SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Discernment teaching series by John Macarthur

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Many are still asking me to sent these out via e-mail

I just wanted to say they are avalible ONLINE HERE ---> [url=http://mkbible.net/hmmhmm/]DOWNLOAD [/url]

so click this link and download them from there, and if you are short on time, just listen to the last two, may God give us ears to hear.

Christian

2008/1/11 21:41Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Many are still asking me to sent these out via e-mail.
I just wanted to say they are avalible ONLINE HERE ---> DOWNLOAD

You may want to add this to your first post.

2008/1/11 21:55Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Discernment teaching series by John Macarthur

Dear HmmHmm,

I listened to the all 6 lessons about discernment from John MacArthur.
I agree with him in many points where he warns about disturbing trends in Christianity. Obviously, these series must be a couple of years old. Yes, we should study the word thoroughly and not believe every wind of teaching.

Nevertheless I have a major concern. I am fully aware that I am now questioning the credibility of a leading evangelical figure that many here hold in high esteem.

Only in his last session does he touch on the role of the Holy Spirit in discernment. As a Cessastionist he appears to almost downplay the involvement of the Spirit. You cannot rely on people like John MacArthur or anyone else to receive your discernment and swallow everything what they say.

In his book “Charismatic Chaos” MacArthur lashes out against all Charismatics. Yes, there is chaos and disorder in the Charismatic movement as there are in many other true movements. God has sent some teachers to bring much needed correction into this movement. MacArthur condemns God loving Charismatics who exercise their true spiritual gifts to build up the body of Christ. As a world-renowned teacher he will have to give an account about that. It is easy to find fault with the likes of Joel Osteen or Benny Hinn, but when it comes to acclaimed theologians we have to be all the more careful.

Here is a very helpful article by Zac Poonen about the gifts of the Holy Spirit which I believe has been posted here before.
The Truth About Speaking In Tongues - Zac Poonen
http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/articles.php?display=article07

I know a Christian leader in a discernment ministry who told me that he used to be a Charismatic and spoke in tongues. After he came to the conclusion that the gifts were not for today and thought his gift was counterfeit. He prayed that God would take it away – which he did and never spoke in tongues again.

I wonder how you can be an outspoken Cessationist and filled with the Holy Spirit at the same time? If you do not rely on the Spirit, you can only rely on your intellect. That would mean that smart guys like him are in advantage over those who love God but do not have the brains to analyse deep and subtle matters. I am sure God would not allow that.

Now I am coming back to my main point about the involvement of the Holy Spirit in discernment.

It says in John 10: 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." 6Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

Sheep are not exactly excelling in cleverness, but in their ability to follow the master shepherd.

1 John 2:27
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

I believe Word and Spirit have to go hand in hand for discernment otherwise you will inevitably be misled.

Philip

2008/1/20 20:12Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

narrowpath wrote:
Here is a very helpful article by Zac Poonen about the gifts of the Holy Spirit which I believe has been posted here before.
The Truth About Speaking In Tongues - Zac Poonen
http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/articles.php?display=article07

this article is the best balanced and correct interpretation of tongues i have ever read. I have read it before many times, but it is always wonderful to go back and see how simple it is. About Macarthur, i dont agree on everything he says either.... but most things ;-)

2008/1/21 3:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy