SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Must listen - Was Jesus a Zionist?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
openairboy

Re:

David,

I don't think you are really listening to what is being said in this thread. It is more of a knee-jerk response rather than a thoughtful response. To say you "tried" poor and sad, and didn't like isn't the message of the sermon or this thread. This also isn't an issue of 'prooftexting'. The Beatitudes quoted were just ignored or, if you like, C.S. Lewis once said, "There is a joy that makes you serious." We aren't talking about false gloom, false poverty, or "trying" some attitude for a season.

I am a Protestant and reading "Poverty in the Theology of John Calvin". I highly recommend it and I think you are right in agreement. The opening paragraph: "John Calvin was one fo the several Reformers who challenged the Roman Church's understanding of poverty. During the Reformation, the practice of taking clerical and monastic vows was rejected, able-bodied vagrants were exhorted to work, and the poor were no longer seen as virtuous or to be indulged by the rich in order to gain eternal security. As one historian states, 'Poerty or rather the poor were not despised,' yet most importantly, they 'were no longer idealized.' As a leader of the Protestant Reformation, John Calvin shared this view which separated poverty from the virtue attached to it..."

You are right, there is no virtue in poverty, but we must also recognize that we have much. Even if you are poor in America, you still have much. That's not to make anyone feel guilty in and of itself, but try to listen to what is being said in this thread rather than just responding to respond.

Your response to the Beatitudes as "the joy of the Lord is my strength...amen?" wasn't a thoughtful response. It is not an issue of not being joyful. In fact, if the joy of the Lord was your strength, then your poverty wouldn't bother you as much. In fact, like Paul, you could say, "I can be content in all situations." It didn't sound like you were content. Learn to be content.

openairboy

2008/1/20 0:23Profile
psalm1

Re:

Openairboy, yes i think we can all reach higher.
I am not indifferent to the poor.
I quit tithing about 25 years ago after i read my bible.
God showed me how to use my finances to help the poor and the brethren.
I have my treasure in heaven and do appreciate the helps ministry.
It is an awesome thing to give and I get such a rush when I do.
And yes I have had my personal boycott against wal-mart for about 5 years,for the same reason....slave labor.We can go to wal-mart and exploit those slaves so we can have a cheaper price.
Only part of what mr Servant is true.
Just like only part of the faith movement is true.
But what i see more and more is "lets throw out the faith movement teaching and their scriptures but overlook our teachers error"
We seem to be letting ourselves fall into a mindset of measuring our correctness against what we perceive to be false.

David

2008/1/20 1:54Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Who are God’s “chosen people” today?

https://www.christianzionism.org/biblical-questions/

2008/1/20 3:32Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Brother Christian,

I love your heart. You are indeed a blessing!

I just finished listening to this sermon. I was surprised to hear Brother David speaking so softly and calmly on the subject. Perhaps its because I'm very passionate about it, but I expected to hear more of a rebuke in a message like this. This is a tremendous problem in America. Greed, waste, lust, desire and discontentment are all like diseases out of control.

But, I'm not wise and I'm sure this is why God has not made me a preacher! The Holy Spirit knows best how people need to hear this sermon. They probably needed to hear it delivered in love, rather than as a rebuke.

Like my name here says, I enjoy "Simple Living." The less I have, the more content I seem to become. I enjoy being mobile. My apartment is only 350 square feet (32.5 sqm). I live on 50% of my income and have only what I need and my computer. Friends can't believe that I live without a microwave, dishwasher, stereo, or television. I learned that as long as I have a Bible, I truly do have all I need! (I was homeless at one time.)

When I moved back to America from Ireland, I was robbed at the airport and had only $20 to start life over with in the US. I foolishly applied for a credit card and that turned into two. I also have a student loan that I am paying off. Even with this debt, I am living on 50% of my income. I use the other 50% to pay my debt. Within the year, I will be debt free!

I'm praying now that God will help me be a better steward of His resources when I'm free from debt.

Den May Guden mottar härlighet från våra liv!

2008/1/20 5:45Profile
psalm1

Re:

Bro. christian, Yes to everything! Amen,amen,amen

God bless!

David

2008/1/20 15:20Profile
psalm1

Re:

Bro Keith, Wow thats quite a testimony.It's good we have si to tell our testimonies ...amen?

It is good to get those windows into the lives of the brethren.
All our testimonies are priceless!

David

2008/1/20 15:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy