Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Contemporary Christian Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Contemporary Christian Music

Brother Keith Daniel said, in one of his audio teachings, that contemporary Christian music is not Godly. That you don't win the world by using the world's ways. He mentioned the music and dancing, even commenting on the music being played when he's walked into Christian/Church bookstores.

What are your thoughts on this? There isn't any scripture for this that I'm aware of. Is it more of a personal choice? If it's a stumbling block to you then you shouldn't listen - kind of thing? Then again, I see his point because I've been to many churches where this music is entertainment, not worship. It's presented in an entertaining way and people sing and dance as if they're entertained.

Then again, couldn't the same be said for movies? Sherwood Baptist Church in Georgia makes Christian films. Flywheel, then Facing the Giants and they're in production with their third movie. I've really enjoyed them and think they're powerful.

I'm not looking to justify anyting. I'm looking for truth, which will be found in prayer. Here, I guess, I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions. Without scriptural backing, it would seem to me that, as long as these things are not distracting to us, or temptations that steal away from spending time with God and His Word, that they might be fine. What do you think? I'm certainly open to correction.

2008/1/14 11:57Profile

Re: Contemporary Christian Music

Here we go again... :-?

There have been many threads and debates in the past over this subject, have a dig around the forum for them.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4437&forum=35]Contemporary Christian Music[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2872&forum=35]Christian rock music...?[/url]

Those'll get you started :-)

2008/1/14 12:13
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Contemporary Christian Music

Fanny Crosby said: You should never take the song of zion and put it with the tune of Babylon.

2008/1/14 12:13Profile

Re:

But Fanny, as dear as she was, was not writing scripture under the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit when she said that.

We need scripture.

Krispy

2008/1/14 12:27
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
But Fanny, as dear as she was, was not writing scripture under the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit when she said that.

We need scripture.

Krispy

you are right,

MY OWN conviction is, much of what is out there are not good, not godly...but there are exceptions. In sweden we have a saying, maybe you do to? but it says like this, "this is the exception that confirms the rule"

I can say Keith Green is one of those exceptions that confirm the rule , probably there are some more out there. But I believe most of them are owned by the world, they are just a "pawn" in large wordly music industry's machine to make money.

As for the music styles, i cant show you a verse and say rock and roll is evil according to scripture. I cant. I wish i could, But its not there, but.... I think we should be very discerning, and also if my music style can make a brother stumble i should give it up i believe. I just have a hard time for you know white painted faces with black long hair in front of their faces , looking like zombies / demons and singing about Jesus, there are such, and music is so loud and screaming you cant really make out what they sing.....

for me i have a hard time for any band, group that would charge a fee for entrance pay for "worship"/"praise" singing. But that is just me....

2008/1/14 12:42Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

I apologize. My intention wasn't to start a debate. To be honest, I don't understand why issues are taken beyond discussions and into a debate. It might just be my nature, but I've never understood debates. The same thing can be accomplished through discussions, as long as people remain respectful and not get personal or insulting. I don't take opposing opinions personally.

I agree, I should have done a search first. But even then, if I responded to that thread, it would have brought that post back up to the front again, and the topic is brought back to light.

I'd rather this thread be closed without the question answered at all, than to see it cause strife.

2008/1/14 12:47Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

hmmhmm wrote:

Quote:
for me i have a hard time for any band, group that would charge a fee for entrance pay for "worship"/"praise" singing. But that is just me....

I agree wholeheartedly! We have Christian artists that come to churches here, in Minneapolis, and charge admission. I don't understand it. It's never set well with me. That's worship being used for entertainment. Even if they hold a "concert" in a public stadium, it's worship as entertainment and seems wrong [i]to me.[/i] I understand the selling of CDs, but not this.

I'm still wondering if the music itself is Godly or not. Keith Green was obviously worshiping. Anyone whose heard him teach can tell you that.

I can see where this can get into legalism, too, which is where much of the danger in this topic lies.

2008/1/14 12:56Profile

Re:

Quote:
I apologize. My intention wasn't to start a debate.

Some topics are going to turn into a debate no matter what... and this is definately one of them. But hey, thats pretty much what we do here. There is nothing wrong with batting a topic back and forth so long as everything is done in the right spirit.

Krispy

2008/1/14 13:21
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
But hey, thats pretty much what we do here.

...and relish, I might add.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with batting a topic back and forth

This "batted" topic, however, happens to be a loaded ball, filled with paint. One good swing and it will bust open and make a huge mess. The author of this thread is innocent enough; he doesn't realise the potential carnage such a topic can generate. There's some big sluggers in here wearing paint-aprons, so be advised.

;-)

2008/1/14 14:04Profile

Re:

You're right Paul... which is why I intend only getting ankle deep in this discussion. :-)

Krispy

2008/1/14 14:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy