SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Who Anointed Paul???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Who Anointed Paul???

Much of what we discuss on SI has to do with Grace and Works...How much grace, how much works, and what are they to flow from.

Jesus anointed the 11 Apostles by breathing on them.

Saul claimed to be anointed by Jesus, on the Damascus Road, or in his healing from the blindness that appearance caused.

Was that Paul's anointing?

Paul preached a message that not even the 11 Apostles truly understood. Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ. It is the heart of Christianity.

Yet Paul made a lot of rules for Gentiles to live by. Was that his job? In converting the Gentiles, was he to also tell them how to live?

Or merely to give them Jesus' message on grace?

Did Paul overstep his bounds? For there are conflicts in what Paul said that conflict with what the other Apostles said, and even what Jesus said.

[color=0000FF]2 Peter 3: 11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13. Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15. And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; [b]even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16. As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; [u]in which are some things hard to be understood,[/u] which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.[/b]
17. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.[/color]

And can an Apostle be humanly wrong, and still have a true message?

For those that love Paul and his message, please note that this is a question on doctrine, not an attack on Paul's message of Grace through Faith.

Blessings,

Forrest

2008/1/10 21:54Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Who Anointed Paul???

Quote:
Did Paul overstep his bounds? For there are conflicts in what Paul said that conflict with what the other Apostles said, and even what Jesus said.

I believe that Paul's doctrine and teaching in every single epistle he wrote was 100% inspired by the Holy Ghost. Every word is perfect, purified 7 times by the Holy Spirit, every thought true - the true and perfect and sovereign will of God for our instruction in 2008, and I give the exact same non-negotiable credence to all of Paul's words as I do the recorded words of Christ in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Of course, I don't worship Paul...but I do consider his words, doctrine, theology, moral standards and judgments all to be perfect, and I read them as though it were God Himself personally speaking them to my spirit.

I dare ask...don't you? :-o

2008/1/10 22:17Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:

I believe that Paul's doctrine and teaching in every single epistle he wrote was 100% inspired by the Holy Ghost...Of course, I don't worship Paul...but I do consider his words, doctrine, theology, moral standards and judgments all to be perfect, and I read them as though it were God Himself personally speaking them to my spirit.

I dare ask...don't you? :-o

Brother,

You've obviously never been to my website, or you would know straight off that I believe the Bible is [b]inherently[/b] true...not [b]inerrently[/b] true.

Being inspired by God is much different than being the literal WORD of GOD, and hence, worthy of Worship. The Bible is not the WORD...it is not Jesus, who is the WORD.

I worship Jesus, not the Bible, BUT I do believe that God wanted what's in our Bible to be there, because I believe that God is in control of everything.

I simply want to discuss why God would have Paul contradict some things that Jesus said...is it merely contextual?

Is it appropriate for a man of God to 'be all things to all people'? That sounds like manpleasing, but it could be read differently.

Many things that the Catholic Church latched on to have to do with Paul.

His Hierarchy of Bishops and Elders; His unfortunate words against a women speaking in Church, when it was actually a Synagogue,(and Synagogues are very noisy places.)even though many women have spoken for God in the past. Still, Paul's words have been used against women for centuries...heavens, how many women have been killed for disagreeing with a man, much less a priest?

I obey all these rules...by staying out of any churches.

I probably would not stay away from Churches if I were not disabled, but I would be hard put to find a church that is not already contaminated by the false doctrines out there, and there are many of those.

I do not even in my website teach with authority...nor do I know who visits it, or whether they are male or female, since I don't ask for money, and hence can't know who comes there.

If I went to a church, and wanted to speak against some of the lamentable preaching out there, I would wear a head covering, because it would show that I meant business, and was taking the Lord for my covering, as I do in the rest of my life. And I would probably be evicted, or even arrested, for simply interrupting the service, and not just because I am a woman, but because our churches do not allow discussion, as synagogues, and the Temple did, and house churches now do.

But many people question not the message of Paul, but his frequently odd behavior.

WE are told to say yes or no, and let our word be yes for yes, and no for no, but Paul teaches men to lie if it is expedient 'for the faith', and the Catholic Church has been riding on that one a long time. They lie a lot. I believe it was Augustin who taught them to, but it could have come straight from Paul.

But if Paul lied about anything, then is his message suspect...or is Paul merely a man, being honest about how he works? And since he admits he lies, it is a problem.

[color=993300]"For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?" (ROM 3:7)[/color]

And please be aware that I am a Grace through Faith person, and read Paul frequently.

Let this not be personal, but a true discussion of points that bother many people about Paul. And they do bother people...enough to lead them away from Christianity, or to doubt God's message.

And I am asking because I am asked these questions, and I'd like to have some really good answers...if there are any!

Blessings,

Forrest

2008/1/10 23:59Profile
Compton

Quote:

For those that love Paul and his message, please note that this is a question on doctrine, not an attack on Paul's message of Grace through Faith.

HI Rev,

Before we respond to the questions as you have framed them, I'm wondering if we shouldn't first address the the frame you are using. You have presented us with a perplexity. You say you are not disputing Paul's message of grace through faith, but yet you accept there is contrariety in his message as an apostle, even saying he has contradicted Jesus' teachings occasionally, (if only for sake of context.) You also feel that the message of grace though faith seems to be unique to Paul and not even understood by the other apostles. If his testimony seems contrary on even the smallest points, as well as unique and without collaboration, then it follows that this Gospel of grace could very well be a proprietary invention.

How do you get pass this?

MC

2008/1/11 1:01Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

"""But if Paul lied about anything, then is his message suspect...or is Paul merely a man, being honest about how he works? And since he admits he lies, it is a problem"""

Are you saying that this is an admission of lying?

"""For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?" (ROM 3:7)""

We must by no means understand these words as spoken by the apostle himself in his own name, as if he had told lies for the upholding of the truth; and that the truth of God had abounded even more to the glory of God through his lies; but he speaks in the person of a profane objector. Not in that he Paul is that objector, by he Paul being a liar about the truth of God. This truth given Him directly by the Son of God, Jesus Himself. Thus some man (as if the aposthe Paul had said) may possibly plead for his sin: "The truth of God hath gained by my lie, the faithfulness of God is made more manifest by the unfaithfulness of men; therefore, why should I be judged and condemned as a sinner, when the glory of God will shine more bright upon the occasion of my sin? Answer; Paul is not a liar, but God will judge the sin of lying, if a man lie then he becomes the judged, because of the sin of lying, not more to the glory of God.

Paul is not admitting to any lie.

If Paul contradicted Jesus, show me. Jesus was preaching the Law to the Jew and the kingdom to Israel. Paul is preaching Grace by Faith of Jesus Christ because the Cross destroys the Law of death and sin, and gives life to Grace and truth.

Where did Paul lie? Where did Paul contradict Jesus?

We should no less thank God for Paul than we would thank God for Mary. They both brought Christ to the World and the Believer. All the Glory is to God for both.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/1/11 3:46Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi everyone,

The Apostle Paul was sent by the Lord Jesus in Acts chapter 9. His testimony was not only his own, but he was also [b]sent to[/b] from the Lord Jesus by a disciple named Ananias, whom the Lord spoke to in a vision. See Acts chapter 9 verse 1-16.

"But the Lord said unto him,

[b][color=660000]Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. [/color][/b]"

- Acts chapter 9 verses 15-16(KJV)

Chris

2008/1/11 6:06Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Brothers,

Thank you for your answers.

I'll look up my referants, and get back to you.

Thank you for your patience. I'll need a day or so to reply.

Blessings,

Forrest

2008/1/11 7:22Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
You've obviously never been to my website, or you would know straight off that I believe the Bible in inherently true...not inerrently true.

Hi, Forrest. I didn't know this was your standpoint on the Word of God. I guess I should have asked.

Paul

(edit) I edited some content that was not beneficial to you or others. I think most here understand the real danger in rejecting scripture inerrancy.

2008/1/11 8:11Profile

Re:

I believe the Bible is inerrently true (as preserved in the TR and the Hebrew Masoretic), and since you do not believe this... this is an impossible topic for us to come to any kind of common ground on.

Krispy

2008/1/11 8:17
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Rev,

I think you might have caused people to misunderstand what you are trying to say.

In your second post on this subject you said
'And I am asking because I am asked these questions...'

Had you said that in the beginning, then maybe it would not sound like you are attacking the Bible, which is what it does sound like.

Never forget that the fall of man was promted by a question, 'Has God said?', it was downhill all the way after that.

If peoples questions cause us to question God and doubt His word, our faith might get a blow it probably will never recover from.

That's it.

God bless.

2008/1/11 9:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy