SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Benny Hinn and I. V. Hillard resign from Oral Roberts University...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Benny Hinn and I. V. Hillard resign from Oral Roberts University...

[b]Hinn, Hilliard resign ORU regents posts [/b]
By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS,
Associated Press Writer
10 January 2008

TULSA, Okla. - Two televangelists have resigned their posts as regents at Oral Roberts University, as the debt-ridden school tries to regroup following a spending scandal involving its former president. The university on Thursday also settled with one of three professors who filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the school.

Benny Hinn and I.V. Hilliard resigned as regents, where they were involved in making major school decisions, university spokesman Jeremy Burton said Thursday. Burton declined to say why the two resigned, but said both wrote the board to express their support for the school's mission.

The resignations come a month after the resignations from the board of regents of two other televangelists, Jesse Duplantis and Creflo Dollar.

Hinn and Dollar are among six televangelists being investigated by Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley to determine if the high-profile preachers violated their organizations' tax-exempt status by living lavishly on the backs of small donors. They have denied wrongdoing.

A phone message left after-hours Thursday at Hilliard's ministry, The New Light Christian Center, was not immediately returned. Ronn Torossian, a spokesman for Hinn, did not immediately respond to an e-mail message sent after-hours Thursday seeking comment.

The resignations follow that of Richard Roberts, who stepped down as university president in November amid allegations he misspent school funds to bankroll a lavish lifestyle. Roberts, the son of school founder Oral Roberts, held the position at the 5,700-student school since 1993.

Former regent Harry McNevin, who resigned 20 years ago over what he says was excessive spending by Oral and Richard Roberts, said Thursday's resignations couldn't have come soon enough.

"The whole board needs to go," McNevin said. "I see (the university) as a corporation belonging to the Robertses."

Meanwhile, John Swails settled his wrongful termination lawsuit and will be reinstated as a professor. He was chairman of the school's department of history, humanities and government.

Other terms of the agreement are confidential, attorneys for both parties said late Thursday.

"I'm satisfied," Swails said, when reached by phone, adding that he could not comment further.

The other two professors, Tim and Paulita Brooker, will continue their case against the school. Tim Brooker said Thursday there was "still a chance" for him to settle the case, but in the meantime, "we'll proceed with pursuing the truth."

In their lawsuit, the professors accused Richard Roberts of spending school funds on shopping sprees, a stable of horses for his family and a Bahamas trip for his daughter and her friends aboard a university jet — all with the university more than $50 million in debt. Richard Roberts has denied wrongdoing.

Frank Hagedorn, an attorney for Roberts, read a statement Thursday from his client, "The university decided to settle this case and I support the university."

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080111/ap_on_re_us/oral_roberts_scandal]CLICK HERE[/url] to read entire article.

:-(

2008/1/10 22:30Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Benny Hinn and I. V. Hillard resign from Oral Roberts University...

.................Good News Good News.............

I say let's investigate them all.................

2008/1/15 14:24Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Just thought about something else as I posted could be the start of something else.

Beware of the angry watchmen by Carter Colon
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=16014

Carter Colon speaks to warn us of a False Move of God that's coming. Could be the tide is turning I'll be keeping an eye on it to see what happens. Listen to this a take heed of the warning...........

2008/1/15 14:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
Hinn and Dollar are among six televangelists being investigated by Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley to determine if the high-profile preachers violated their organizations' tax-exempt status by living lavishly on the backs of small donors. They have denied wrongdoing.

More than likely this is the reason why they resigned... and Vreflo Dollar and Duplantis as well. They have enough trouble with this investigation going on, they dont need any more w/ ORU.

Oh whatever happened to the simple carpenter who walked the dusty roads of Judea proclaiming that the Kingdom of God was at hand?

Krispy

2008/1/15 14:55
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
Oh whatever happened to the simple carpenter who walked the dusty roads of Judea proclaiming that the Kingdom of God was at hand?

they killed him..... that road never was to popular

2008/1/15 15:05Profile

Re:

Quote:

Thank God the Kingdom of God has come. Amen!

2008/1/15 15:33
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm said:

they killed him..... that road never was to popular

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

I love the KJV of Matthew 7:14
:-)

2008/1/15 15:38Profile

Re:

I'll probably get stones thrown at me for this... but I heard a song by The Eagles yesterday and the lyrics rung out at me. They dont claim to be Christians, but they sure have a grasp on American Christianity... and this thread brought one verse from the song to mind. I had to look the lyrics up, but this is it...

Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
The Eagles

[i]And we pray to our Lord
Who we know is American
He reigns from on high
He speaks to us through middlemen
And he shepherds his flock
We sing out and we praise His name
He supports us in war
He presides over football games
And the right will prevail
All our troubles shall be resolved
We have faith in the Lord
Unless there's money or sex involved[/i]

I think it's incredible how even unsaved people can see the difference between the God of the Bible and the god of American Christianity. They are not mocking God, they are mocking the Christian "culture" in this country... and I have to say... I agree with them.

Krispy

2008/1/15 16:18
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Eze 16:49-52 Sodom's sins were pride, laziness, and gluttony, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door. She was proud and did loathsome things, so I wiped her out, as you have seen. "Even Samaria did not commit half your sins. You have done far more loathsome things than your sisters ever did. They seem righteous compared to you! You should be deeply ashamed because your sins are so terrible. In comparison, you make your sisters seem innocent!

NLT

I feel ashamed brother Steve, grieved, by the worlds testimony like that about Christianity. God have mercy upon us. What is happening in Christendom?

edit: and yes, they are very right, even the world can discern better then some professing christians.

2008/1/15 16:25Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Well said Krispy I will use that one day.

2008/1/16 6:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy