Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 MUST HEAR: Humanizing God by Lou Sutera

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/lousutera.gif[/img]

Saints,

Lou Sutera is honest with the hearers sharing how desperately wicked society has become around us. His main point is showing how little esteemed God is and how society and sadly Christians have "humanized God" to make Him as we are. Revival is utmost and necessary to see God as He truly is! This message is a clarion call for the need and urgency we should have.

[b]Humanizing God[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=11448&commentView=itemComments

2008/1/16 21:43Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: MUST HEAR: Humanizing God by Lou Sutera

Very good! This cirtainly puts the finger on one of the major problems today.

Greg, do you know when this was preached? It may be 20 years old or so but it is just as or even more relevant today.

Truly getting to grips on a right view of God will lead us to a closer relationship with Him and able us to reflect Him better.

I'll have to get hold of the AW Tozer book 'the knowledge of the Holy' as Mr Sutera recommends.

Thanks again Greg for this sermon.

Ste

*EDIT* Tozer's book is readable here...
http://www.heavendwellers.com/hdt_knowledge_of_the_holy.htm

2008/1/16 23:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[b]Shocking Honesty.. [/b]

Reviewed by: sermonindex
It is hard to hear the brutal honesty shared from this dear brother. Points about rock music is very truthful. The Church must realize we are watching and admiring people who are going to hell and the wrath of God hangs over their heads. May we pray and be set apart!

[b]Add a comment to this sermon:[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=11448&commentView=postComment

2008/1/17 6:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
The Church must realize we are watching and admiring people who are going to hell and the wrath of God hangs over their heads.

This quote reminds me of one my uncle (by marriage) made years ago about the TV. It went something like this: "Can you imagine what God would have told the Israelites in the OT if they would have had TV and were being entertained by the Moabites, Philistines?"

ginnyrose

2008/1/17 7:55Profile
dohzman

I just listened to the beginning of this sermon. He mentioned an "emotional spert", and I understand what he's talking about, but what many are trying to do is divorce emotion from revival, in that case revival will never happen. Our God and Father is not only intellectual but also emotional, not in a negative sense but is all in all that which encompasses positive emotional action. Science has proof positive that as humans we as human beings learn life lessons better when there is a proper mix of both intelligence and emotion. Remove one from the other and we will soon forget that lesson, I think the fall off is something like 60% to 75%.
We center on music and say that we don't what to manipulate peoples emotions though music, than we turn right around and try to manipulate peoples emotions through the preaching of the Word of God! I know nothing of the revival Mr. Sutura and his brother had except this, they used music for thier launching stage. The one element that is nessary for true revival is Faith, genuine Faith, what happened to repentance? Well repentance can be a work of the flesh just like so many other things, but God who see s the heart knows when real faith is present and will never let down such a one who expresses such toward Him. Wrapped up in genuine faith is things like humility and dependence, relationship and personal accountability, conscience and reason, action and result. To all who read this, God's Words can not, no must not be read with a monatone understanding, a non-emotional voice, He created us in His own image and delights in His creation!You'll find that in Proverbs. We humanize God when we limit Him and turn to our own ways and faith stops. If this generation is going to be reached it will certainly be through the emotions mixed with that rational that reaches down into the intellect where change happens and folks are changed. Quech the emotions and you've killed all that the Holy Spirit has started to do in a person, is that grieving or murder?

2008/1/17 7:55Profile

Daryl,

Thank you so much for this. If I was to say 'good word, bro' it would be an understatement. You spoke right to the heart of my need to recover healthy emotional integration across the whole breadth of my living. I know when you read this you'll pray for me, but believe that I have already received 'the word' and it would be another understatement to say it could not be more timely. It is spot on.

As I write, I realise that my inability to express myself verbally in the past, which led to my crying instead (so many times), made me look emotionally unbalanced. But praise God He knows the real truth about the knots we find ourselves trying to untie, and He knows how to bring us to the place of allowing Him to cut the knot, or, ourselves becoming disentangled through our obedience, with the least amount of additional trauma.

Like all the best words from God, this has caught me unawares, but AMEN! And another thank you.

2008/1/17 8:11
BVO

ohio

Re: Emotions

This might be a little off the main thrust as I haven't listened to the message yet, but as manipulation of emotions was mentioned (and I am headstrong against much that is done to that end), I remembered something that Denny Kenaston said concerning the Holy Spirit and the Charismatic movement. Many get so wrapped up in the experience that they become addicted to the experience that it carries too high a place (maybe even taking the place of God), but warned that you will certainly have emotion when the Holy Spirit comes upon you so let's not ignore that. I look forward to the message, and thank Geg for his recommendations. These featured sermons have introduced me to people I never heard of and am glad I "met". Lord Bless and thanks Barry

2008/1/17 8:25Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
To all who read this, God's Words can not, no [i]must[/i] not be read with a monatone understanding, a non-emotional voice, He created us in His own image and delights in His creation!

Must not? Is God not sovereign? I recall that Edwards read "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" from the manuscript in a monotonous, gravel voice. While it is true that God created us in His image, and delights in His creation, does this delightfulness qualify a transitory emotion of soul? There is a way to rejoice in God without exhibiting a pseudo-charismatic ebullience of emotion. Not that expressing emotion is wrong, mind you, like strong weeping or explosive joy. If these outbursts are the [i]result[/i], I agree that we shouldn't interfere...but if they are being exhibited to merely kick-start revival through music or the foisting-off of something familiar via the soul, I believe it should be called out and labeled for what it is.

Quote:
Quech the emotions and you've killed all that the Holy Spirit has started to do in a person, is that grieving or murder?

The Holy Spirit is not hampered by emotion, nor is He slave to emotion. It is the other way around; emotion can be the outward manifiestion of the Holy Spirit brooding. Emotions caused by the Holy Spirit working is one thing - the emotion spoken of here (in the sermon) is a kind of soulishness that masquerades as the antechamber of Holy Spirit revival. It purports to be the cause and not the result, the head and not the tail.

Brother Paul

2008/1/17 9:00Profile

Brother Paul,

I think you may have crossed a couple of wires in your reading of Daryl's comments. There are quite a few preachers who read their sermons relatively unemotionally, with flat uninteresting voices, and they can do that because the punch is in the words they've written, and the truth of those words, and the message God has given them to deliver will stand by itself. And you're right, we can do that with the Bible also. But, I don't think either you or Daryl believe God's word is delivered to us [u]without passion[/u] [i][b]on His part[/i][/b].

2008/1/17 10:16
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
But, I don't think either you or Daryl believe God's word is delivered to us without passion on His part

Yes, I understand this, and agree. But if we are now comparing emotion to passion, we should make some delineations. I believe these are two separate things; passion doesn't neccesarily have to be expressed via emotion. One can have emotionless passion, a great passion for the Word of God and holiness in His church - and not show it externally. The unction of God transcends human emotion, though I agree that the [i]effects[/i] of the unction of God can certainly spur emotions, which, in this case would be the human surface reaction to a deeper spiritual working, a burden, a passion.

All I am saying is I believe there are two types of causes for emotions - the soul cause and the Spirit cause. An illustration we can use is the surface of the ocean. If turbulence suddenly breaks the surface of the water with ripples and currents, the cause can be twofold. The soulish cause in this case could be a structure beneath the surface moving about; a school of fish, a frenzied shark, a submarine. The Spirit cause in this case would be the [i]wind blowing upon the surface of the deep.[/i] One comes from without, the other from within. I submit that we can read the Word of God without surface emotion and the Sword can pierce its object silently, secretly, fatally. Conversely, we can read the Word of God with great emotion and it be nothing more than sounding brass, the emotional turbulence of a thrashing music-shark, or the emerging submarine of unctionless preaching. Note, these things cause great waves, great foam, great splashes - and only produce a temporary surface aberration.

My only objection to Daryl's post was his assertive teaching that God's Word [i]must[/i] not be separated from emotion - that there [i]must[/i] be emotion in the voice. Perhaps I misunderstood this brother; in any case, I'm sure he will defend his stance and we can thoughtfully engage each other with charity and grace.

Brother Paul

2008/1/17 10:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy