SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why Do I hate HYPOCRISY?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: pride and sin

Not only from the Bible have I learned how pride is at the root of sin- but it is also aparent in my own life and walk with the Lord. Every sin I commit is probably linked to hidden pride- even as I grow in the Lord, there is more hidden pride that i never knew existed.

Pride is the most subtle sin. (Reminds me of the enemy).It causes us to turn away from God instead of turning to Him. All disobedience has pride as its root. All rebellion has pride behind it. All mistreatment of other people is caused by pride: someone putting their self and their feelings above the other person and their feelings.

Pride causes people to do things apart from God. Keep their own rights and ways.

The love of money may have caused me to stumble many years ago when i was a lukewarm christian- but definitely not in the last few years. I can't say the same for pride, though. I have to be honest and say that I know that there is still hidden pride that i know nothing about yet-but trust that the Lord will reveal more and more to me in time.

Remember the sin of Sodom? It was not destroyed because of the love of money or even homosexuality- these were just the "effects" of the roots of their sins:

"Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. "And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit. Ezek. 16:49-50

Again, sounds like North America. :-(

Do you know that even being overly busy is pride-we think we can get along with out taking time for God. We want to do things our way right now.
We are leaning on flesh and not on God.

Also what comes to mind is: And He said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, "thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. "All these evil things come from within and defile a man." Mk. 7:20-23

Money or wealth does not come out of a man's heart.

2004/6/21 14:02Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

The New King James translates I Timothy 6:10 as:

For the love of is money a root of all [b]kinds[/b] of evil,

The NASB:

For the love of money is a root of all [b]sorts[/b] of evil,

(Emphasis added)

The immediate context (verse 9) is speaking to those who "want to get rich". The beginning verses of chapter 6 are addressing proud men and their distortions of the Truth. This leads me to believe that the Scriptures are not saying the love of money leads to [b]all[/b] evil; much perhaps, but certainly not all.

The logic presented by DelightedInU is consistent with the teaching of Scripture that all sin results from a low view of God and a high view of self. Only a proud man has a low view of God and a high view of himself. This is evident in Nathan's rebuke of David. The prophet levels four accusations about David's low view of God's name, God's Word and His reputation. Nothing is metioned of the fruit sin of murder and adultery; the root is addressed - pride.

"Take the axe to the root"

2004/6/21 14:10Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

Quote:
Do you know that even being overly busy is pride-we think we can get along with out taking time for God. We want to do things our way right now.

Very true, moreofhim.

Sadly, I know this and it is something that I need to work on... Making more time with God. I think lots of Christians deal with this. Realizing that their life is not their own to live. We need to put God first before out own plans.

2004/6/21 14:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy