Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dysnomia

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
crusader

Australia:

Dysnomia

Hi all

A few things have bothered me over the last two years when i am trying to relate to some peoples posts on S.I. so i thought i might just respond with this post.

I personally get very frustrated passionatley when people through around scriptures in a fleshly manner as i find it legilistic and enslaving to thoses that have the spirit of God but are unable to qualify their thoughts on paper.

Recently i decided to search with in my self to see why this is such a stumbling block for me and i have to say that i need to humble myself because the frustration has been because of the error with in me "remove the plank from your own eye before trying to remove the speck from someone elses eye"

I am unable to record bible versus and relate them verbatim to others. I can read a a book out of the bible and understand it fully in sence and relate it the rest of the bible but i am unable to say to someone else this verse lines up with this verse, hence getting me frustrated when i try to explain and correct someones theology. I noticed though that the lord has not lead me down the way of memorizing the bible but illustrating it to me through modern day parables. I can read large articles and define in my spirit who is on track and who isn't but generally my diagnosis is not on the finer points but more of the article in whole starting from the spiritual foundation of the writer and his or her intentions of writing and responding to issues.

Today through a little research i have found out that i have dysnomia which means i have trouble remembering the exact words at the time they are needed to be expressed. My challenge now is do i continue to walk the same way with the lord that i always have (which to me is very clear but hard for me to teach others) or do i seek a cure and change the way i react with the lord. I supose for many years I have been very jealous of people who can recall scripture for disscussions were as i can not. I see my relationship with Jesus is like a blindman walking through a hazadous street depending on someone to keep him from tripping over" My Lord has been like that to me, i have had hold on to him when false teachers were around me and i was unable to see their deceptions biblically but i knew there was something wrong. I do know this that the lord has made my imagination very strong probably because of my lack of remembering letter's

1. Does this Make me less interlectual as a christian when talking to the elect?

2. Has God allowed me to grow up this way to show Gentiles his kingdom through different Eye's?

3. Can the Lord be glorified through me being like this or does he want me to overcome this and join the mainstream of christianity.

welcome to all thoughts on this post

:-(

2008/1/11 19:25Profile

Re: Dysnomia

I too struggle with some of those things that I feel very inadaquate in my posting and speaking and saying it exactly as the Holy Spirit speaks to me. Phil 4:13 I believe it is, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. If we are passionate to do HIS work and we are lacking in an area, I just consider it that he gives me the strength for what he would have me do. If I fail and am ridiculed in my efforts to spread HIS truth, I have been obedient anyway and that's will keep us filled HIS peace that passes all understanding. Thank you for sharing.
moe_mac
And if we know we are weak and we know who is strong. THE FIRST SHALL BE LAST AND THE LAST FIRST.
Yea, the weak things my friend.
Thank you Jesus.

2008/1/11 19:36
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
I am unable to record bible versus and relate them verbatim to others. I can read a a book out of the bible and understand it fully in sence and relate it the rest of the bible but i am unable to say to someone else this verse lines up with this verse, hence getting me frustrated when i try to explain and correct someones theology.

Brother, I'd like to give you some humble advice that really works. If you've noticed, I rarely quote verbatim scripture in my posts, and I don't cut and paste them from E-Sword or Blue Letter either. If someone does, that's fine, but I often opt not to. Now, you said this:

Quote:
I personally get very frustrated passionatley when people through around scriptures in a fleshly manner as i find it legilistic and enslaving to thoses that have the spirit of God but are unable to qualify their thoughts on paper.

And I concur. It [i]is[/i] frustrating! And not only that, it's [i]boring[/i] to read through it all. This is because the scriptures came not from the heart but the head. More often than not, the scriptures are used as tool for someone to win a debate or save face. God knows the heart, and does not anoint His Word under such circumstances, and the slew of generically-copied scripture just ends up festering in the post and provoking more debate.

Can I use an illustration to reveal a secret? The secret to wielding power in verse is not by memorizing in rote. And it's not in cutting and pasting from another website; the secret is in you reading your Bible in quiet time and getting the Word into your spirit. Little by little, through diligent meditation, sections of the Word will become a part of you. Verses will enter you and live and open up like flowers and the fragrance will permeate your posts without any effort on your behalf. Scripture allusions and references will be embedded, ingrafted into your sentences and thoughts. The Holy Spirit will tie together different verses to lend a salty flavor to the thoughts you are trying to convey. You won't need to quote chapter and verse to those who know the Bible; it will be understood and mouths will automatically be stopped.

If you eat a lot of garlic in private, it gets in your pores, and when you speak it makes itself known in public. You don't have to try to smell like garlic. You get a ball that glows in the dark and put it under a bright light; the light you exposed it to will be later be emanated when you move it to a darker realm. The same with the Word of God, brother. It giveth light when it enters. So, don't worry about becoming a cut-and-paste scrpiture virtuoso - such believers don't impress me. It's much better to see scripture bleed through your posts in ubiquitous fashion - without having to draw everyone's attention to the fact.

Study God's Word, dear brother, and It will take care of Itself.

Brother Paul

2008/1/11 19:54Profile

Hi brother crusader,

A while ago you shared with us about how the Lord gave you grace to share with your sons on a walk near the sea, and I was very blessed. I believe you have your own gift, and you don't have to try to be like anyone else. Of course, to stop being jealous and trust that God can use you just the way you are, and just as much, will be good.

I don't remember chapter and verses well at all, nor the exact wording of scripture, but I try to keep track of a theme or narrative in which the Lord showed me something, so that if ever I need to find it again, I have the name of a person who appeared in the story, or a keyword or phrase which struck me at the time. Then I use the online Bible search engine at [url=www.olivetree.com]www.olivetree.com[/url], where I can set up the parameters including most translations except the KJV. Usually, I just search the whole Bible. It's amazing what one learns!

A literary device for recalling a word which just won't come forward to mind, is to keep writing the sentence leaving the space for it, in the hope it will come to consciousness while you're not [i]trying[/i] to think of it.

Sometimes I leave an * in the spot, or a bigger space, or XXXXX, to be able to find the gap more easily later, to give my brain time to range round and find it. This doesn't happen often.... but (apart from the fact no-one else will ever know if you don't tell them), it's quite okay to [i]compose[/i] your posts at your leisure. I know at least two people on SI who write their posts in a different format, before pasting them into the reply boxes.

I hope these thoughts make you feel better, as you have a lot to offer, and your posts are always a ministry of truth and love.

2008/1/11 20:00

Re:

Brother, I hope to encourage you as the Lord has encouraged me, personally.

I worked with people with dementia and Alzheimer and when the person was genuinely Saved - even though their brains were GONE - and I mean GONE - they still exhibited the presence of the Spirit of Jesus - the Word.
Some were reduced down to the equivalent of a 3 month old, yet - that "Presence" was there and Sis LittleGift has shared these type stories here also, from her experience of working with these type Patients.

One true story I love to share is when working at the Nursing Home, a rather unhumble employee who thought he was a scholar, quoted a certain Proverb that he felt would make him look more spiritual before the crowd of workers who were talking. Suddenly, a Patient who was full-blown senile, popped back with another Proverb that made him look rather silly. That in probably less than a blink of an eye, the woman didn't remember what she had just said - and didn't even know where she was or barely who.
It almost took the place down. Such a lesson in what "intellect" is and Isn't. :)

The Word is deposited into our "Spirits", because it is "spiritually discerned" - so no brain is needed - or necessary.

Verses come up from my spirit, out of nowhere, that fit a situation, when my brain is asleep - so to speak.

One thing that has helped me through the years is to stay with the KJV and that because - if I can't remember where a verse is or it's exact wording - I remember enough of the verse - maybe just one word - to type into the Bible Search of the e-sword or look up in the Strong's book.

Another good thing is to just play the Bible on tapes or CDs and Realize, that it's being deposited into your spirit and the mind is not necessary ... despite what some folks may "think". :-)

In fact, the Word should be read that way - as a little child, trusting our Father, that His Word does not "go out void" and it is "spiritual" and hence - is being stored in one's spirit.

Repeating verses verbatim is not necessary - but getting His Word into us is very important, nevertheless.

He will honor any efforts in that direction. Not to "memorize" but just to Love His Word.

Praise GOD - HE doesn't need our "brains" - just our LOVE. That's been tested and proved !

Glory to GOD.

Edit: Wow, I must be pokey - neither Paul nor Dorcas' replies were there when I was typing.

2008/1/11 20:04
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

I'm not sure if anyone is of the sort that marks their bibles (e.g., underlining verses, highlighting, writing notes in the margins etc), but here a trick I learned:

Some Christian bookstores have in their stationary sections (if that is, they have one) special highlighter pens designed for Bibles. Here's what you do:
1. Get as many different colors as you can, and assign each one a theme you consider to be a defining point of your Christian walk.
2. Get online and look for Bible verses that describe each theme.
3. Take your highlighter and highlight each verse.

Try it! :-)

2008/1/11 20:59Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re:

I learn so much from everyone here and i thankyou for your comments as i take them to heart and meditate on them. Sometimes when i read a chapter the lord makes it so real in my imagination that he will play them along side other scriptures that i have read so that i get the whole picture. My learing ability apears to be strongly visual because even when i pray and worship to my Lord the visions and glories things i see are so precious to me. This makes the bible alive to me everyday, when i pray i feel my prayers and know that they are being heard. Most important thing out of all of this is that my love grows everyday to the lord and it is very personal. The bible to me is the living lord jesus christ in my heart, i personally know him which allows me to sence something that does not represent him. I had a pastor one time that use to teach me some heavy pearls out of the bible. I could not comprehend what he was trying to tell me but i knew what he was saying was right, after 4 years the revelations of the things he told me are still comming to fruit to this day.

P.s i liked the analogy about the Garlic that put the same but different light on my understanding.

going to the theatre with my wife tonight got to go

2008/1/11 21:10Profile

Quote:

crusader wrote:
...1. Does this Make me less interlectual as a christian when talking to the elect?

Hi Brother

Why do you want to be intellectual? I've found the intellect can be a snare, a hindrance to faith and daily, hourly, moment by moment dependance on God.

Not that intellectual understanding is wrong in itself - God gave us our brains after all - however intellectual or otherwise we may feel ourselves to be! But our intellect, as well as everything else we have and are, needs to be fully submitted to Him. And often the intellect resists strongly even when with our wills we want to lay down our own wisdom and understanding at His feet.

The "uncrucified" intellect (as you have seen) can argue theology and miss Truth.

Also, *as with our physical senses*, the spiritual understanding and discernment is usually sharpened if you are lacking in some other area. As you have found.

[*Someone who is blind usually has greatly sharpened senses of hearing and touch*]

Quote:
2. Has God allowed me to grow up this way to show Gentiles his kingdom through different Eye's?

Probably!

Quote:
3. Can the Lord be glorified through me being like this

YES!!!

Quote:
or does he want me to overcome this and join the mainstream of christianity.

Why do you want to "join the mainstream", when God has made you unique and made you His? there's a song that starts, "Any old dead fish can float downstream with the rest..."

I don't think it's wrong to work to overcome this disability by making the most of what ability you have. Some brethren have suggested ways you might do this. But at the same time, accept who you are in Christ, and try not to get frustrated with what you can't do. You are who you are. YOu can or can't do what you can or can't, for His glory! We all have things we would like to be able to do and don't have the mental or physical ability for it. I have problems remembering numbers, names, dates people's birthdays, or verbal messages for very long - have to write everything down.

Maybe the Lord will heal your dysnomia one of these days, (no harm in asking, if you haven't already!). All it would take would be for Him to "rewire" your brain a little.

But I think its more likely that He wants you to depend on Him, and not lose that precious "simplicity that is in Christ", and the wonderful way He speaks to you in picture and parable form, and also the discernment that he gives, even though you have difficulty putting it all into words. That in itself is a great gift - don't be tempted to despise it.

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/13 15:45

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

Hi brother crusader,

A while ago you shared with us about how the Lord gave you grace to share with your sons on a walk near the sea, and I was very blessed.

Me too! :-D

Quote:
...I don't remember chapter and verses well at all, nor the exact wording of scripture,

I have exactly the same problem! I often remember who said what, and the gist of what happened; even the part of the Bible it's in, such as "either Kings or Chronicles", or "somewhere in the Epistles". Give me a fairly obscure name of some Bible character and I'll usually say, "wasn't he the fellow who...?" But exactly [i]where[/i] the passage is, is another matter.

Its a blessing to have Bible search tools on the internet, isn't it! I used to have great difficulty with Strong's Concordance because of not being able to remember the four numbers long enough, to flip over the pages to find the word!

Quote:
This doesn't happen often.... but (apart from the fact no-one else will ever know if you don't tell them), it's quite okay to [i]compose[/i] your posts at your leisure. I know at least two people on SI who write their posts in a different format, before pasting them into the reply boxes.

I do that sometimes, especially with a long reply, or something that has to be prayed about before replying. Cutting and pasting into Word or similar is easier to study and concentrate on.

Quote:
I hope these thoughts make you feel better, as you have a lot to offer, and your posts are always a ministry of truth and love.

Amen!

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/13 16:06

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:
...I use the online Bible search engine at [url=www.olivetree.com]www.olivetree.com[/url], ...

Hi Linn

Forgot to say, thanks for the link, haven't come across that one. I mostly use "Online Bible" (that can be downloaded and used offline). It has the advantage of being able to look up a phrase, not only a single word. It has KJV (not sure about other versions) and Strong's numbers, so you can just put the curser over the number and it will tell you the meaning of the word. It also has cross-references, so you can follow other connected scriptures.

Blessings

jeannette

2008/1/13 16:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy