you next year this time, and the rest of the time to seek His face as never before in your life. Have you considered this opportunity?

How to hear his voice? I am reminded of one story:

There is a story of a man who, in search of God, came to study at the feet of an old teacher. The sage brought this young man to a lake and led him out into the shoulder-deep water. Putting his hands upon his pupil's head, he promptly pushed him under the water and continued to hold him there until the disciple, feeling he would surely drown, frantically repelled the old man's resistance. In shock and confusion the young man resurfaced. "What is the meaning of this?" he demanded. His teacher looked him in the eyes and said, [b]"When you desire God as you desired air, you shall find Him."[/b]

Brother, seek His face as this man sought the air, and you will hear His voice. That is for sure.

In the end I want to tell you that these words were not only for you, but for me also.

Thank you for stirring my heart to seek Him!

May Jesus Christ our Redeemer bless you!

Kire

2008/1/21 15:52Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re:

Thanks for your God seeking words, Tears and Simple. What you say is true about seeking God.

One of the main reasons i posted this thread was to see what kind of professions Christians have in the secular world, and also if they are passionate about the job they do, and how they encourage their passion in their job, and not fall into a lack of passion in their work which tends to lead to a bad witness(i.e. bad attitude, laziness). Also i wanted to know what others do for a living and see what they think of their jobs, whether they like or dislike. I have seem to come across a lot of people, secular and Christian, who say to do what you are passionate about and not worry so much about money, and that makes sense. I also wanted to know if the people on this forum enjoy their work. Hope this all makes sense, i kinda feel like im saying the same thing over and over again. Let me know.

Also i think about what i once remember hearing about the Apostle Paul, and how he was probably the best tent maker. I want to be great at what i do to be a light. i want to win souls to Christ at my job. i really don't care about having a job and the business world, i just know that i must work to make a living and support myself without having anyone else feel that burden when they shouldn't have to.

2008/1/21 19:44Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re:

Quote:
God will lead you and cause the job He has for you to come.

you know after going back and rereading what you wrote here it hit me. (Amen. Praise God.)

2008/1/21 19:49Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Brother BrianPaul,

Your post reminds me of a small book, [i]The Practice of the Presence of God,[/i] by Brother Lawrence. I do not recommend books lightly, but I highly recommend reading this book if you haven't. Brother Lawrence's only desire was to please the Lord. If picking up a piece of hay from the floor glorified Him, then that's what mattered. He had a job scrubbing pots in a monastery. He didn't particularly like that job but he gave it everything he had for the glory of God. He communed with God during all of his chores and said that even scrubbing pots was a holy thing.

I feel the same way. I never did figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up! (I don't think most people do.) Thankfully, now that I know God, I know that whatever job I do, I will do it as unto Him. It really doesn't matter what the job is. I always say that if God asked me to move to St. Louis and pick up lint off of office floors for a living, I would be packed by morning and be off for St. Louis. And there wouldn't be a piece of lint to be found anywhere.

Even Corrie ten Boom, afraid that her popularity in speaking around the world might make her think too highly of herself, always arrived early to scrub the toilets in the place where she was to speak.

Yes. You must work. But this part might shock you. You shouldn't go to a job to win souls to Christ. That's His job. God must do a work in their heart so they are ready to hear His Word. There is a work that must be done first, in their hearts. You don't know what work has been done or needs to be done. Some go in like a bull in a china shop and turn people away from God because of their misplaced zeal.

Get a job and work at it solely to please Him and for no other reason. Be in the Word, and prayer, daily - throughout the day. Don't be like the Pharisees and do it so people will see you, though. Just do it quietly. Then, when God moves and brings an opportunity for you to share the gospel with someone whose heart He's made ready, you'll know that it is God working, and not you! What's more, that person (and others around) will know that it was God, too!

2008/1/21 20:08Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Something else, if I may. It's something that is so very easy for people to forget, so I say it also as a reminder to myself.

God doesn't need us. The very breath in our nostrils comes from Him and we aren't guaranteed the next one. If we can't even [i]breathe[/i] without relying on Him, what can we possibly do for Him? If every Christian fell off the face of the earth today, God's will would still be accomplished in full!

Our job is to, daily, be transformed more and more into the image of Christ. This is our goal. Everything in life is given to us by God to teach us something about Him.

2008/1/21 20:21Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi BrianPaul...

I'll certainly be praying for you. In fact, I may join you in searching for a job in California following this semester.

My wife and I have decided to relocate to be near my sister-in-law when she attends college. She (Lucia) has already been accepted at Stanford (in Palo Alto) with a "full ride" scholarship. She is still waiting to hear from her other choices (from the East Coast). But we will be looking for employment near whichever school she chooses.

I think that you've already received some great advice here. My wife and I will be praying for you -- that the Lord will guide you to the open door that He desires for you to walk through. Please pray for us too.

:-)

2008/1/21 20:47Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re:

Yea i am currently borrowing that book, The Practice of the Presence of God. I have read about half or more, but haven't finished because i am currently reading a few others as well. To taste what this brother tasted in his life must be awesome. i desire to do all things unto the Lord. To bring even the "small" things to the Lord in worship, brings them to big things in the Eyes of the Lord.

Also, Chris thanks for your prayers. i am very encouraged by your willingness to pray for me. thou hast also makest prayers unto our Lord that thou and thee wife, may receiveth perfect unity with our God.

2008/1/22 1:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy