SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : SEMINAR: Jesse Morrell on David Brainerd (1718-1747)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 SEMINAR: Jesse Morrell on David Brainerd (1718-1747)

NOTE there is a 25 person limit for each event.

If you have any questions or comments on this event please ask them in this thread.

NOTE: All seminars are free and have a seating capacity of 25 people. Registerants are based on a first come first serve basis. You must provide a notice 24 hours before cancelling your appearance to this seminar.

You can now Sign-up for Live Seminars with various guest speakers on SermonIndex. The atmosphere of the seminar will be similar to an online classroom model where you can ask questions, raise hand, even if allowed communicate back using audio/video. This will allow many from across the world to hear and benefit meeting various Christian speakers that otherwise would not be possible. Another facet of the Seminars will be to disciple and build up the body of believers that are fellowshiping in the SermonIndex community.
If you have additional questions or comments about the Live Seminar feature please either post them in the SermonIndex.net Support Forum Section or the Contact Us Form. If you are a pastor, speaker, leader and would like to be able to run a seminar please contact us with your information for consideration.

David Brainerd (1718-1747)
Speaker: Jesse Morrell
Date: Tuesday, June 8th
Time: 8:00 pm EST (1 hour)
Description: “Let’s line them up: Payson, Mcheyne, Carey, Edwards, Wesley, men of renown, yet all kindled by one flame, and all debtors to the sickly but supplicating Brainerd.” Leonard Ravenhill. Join us as we study select passages from “The Life and Diary of David Brainerd”

2004/6/2 23:19Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: SEMINAR: Jesse Morrell on David Brainerd (1718-1747)

Here is an image of David Brainerd preaching to the indians and below abit of a preface about his book: "The Life and Diary of David Brainerd"

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/june/davidb.gif[/img]

That this young man was akin to David the Psalmist will be quickly seen once you peek into his diary. He died at the young age of 29, a Christian only 8 years. Yet he left us his diary, and it has inspired untold myriads to war the good warfare since. You will never murmur again about the field of service the Lord has given you, once you share Brainerd’s experiences. Some of his diary entries will thrill you; some will chill you; and all will challenge you to go and do likewise.

Jonathan Edwards wrote this of this young man: “I am persuaded every pious and judicious reader will acknowledge, that what is here set before him is indeed a remarkable instance of true and eminent Christian piety in heart and practice, tending greatly to confirm the reality of vital religion, and the power of godliness, that it is most worthy of imitation, and many ways calculated to promote spiritual benefit of the careful observer” (Preface).

“I saw that the Redeemer’s kingdom is all that is valuable in the earth, and I could not but long for the promotion of it in the world. I saw also that this cause is God’s; that He has an infinitely greater regard and concern for it than I could possibly have; that if I have any true love to this blessed interest, it is only a drop derived from that ocean. Hence I was ready to . . . conclude, ‘Well, if God’s case be so dear and precious to HIM, He will promote it.’ Thus I [rested] on God that He would surely promote that which was so agreeable to His own will; though the time when must be left to His sovereign pleasure.

Who among us today would ride a hundred miles through the woods while suffering from pneumonia to preach to a band of Indians, as did Brainerd. Only if one has the strength of faith that Brainerd had.

An entry: “My attention was greatly engaged, and my soul so drawn forth this day, by what I heard of the ‘exceeding preciousness of the saving grace of God’s Spirit’ that it overcame my body, in it’s weak state. I saw that true grace is exceedingly precious indeed; that it is very rare, and that there is but a very small degree of it even where the reality is found; at least I saw this to be my case.”

2004/6/2 23:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

There is [b]still[/b] room for more registrants for this Live event on SermonIndex that will be taking place tommorow. Signup NOW to secure your spot, I am very much looking forward to hearing Jesse Morrell share his heart on this great men of God. If you missed any prior live seminars you can see the archived audio here: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=331]SI Live Seminars[/url]. NOTE: not all Live seminars have had there audio captured but in all cases now the audio should be captured and posted on the site. Enjoy ;-)

2004/6/7 12:33Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

If you are interested in hearing about David Brainerd there are some sermons on SermonIndex that are about him:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1081]David Brainerd[/url] by John Piper - Piper discusses the short life and theology of David Brainerd. Brainerd was a contemporary of Jonathan Edwards. Edwards was so moved by the life of Brainerd that he wrote a biography of him after Brainerd died. The sermon ends rather abruptly.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3205]David Brainerd - Missionary to the Indians (Famous Saints #2)[/url] by Stephen Hamilton

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3145](Men of whom the World was not Worthy) Brainerd, David Oh that I may never loiter in my heavenly jou [/url] by John Piper

2004/6/8 0:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Heres a short bio on Brainerds life:

He was only 29 when he died...his gravestone simply says, "A faithful and laborious missionary to the Stockbridge, Delaware and Susquehanna tribes of Indians." But in truth David Brainerd's life sacrifice reached out and touched the whole world, challenging more people into Christian service than perhaps any other man that ever lived. The mere mention of the name, Brainerd, automatically triggers the mind to think of dedication in a way that perhaps has never been equaled. He would travel 15,000 miles on horseback. One small compelling book -- David Brainerd's Journal which he kept from June 19, 1745, to June 19, 1746, plus his diaries of his days before and after this time are still used of God today to inspire and convict the Christian world in the matter of Christian service.

David was the sixth of nine children born into the home of Hezekiah and Dorothy (Mason) Brainerd. Details of his childhood are scanty, but he grew up in a country house just above the west bank of the Connecticut River, two miles outside of Haddam. His father was a country squire, a local justice of the peace, and a Christian, as was his mother. His father died when he was nine and the death of his mother in March, 1732 brought additional great grief to 14 year old David, who was by then seeking to find what conversion was all about. From ages 15 to 19 he lived with his sister Jerusha who had just married Samuel Spencer. In April, 1738, he returned to Haddam to live and to study with the pastor of his youth, Phineas Fiske. Brainerd soon became a serious student of the Bible, and ignored the other pleasures in which most young people were participating. Fiske died in the fall, and Brainerd, like Luther, continued desperately seeking peace with God. By February, 1739, he was setting aside whole days of secret fasting and almost incessant prayer as he strove for acceptance with God.

Finally on July 12, 1739, as he returned to his secret place of prayer, God spoke to him as light dawning, and he had a glorious salvation experience. Now he wondered why all the world could not see "this lovely, blessed, and excellent way." He states as he was walking in a dark thick grove, unspeakable glory seemed to open to the view and apprehension of his soul. He was then 21 years of age.

In September, 1739, David entered Yale University. It was a terribly cold winter and a bout with the measles laid him aside that first year. Trying to catch up only caused greater maladies and by August, 1740, he was weak and spitting up blood. Consumption or tuberculosis of the lungs was the plague of colonial New England. He returned to Yale on about November 6, 1740, to see a marked spiritual change in the school. George Whitefield had visited Yale on October 27th, and it seemed a pentecostal flame had hit the school. Gil Tennent of New Jersey had also preached with great power in March of 1740 in New Haven. Brainerd and two other students were soon distinguished for their zeal and visited many other students "for conversation and prayer." On April 19, Ebenezer Pembertson visited Yale and gave a stirring address about missionary work to the Indians. The next day, on his 23rd birthday, Brainerd vowed "to be wholly the Lord's, to be forever devoted to his service."

The Great Awakening was now at its peak, and despite Jonathan Edwards' efforts to keep everything in decency and order, things got out of hand. Tennent had preached his impassioned sermon, The Danger of an Unconverted Ministry, simply reinforcing Whitefield's sentiments. People began to turn against their ministers and hold "separate" meetings.

So as a result, as Brainerd entered his third year at Yale in the fall of 1741, a rule was made, "Voted, that if any student of this College shall directly or indirectly say, that the Rector, either of the Trustees or Tutors are hypocrites, carnal or unconverted men, he shall for the first offense make a public confession in the Hall, and for the second offense be expelled." Soon in a private conversation, when asked what he thought about a certain tutor, David replied, "He has no more grace than this chair." This charge was harsh, and based only on one prayer of the leader, which David called, "unusually pathetical." Actually, the man was quite spiritual. A freshman overheard and reported the conversation. When Brainerd refused to publicly confess this, which he felt was a private matter, he was expelled in February, 1742. Afterwards he sought forgiveness, wrote out a full and complete confession, and had others intercede for him...but to no avail. The authorities would not reinstate him.

On April 20th (24th birthday) Brainerd wrote, "...I hardly ever so longed to live to God and to be altogether devoted to Him; I wanted to wear out my life in his service and for his glory..." He waged a constant fight against the bitterness of his disappointment over his expulsion from Yale. In June he began to spend some days in fasting and prayer. He was at a loss as to what the Lord wanted him to do. On July 29, 1742, he was licensed to preach as a Presbyterian at Danbury, Connecticut. He spent the summer with another young bachelor friend -- Joseph Bellamy. They worshipped and preached in a barn which served as a meeting house for Bellamy's small congregation in Woodbury, Connecticut. Brainerd's first sermon was on July 30th at Southbury, Connecticut, using I Peter 4:8 as his text and his first message to the Indians was soon after, on August 12, near the Connecticut-New York border. He traveled as an itinerant preacher for several months. In September, 1742, he had to leave New Haven quickly for unlawful preaching.

On November 19th, he received a summons from Pemberton of New York City, to come and discuss the question of ministry to the Indians in those parts. On November 25 he met with the commissioners of the Scotch Society. As part of his examination, he delivered a sermon, most probably in Pemberton's church. He was grieved for the congregation, "that they should sit there to hear such a dead dog as I preach." He felt he was totally unworthy to preach to others so much better than himself.

He preached from place to place in the winter, including a farewell sermon to his family and friends in a home in East Haddam on February 1, 1743. He then served as a supply preacher at East Hampton, Long Island, New York for six weeks. On his last Sunday there, March 13th, although he could hardly stand up, he preached for an hour and a half. The congregation pressed him to stay permanently. But the next day, he left for work among the Indians. He said later, "I never, since I began to preach, could feel any freedom to enter into other men's labours and settle down in the ministry where the gospel was preached before." He felt he had to preach where Christ was not named nor known. He left for his life's work March 25, 1743.

He was assigned to Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and arrived there March 31, 1743, and began his ministry the next day. He was stationed 20 miles west between Stockbridge and the Hudson River at a place called Kaunaumeek, 18 miles south east of Albany. Without conversation, or company, he was very lonely even though the Indians were cordial to him. On April 20th (25th birthday) he spent the day fasting alone in the woods in prayer. His diet was hasty-pudding, boiled corn, and bread baked in ashes. His lodging was a heap of straw, laid upon boards in a log room without any floor. He traveled one and one half miles each way daily on foot in order to see the Indians. A Stockbridge Christian became his interpreter and friend. Brainerd learned to pray with the Indians in their language. They translated Psalms and hymns, and started an "English" school. By the first of August he had completed building his hut and had a better place to sleep. But other problems mounted. He had to go or send ten or more miles for bread to eat and it would turn moldy and sour before he could eat all of it. The presence and worldly conversation of some irreligious Dutchmen oppressed him more than all the difficulties of his wilderness life. He made four brief trips to New York during this time, his last one including a stop at New Haven to observe the commencement exercises of September 14, 1743 in which he should have been included. One final attempt to have him reinstated with Jonathan Edwards and Aaron Burr interceding was to no avail. Stopping at Bellamy's he became seriously ill. Recovering sufficiently he returned to his station, Kaunaumeek, on October 4th.

On the day after Christmas, he wrote, "Was very much fatigued with my journey, wherein I underwent great hardships; was very much exposed and very wet by falling into a river." The ordination of a friend, Samuel Hopkins, that week left him depressed as he could not understand the accompanying levity, celebration and food. In January, 1744, he spent the middle of the winter alone in his little hut, yet they were happy hours. On Sunday March 11, he preached his last sermon at Kaunaumeek, as he was now seeking new tribes to win to Christ.

He again received a call to East Hampton, to be the pastor. Suffering weakness and headache, he died inwardly to two attractive calls, writing, "Resolved to go on still with the Indian affair, if divine providence permitted; although I had before felt some inclination to go to East Hampton." His other call to Millington was likewise turned down.

The commissioners instructed him to go to Pennsylvania. He again had a serious sick spell for three days, and went home to Haddam for the first time in 15 months. Now 26 years of age, he left home again. He left Kaunaumeek, April 30.

Spending some days at Salisbury, Connecticut, he left May 7th arriving on May 13th at present day Easton, Pennsylvania, within the forks of the Delaware River.

Brainerd was well received by the Indians and usually taught them in the chief's house. Traveling some 70 miles back to New York, Brainerd was ordained on June 11, 1744, by the Presbytery of New York. On June 19th he left friends and benefactors to seek again God's chosen ones in the remote wilderness.

By the end of the summer some 40 Indians were listening to his message. He was plagued with pain, and had difficulty controlling his legs after long hours on horseback. He also had to cope with Tattamy, his interpreter, who was totally unfamiliar with the white man's Bible. In July a flicker of heart interest by the Indians caused him to work hard preaching and translating. One time he was asking the Lord to take him home. Then he heard the Indians intended to have an idolatrous feast and dance. Desire to live surged back into him as he used his only weapon -- prayer, and the Indians changed their plans.

During this time he lived much of the time with the Hunter family at a place known as Hunter's Settlement. Brainerd was the supply minister to the whites there, along with his ministry to the Indians. The rest of the summer he lay in "illness and uselessness." The first week of August he preached to the Indians twice, although "obligated to sit down the whole time." By September he was somewhat recovered and took a three week vacation. It was a journey of recuperation and pleasure, of visiting home and friends back in New England.

He now had a desire to go westward to reach the Indians on the Susquehanna River. Brainerd, an associate Eliab Bryam, Tattamy and two other Indians left on October 2. His horse fell down and broke her leg, so Brainerd killed her, and continued to the nearest house 30 miles away on foot. The picture of the two young ministers alternately riding their one horse must have been intriguing. They were well received by the Indians, spent a few days there, and then returned the 70 miles where a new horse was given to Brainerd on October 12.

Resuming his life, sick and lonely, alternately cheerful and dejected, he began to build a house for himself with the help of others. Moving into his new quarters he spent December 6 in prayer and fasting, "to implore the blessing of God on myself, on my poor people, on my friends, and on the church of God." Beginning at Christmas he went through a terrible month of despondency. Things brightened up on Sunday, February 17, 1745, when he preached to a group of white people coming from scattered frontier homes to have Communion. He greatly appreciated his friends, both white and Indian, and on March 7 he left them for a five week trip to New England. In March and April, he rode more than 600 miles searching New Jersey, New York and Connecticut to find a companion, and the support for the same. This goal was not realized, for none was, "qualified or disposed for this good work." So he returned alone to the Forks of the Delaware to continue his work. On April 20 (27th birthday) he was at the Abington Presbyterian Church, between Philadelphia and Neshaminy for a three-day ministry.

Weak in body, Brainerd and Tattamy left May 8th for their first major trip to the interior Indians along the Susquehanna River. By passing the original contact they had made the previous October, they reached Shamokin, the headquarters for several tribes of Indians, stopped off at other settlements and returned home, the roundtrip taking 22 days. The 340 mile journey left Brainerd weak and dejected, depressed and disillusioned about the prospects among the Indians in that area. Except for Tattamy and his wife, who both were growing spiritually, he considered his past year almost a failure. He returned May 30.

He then heard about a group of Indians at a place called Crossweeksung (9 miles southeast of Trenton) in New Jersey, about 80 miles southeast of the Forks of Delaware. He arrived June 19, 1745. He spent two weeks there with a good deal of conviction, tears and interest amongst the Indians. Upon his return to the Forks, these Indians also seemed to be much more responsive to his ministry. On July 21 he baptized Tattamy and his wife, his first converts among the Indians. He went back to Crossweeksung and experienced the most glorious week in his life. On August 8 the power of God came down on his little group of 65 as he preached. The sudden and unexpected seizer of the Indians was followed by earnest prayers. Many genuine conversions took place. News traveled, and soon other Indians were coming to hear the young white preacher. Members of the careless white community began to show up also, and get converted. On August 25, he baptized 25 of the Indians and the years of prayer and suffering were beginning to bear some fruit.

He decided to make one last effort to evangelize the Indians along the Susquehanna River and spent the month of September (9-28) attempting this, but with no apparent success. Back at Crossweeksung on October 5, he was overjoyed at the difference to the response of the Gospel. Others were saved and baptized. Christmas had a new meaning to both preacher and hearer, and after two years of barrenness Brainerd rejoiced greatly as he reaped some spiritual fruit.

On January 31, 1746 another milestone was reached -- Brainerd engaged a schoolmaster for the Indians and a dozen primers were passed out. In February he visited his "parish" back at the Forks being "under great weakness and some pain." Some evangelists (Indian converts) from Crossweeksung went with him. He encouraged some of his former friends at the Fork to move to Crossweeksung. Back at this site he had a very ill week in mid-March. He encouraged the Indians to develop spring planting at a settlement at Cranberry, 15 miles distant, which they did. His attempt to colonize the converts as farmers was not successful. There were now about 150 who followed him and his directions. On April 20 (28th birthday) he preached the Easter story from Luke 24 to the Indians. On April 27th another milestone was reached -- the Indians took the Lord's Supper. He settled down at Cranberry on May 3rd, and a place of worship was established known as Bethel. He was tempted to stay here. However back in his heart were the pagan Indians of the Susquehanna River area where he had already failed three times to make any headway.

Finally on August 12, he left his friends at Cranberry and with six Indian evangelists attempted his fourth trip to the Susquehanna River area. He had never gone further west than Shamokin before, but now he desired to go an additional 100 miles to a site near present day Lockhaven, Pennsylvania. He recorded such things as "...sweat much in the night, so that my linen was almost wringing wet all night, was exceedingly weak, so that I could scarcely ride; it seemed sometimes as if I must fall off from my horse, and lie in the open woods..."

This trip finally broke his health completely, and he had to curtail much of it. Many might ask, "why did he go on this journey despite his great weakness and ill health?" He simply could not confine himself to one spot, when so many men were dying without Christ everywhere. Back at Shamokin on September 6, he clung to his life, "coughing and spitting blood." On September 20 he arrived back at Cranberry. Brainerd now realized that the tuberculosis of his lungs was going to destroy his body. He felt somewhat guilty in that he had recklessly injured his health and aggravated his illness. But in reality, his zeal and outdoor life probably prolonged his days, since his problem had started several years prior while at Yale. On October 6, he had his last blessed day at Cranberry, having the Lord's Supper with 40 of his converts and baptizing two adults. His final harvest was now 85 Indians. November 3 was his last day as pastor of his flock in Cranberry. He spent the long winter in Elizabethtown, New Jersey with Jonathan Dickinson. Rallying in health he made one last visit to his Indian converts on March 18-20, 1747, and bid them goodbye for the last time. On April 20 (29th birthday) he spent the day mostly in bed at the Dickinsons. He left for New England the next day, not realizing that his 59 year old host would pass on two days before Brainerd. Brainerd was invited to Jonathan Edwards' house, by probably both the preacher and his 17 year old daughter, Jerusha, whom Brainerd had greatly admired even as a young teen-age girl. He visited his kin-folk at Haddam, (May 1) bidding farewell to his favorite sister, Jerusha Spencer, little realizing that he would get news of her death in two more months. Arriving at the Edwards' home on May 28, he was vastly better and cheerful. David's petition in family prayer was usually "that we might not outlive our usefulness." Jerusha was his nurse for 19 weeks, devoting herself with great delight because she looked on him as an eminent servant of Jesus Christ. He wrote letters signing them, "your dying brother". He took his last horseback ride and prayed with the family for the last time on August 11th. A room on the first floor was set aside for him the following week as he could not climb steps. He went to church for the last time September 2nd. Edwards described his last days -- swollen feet -- constant pain -- discharge of purulent matter -- broken whispers -- agonies of body. His last Sunday, October 4th, he recorded this touching conversation with Jerusha, in appreciation of her constant companionship and love.

"Dear Jerusha...though, if I thought I should not see you, and be happy with you in another world, I could not bear to part with you. But we shall spend a happy eternity together."
On Wednesday he discussed his Indian work with his brother John, who succeeded him at Bethel, and on Friday, October 9, it was all over. His last words were "He will come, and will not tarry. I shall soon be in glory; soon be with God and His angels." He was buried on Monday with Jonathan Edwards conducting the funeral. Four months later, grieving Jerusha, in her 18th year, took sick and in five days, on February 14, 1748, joined David in heaven and was buried next to him.

John Wesley said, "Let every preacher read carefully over the life of David Brainerd," and distributed his life story to all his societies. F. W. Robertson, Ion Keith Falconer, Robert Murray McCheyne, A. J. Gordon, Francis Asbury, Jim Elliott, Thomas Coke, William Carey and Henry Martyn all were motivated to service through Brainerd, amongst others.

2004/6/8 14:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Please note there is [b]still[/b] space for tonights lecture on David Brainerd please register early to secure your spot.

2004/6/8 16:19Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is the text chat transcript of the Live Seminar on David Brainerd that just took place:

---

Meet ASAP
Date: Tue Jun 8 19:42:06 GMT-0400 2004
Click Here for Meeting Details

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
++jphakola ([email protected]) has entered the meeting.

Greg Gordon says:
hi brother jouko

++Kire(Tears_of_joy) has entered the meeting.

jphakola ([email protected]) says:
hello greg can I audio ?

Greg Gordon says:
yes do you have a mic I can give you persmission

yes

Greg Gordon says:
press the start button

okay

[email protected] has entered the meeting.

[email protected] says:
Hello?

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
when should meeting start I dont know when is 8.00 EST?

[email protected] says:
It's about 6 til 8 now.

Greg Gordon says:
its 7:55 EST right now

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
we have 5 min left

[email protected] says:
Okay. Are you sending your video feed yet?

[email protected] says:
Because I am not seeing it.

Greg Gordon says:
Jesse is not here yet

++Jesse Morrell has entered the meeting.

[email protected] says:
Oh! Okay.

Greg Gordon says:
nope I dont have a video or audio connected

Jesse Morrell says:
well this computer worked

Greg Gordon says:
great!

Greg Gordon says:
welcome brother Jesse

Jesse Morrell says:
but i need to call to see if i am allowed to use it

Greg Gordon says:
ok

Greg Gordon says:
does everyone see the slide on the right?

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
yes

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

Jesse Morrell says:
i need to plug in the mic

yes

Greg Gordon says:
ok brother Jesse

Jesse Morrell says:
ok, well now after jumping through the hoops, i'm on

Greg Gordon says:
I think you have to press the start button now Jesse

[email protected] says:
Alright! :)

Jesse Morrell says:
should I start?

++Alex ([email protected]) has entered the meeting.

Greg Gordon says:
I cant hear you.. you will need to start the audio stream first

[email protected] says:
Check!

[email protected] says:
:)

[email protected] says:
I heard it.

Greg Gordon says:
yes we can hear you brother... you might want to boost the level abit

[email protected] says:
We can also adjust the volume on our ends.

Greg Gordon says:
yes :)

[email protected] ([email protected]) has entered the meeting.

Greg Gordon says:
welcome brother

[email protected] ([email protected]) says:
thanks mna

man

Jesse Morrell says:
lets wait a few more minutes for some more people

[email protected] says:
Now, is there any background info that I might have missed for this?

Greg Gordon says:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2146&forum=12

[email protected] says:
Jessee, are you using video on this?

Greg Gordon says:
theres some info on brainerd on that thread

Jesse Morrell says:
i don't have a camera

Jesse Morrell says:
once again

Greg Gordon says:
hey thats better than a camera without a mic

Greg Gordon says:
:P

Jesse Morrell says:
i had to jump through the hoops just to get this computer

Jesse Morrell says:
one minute and counting

[email protected] says:
Okay.

Greg Gordon says:
sorry about your monitor jesse its all part of being in the kingdom

[email protected] says:

Greg Gordon says:
we are in a battle constantly :P

Greg Gordon says:
I was just watching a video of Keith Daniel that I am going to get on the site tonight

Greg Gordon says:
he says we need to enter the battle and thats on our knees

Greg Gordon says:
God commands it.

[email protected] says:
Woah. Is that intentional, Jesse?

Greg Gordon says:
Jesse you are getting back feedback

[email protected] says:
It's pretty creepy. :)

Greg Gordon says:
or something

Greg Gordon says:
yea

[email protected] says:
It sounds like it is very, very slowed down.

Greg Gordon says:
yea big time

[email protected] says:
Hmm. Are you using a high-speed conenction?

Greg Gordon says:
pray

[email protected] says:
Oh! Now it is working.

[email protected] says:
Well...was.

Greg Gordon says:
yes jesse its not working

Greg Gordon says:
hmm

Greg Gordon says:
ok its good now :)

Greg Gordon says:
can everyone hear it?

[email protected] says:
It's going slow again..

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
i dont hear

i can hear a lion

[email protected] says:
I could hear it for a minute there.

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
its like lion

okay

not

[email protected] says:
Greg, is he on a high speed or modem connection?

[email protected] says:
Or do you know?

Greg Gordon says:
dude this is demonic

Greg Gordon says:
pray

Greg Gordon says:

Jesse Morrell says:
this is not working

Jesse Morrell says:
?

Greg Gordon says:
its scary man..

Greg Gordon says:
your fine and then it sounds like a demon :P

Greg Gordon says:
it goes really slow..

[email protected] says:
The audio output is about 1/10th of what it should be.

Jesse Morrell says:
like how my monitor at home bursted into flames at home while i was typing the sermon today

[email protected] says:
So, the wavelength is slowed to sound, well, really gutterel.

[email protected] says:
Then, we really ought to hear this, I expect.

Greg Gordon says:
wow! the devil is trying his best.. this should work on a dial up connection

[email protected] says:
Do you have a manuscript of it? We can read along.

Jesse Morrell says:
i do

[email protected] says:
As you put in little bits of it.

Jesse Morrell says:
i wanted to email it to greg

Jesse Morrell says:
but i can't access my computer since the fire

Jesse Morrell says:
i'm going by my notes

[email protected] says:
Argh. Okay. Man...

Greg Gordon says:
do a few mic checks again

[email protected] says:
YEs.

yes

[email protected] says:
That worked.

Greg Gordon says:
keep talking

[email protected] says:
No.

Jesse Morrell says:
i put microphone only

[email protected] says:
What if we kill the flash movie on the right?

[email protected] says:
Unless it does something.

Jesse Morrell says:
is it still slow?

[email protected] says:
It worked toward the end of your prayer.

Jesse Morrell says:
well thats not good enough

Greg Gordon says:
try it again now.

[email protected] says:
I heard up until "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I pray against the devil."

greg, gotta split. back in a bit.

Greg Gordon says:
If anyone else is broadcasting audio press stop

[email protected] ([email protected]) has left the meeting.

Greg Gordon says:
there is a stop icon on the top right near the faces

[email protected] says:
I am not sending.

[email protected] says:
That is what it says under my "Self View" thing.

[email protected] says:
CHeck!

[email protected] says:
No.

[email protected] says:
I can

okay

Greg Gordon says:
your voice sounds abit lower

[email protected] says:
No, no spooky slow thing.

[email protected] says:
You sound normal.

Greg Gordon says:
its much better

Greg Gordon says:
yes!

[email protected] says:
Yes!

Greg Gordon says:
whew

[email protected] says:

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
now is ok

[email protected] says:
MUCH better.

Greg Gordon says:
75%

Kire(Tears_of_joy) says:
better yes

[email protected] says:
No problems here.

Greg Gordon says:
amen!

[email protected] says:
Good.

Greg Gordon says:
turn down your mic level abit if you can

Greg Gordon says:
but it sounds good

Greg Gordon says:
wow

Greg Gordon says:
amen

Greg Gordon says:
!!

++Mike Balog has entered the meeting.

Greg Gordon says:
brother Mike!

Mike Balog says:
Thanks Greg..for coming to the rescue

Greg Gordon says:

Greg Gordon says:
wow :)

Greg Gordon says:
I want to be arrested :P

Greg Gordon says:
for christ's sake

Mike Balog says:
it won't be long brother!

Mike Balog says:
will come and visit

Greg Gordon says:
hehe.. I like corn

Mike Balog says:
Prayer!

Mike Balog says:
Amen!!

Greg Gordon says:
amen

[email protected] says:
Yes.

Mike Balog says:
Not necessary...

Greg Gordon says:
yea :P hehe

Mike Balog says:
re: Ravenhill

Greg Gordon says:
were biased here oh well

Mike Balog says:
heavily!

Greg Gordon says:
cult?

Greg Gordon says:
nah

Greg Gordon says:

Mike Balog says:
nah

Greg Gordon says:
ravenhillism sounds too much like cannablism

Greg Gordon says:
wont work

Mike Balog says:

Mike Balog says:
exactely

Mike Balog says:
!!

Greg Gordon says:
yes

Mike Balog says:
faithful vs succesful

Mike Balog says:
like that

Mike Balog says:
unction?

[email protected] says:
Because he spent the time in prayer first...asking God to bring conviction, right?

Mike Balog says:
yes

Mike Balog says:
which produces...unction

Greg Gordon says:
slaying (quite different then modern day charismatic usuage)

[email protected] says:

Mike Balog says:
:)!!

Greg Gordon says:
wow acts 2

Greg Gordon says:
ohh ic

Mike Balog says:
cut to the heart

Greg Gordon says:
wow

Mike Balog says:
by The Holy Spirit..

Greg Gordon says:
WOW!

Greg Gordon says:
God would work .. amazing

Greg Gordon says:
yes!!!

[email protected] says:
Hmm.

Greg Gordon says:
amen

Mike Balog says:
Wesley's...was it, that did the same?

Mike Balog says:
posponing baptism

Greg Gordon says:
!!

+++Kire(Tears_of_joy) has left the meeting.

[email protected] says:
...Did Brainard suggest that there were any indication of true religion?

Greg Gordon says:
ohh yes definetly

[email protected] says:
I should like to hear those. :)

Greg Gordon says:
but he didnt base it on the way the other christian indians did

[email protected] says:
*nod*

[email protected] says:
Contrition, then? And the desire for holiness (like, they who hunger and thirst for righteousness)?

Mike Balog says:
!!!

Greg Gordon says:
amen!

Mike Balog says:
Yep, Yep!

[email protected] says:
So..those who are deluded into thinking they are Christian, but are truly self-righteous?

[email protected] says:
That is who he is talking about?

Mike Balog says:
easy-believism

[email protected] says:
They think they will get a good feeling, but aren't concerned over their sin?

Mike Balog says:
yes

[email protected] says:
Then...more like, "wrong-believeism." :)

Mike Balog says:
Better!!

Mike Balog says:
wow...

[email protected] says:
Hmm.

Mike Balog says:
as the Lord leads

Greg Gordon says:
man he was testing razor blades!

Mike Balog says:
Gods work

Mike Balog says:
Yes!

++chad sepulveda ([email protected]) has entered the meeting.

Mike Balog says:
hi Chad

Greg Gordon says:
welcome brother chad

chad sepulveda ([email protected]) says:
hello there..i'm late

Mike Balog says:
!!!!

Mike Balog says:
Excellent quote

Greg Gordon says:
8 years!

++chanin has entered the meeting.

Mike Balog says:
Hey Chanin

Greg Gordon says:
welcome sister chanin :)

chanin says:
hi :)

[email protected] says:
How would you (or Brainard) suggest we nurture those passions?

Mike Balog says:
Pray!!!

Greg Gordon says:
amen thank you brother Jesse

Mike Balog says:
Thanks Brother!!

Mike Balog says:
Outstanding

chanin says:
I like your voice :)

[email protected] says:
No Q&A session this time? :)

Jesse Morrell says:
yea, it was a bit bumpier then i wanted it to be since i was going by notes

Jesse Morrell says:
but it was ok

Jesse Morrell says:
yea time for q and a

[email protected] says:
Okay. :)

[email protected] says:
I have a question, that I really don't know the answer to:

[email protected] says:
So, Brainard presched to the Indians (Native Americans), right

[email protected] says:
?

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

Greg Gordon says:
you can do audio for q and a if you want jesse

[email protected] says:
Well...how did that work out in the long run?

Jesse Morrell says:
well he saw a great number converted

[email protected] says:
I mean...I really only know about the Native American casinos...I don't know about (m)any Native American CHristians.

Jesse Morrell says:
but since he died so young, his church needed another Pastor

Alex ([email protected]) says:
Thank you for the seminar, sorry I cannot stay any longer for the discussion, but it is late over here in the UK. Goodnight.

Jesse Morrell says:
his brother took over

Greg Gordon says:
bye alex :)

[email protected] says:
Bye, Alex!

Mike Balog says:
by Alex

Jesse Morrell says:
wlel I am a Native America

Jesse Morrell says:
partly

+++Alex ([email protected]) has left the meeting.

Jesse Morrell says:
i am also 7 other things

[email protected] says:
*smile* Most of us in the US are.

[email protected] says:
Partly Native American, I mean.

Jesse Morrell says:
well his church was Pastored by his brother when he died

[email protected] says:
But...The converts that he saw...did they go on to be like Brainard? Or leave for foreign lands, or what?

[email protected] says:
Or do you know? It's okay if not.

Jesse Morrell says:
well since I was going by his diary, it doesn't record

[email protected] says:
Okay. :)

Jesse Morrell says:
Brainerd upruptly stoped writing

Mike Balog says:
good question though Jerry

[email protected] says:
Really? When?

[email protected] says:
Like, right before his death?

Jesse Morrell says:
towards the end :)

[email protected] says:
Okay.

Greg Gordon says:
lol

Greg Gordon says:
yea he died

[email protected] says:
I suppose that makes sense.

Jesse Morrell says:
when he got severely sick

Jesse Morrell says:
but in his day, he knew nothing of backsliders

Greg Gordon says:
duncan campbell says the same of hte hebrides revival

Jesse Morrell says:
i know,

Jesse Morrell says:
there were alot of parelles

Greg Gordon says:
they knew virtually nothing of backsliders :)

Jesse Morrell says:
duncan campbell said it was also entirely supernatural

Greg Gordon says:
ohh that we might see it again!!

Jesse Morrell says:
there are counterfiets in our day that say God is doing a "new" thing

Jesse Morrell says:
but God doesn't seem to work like that

[email protected] says:
Well...I have another question. Did Brainerd's diary explain what he thought were true marks of repentance?

[email protected] says:
I wasn't entirely sure what he said, if anything, on that topic.

[email protected] says:
I am a bit hard of hearing.

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

Jesse Morrell says:
it was in a passage i read, let me find it

[email protected] says:
OK. Thanks!

[email protected] says:
I think you said something about contrition or brokenness over sin.

Jesse Morrell says:
let me type it

[email protected] says:
(I.e., godly sorrow that leads to repentance.)

[email protected] says:
Ok.

Jesse Morrell says:
"Lords Day, May 24, (At Long Meadow In Springfield). Could not but think, as I have often remarked to others, that much more of true religion consists in deep humility, brokenness of heart, and an abasing sense of barrenness and want of grace and hiliness than most who are called Chrsitians imagine; especially those who have been esteeemed the converts of the late day. Many seem to know of no other religion but elevated joys and affections, arising only from some flights of imagination, or some

Jesse Morrell says:
suggestion made to their mind, of Christ being theirs, God loving them, and the like."

[email protected] says:
Hmm.

Mike Balog says:
And that was then...

Jesse Morrell says:
I know!

Greg Gordon says:

wow

Jesse Morrell says:
oh the pain he would have if he saw today

Mike Balog says:
probably would be preaching terror!!!

Greg Gordon says:
lol!! exactly

Greg Gordon says:
bit time

Greg Gordon says:
*big

Jesse Morrell says:
He preached terror in his day

Jesse Morrell says:
i think modern preaching would be a terror to him

[email protected] says:
So...My apparant lack of joy is only percieved because of what others say I should have, and my serious woe over my own lack of faithfulness is no cause for alarm?

Mike Balog says:
Huh?

Jesse Morrell says:
jerry, that may or may not be true

[email protected] says:
Okay.

Jesse Morrell says:
you should certainly have the joy of the Lord

[email protected] says:
I ask, because I personally have felt more woe as I have prayed, more than joy, for a while now.

Mike Balog says:
know that brother

Jesse Morrell says:
but much of the "joy" others talk about has nothing to do with that

[email protected] says:
Well..what does that look like, in conjunction with this sense of desperation that Brainerd experienced?

Mike Balog says:
underlying joy

Jesse Morrell says:
Well Christ Himself was a man of sorrow

Mike Balog says:
and of joy

Jesse Morrell says:
certainly

[email protected] says:
Yes.

Mike Balog says:
peace that surpasses

Jesse Morrell says:
You should rejoice in Christ, but mourn for sin

Mike Balog says:
not as the world

Jesse Morrell says:
some churches promote being HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Mike Balog says:
only!

Jesse Morrell says:
exactly

Mike Balog says:
and always

[email protected] says:
Hmm. I looked up "joy" in Greek in Galatians 5:22...

Jesse Morrell says:
There is a time for joy, and a time for sorrow

[email protected] says:
It's chara, or "calm delight."

Mike Balog says:
"times of refreshing"

chanin says:
alot of believer's joy is DENIAL

Mike Balog says:
!!!!

Jesse Morrell says:
much may be a front all together

Jesse Morrell says:
but jerry, i personally would need more info to give you an accurate answer

may I sneak in a question here?

[email protected] says:
Hmm. But do you think that it might make sense for there to be a several-year-long period that is characterized more by sorrow, than joy? Because America is in a bad way currently.

chanin says:
i think there are seasons

[email protected] says:
Yeah, sorry. I didn;t man to monopolize!

[email protected] says:
Er, mean.

Mike Balog says:
Go ahead Chad

Greg Gordon says:
man im in sorrow

ahh, no problem at all!! ;)

Greg Gordon says:
over the situation of the church

Jesse Morrell says:
I can't help but to go through "depressions" because of the moral state of our day

Greg Gordon says:
amen

Jesse Morrell says:
and there is something radically wrong if a person can be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY when everything is so SINFUL SINFUL SINFUL

[email protected] says:
*nod*

[email protected] says:
*laugh & nod*

Greg Gordon says:
watch it jerry

Greg Gordon says:
dont be too happy :P

Greg Gordon says:
jks

Jesse Morrell says:
haha

[email protected] says:
*laughing again*

chanin says:
i had two years of sorrow and strain but now I am in a different season- not that I don't still get upset over the state of the church but my focus is different

do you have any ideas as to what it was that motivated brainerd to pray as he did? his prayer life and intimacy are almost unparalleled... do you have any insight as to what got him there and kept him there??

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

Greg Gordon says:
yes God does bring us through different seasons chanin. :)

Jesse Morrell says:
He had an eternal perspective

Greg Gordon says:
hopefully monthly and not yearly

Greg Gordon says:
a year can be a long time :P

yes, yes

Jesse Morrell says:
he said that everything in this lower world looked vile and little compared to eternal rewards

Greg Gordon says:
ETERNITY!

Greg Gordon says:

Mike Balog says:
(Chanin...me too)

chanin says:
it was a long two years!

Greg Gordon says:
hehe

+++jphakola ([email protected]) has left the meeting.

Mike Balog says:
seems it was many many years

Greg Gordon says:
im on year 2 also

Mike Balog says:
just in the last few weeks actually

Jesse Morrell says:
he once quoted ps 17:15 that says "I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness" and then added "but never, never before"

Jesse Morrell says:
i'm out of the loop

Greg Gordon says:
wow

Mike Balog says:
after really hitting a real difficult wall

Jesse Morrell says:
whats been two long years

Greg Gordon says:
state of sorrow over the church a season of it.

it would almost seem that his living conditions out in the wilderness of new england and his infrequent contact with anyone outside of the Holy Spirit helped him develop this reality

chanin says:
wilderness- i know that all too well

Jesse Morrell says:
he had a huge prayer life before his time of isolation and even before his conversion

ahh really?

Mike Balog says:
anguish "Dark night of the Soul"...night(s)

Greg Gordon says:
lol yea

chanin says:
yep- had that too

Jesse Morrell says:
besides an eternal perspective, he saw what God deserves. Listen to this quote :

[email protected] says:
Then...how ought we correct those preachers and people who encourage us to entangle ourselves with the affairs of this world? I assume I am not the only one in here who, when I suggest that we live separated lives as Christians, that other Christians say that we should not be so intemperate.

[email protected] says:
(Sorry!)

Jesse Morrell says:
"Oh, when we have done all that we can, to all eternity, we shall not be able to offer the ten thousdandth part of the homage that the glorious God deserves!"

whew...

does anyone else sense feel that brainerd was in another realm that we must move into by God's grace?

Jesse Morrell says:
yes, in my church people confuse being social with having fellowship

Mike Balog says:
"We should not be so intemperate"

Jesse Morrell says:
alot of what people call fellowship is nothing more then doing the same social activities as the world

Mike Balog says:
back on to the broad road...

Jesse Morrell says:
he certainly lived in eternity, and would come down to tell his indians about it

[email protected] says:
Yes...how do you respond? People only get angry with me when I try to suggest that we live for Christ, and not for fun.

Mike Balog says:
Pray for them...

[email protected] says:
And I would be fine with that, were it not for my lingering suspicion that perhaps I have not presented my case as Christ would have.

[email protected] says:
His statements stopped the mouths of men.

Jesse Morrell says:
i would tell people this:

Jesse Morrell says:
when I get to the Judgment Seat, I fear the record of the time I had wasted, and not God telling me I should have had more fun"

chanin says:
i have come to the conclusion that we cannot tell anyone anything- or convince them of anything- only prayer and our own life as an example

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

Mike Balog says:
live it!

chanin says:
exactly!

[email protected] says:
But the preacher of ecclesiastes still sought out good words.

Greg Gordon says:
yes we must stillpreach words

Greg Gordon says:
but only words that we have applied to our heart and lives

Mike Balog says:
Something that Chanin manages very well to hammer home on the forum is that we need to spend time alone with Him.

Greg Gordon says:
not words that are death to the hearer

chanin says:
yes, but the ears don't hear unless the holy spirit opens them

Mike Balog says:
And I tell you there is no greater thing we can do than that

Greg Gordon says:
but if we speak full of God.. then things happen. I believe that.

[email protected] says:
Yet I must study how to answer.

Mike Balog says:
if we are going to have any kind of witness whatsoever

[email protected] says:
(I think you guys are all right, don't get me wrong!)

[email protected] says:
(I just want to make my case as clear as possible to those who would accuse or disagree.)

chanin says:
i have tried many times to say it with words- but it hasn't worked until the Lord has gotten them ready Himself

[email protected] says:
(And in so doing, hopefully use God's words to bring thier concience to bear on the situation.)

Greg Gordon says:
yes we cant all just stop speaking for God

Mike Balog says:
no doubt, but do we not have to many that should be silent?

[email protected] says:
Alas, my tact is lacking. :) I often say, "While others are on their way to hell, I find it difficult to play and relax and ignore their cries that extend from judgment day."

[email protected] says:
That doesn't go over so well.

[email protected] says:
So I appreciate what you suggesteed, Jessee.

[email protected] says:

Mike Balog says:
sorry, think i missed part of that conversation

Jesse Morrell says:
what did I suggest

Jesse Morrell says:
when?

[email protected] says:
That I mention the judgment seat to those who are believers.

Jesse Morrell says:
yes

[email protected] says:
And bring their conscience to bear upon that event.

Mike Balog says:
boy it can get confussing real quick

chanin says:
Jesus is the best example we could use for preaching the gospel

Jesse Morrell says:
heres two more quotes of Brainerd on this topic

Greg Gordon says:
paul the apostle wasnt that shabby :P

Greg Gordon says:
prince of preachers wasnt spurgeon but paul

Greg Gordon says:

Jesse Morrell says:
"Oh, I love to live on the brink of eternity, in my views and meditations! This gives me a sweet, awful, and reverential sense and apprehension of God and divine things, when I see myself as it were standing before the judgment seat of Christ

chanin says:
true and he was so humble and meek too

Greg Gordon says:
you are going to have to watch the video sermon of Keith Daniel chanin you will love it :) im getting it up tonight

Mike Balog says:
Prtaise Go Greg!

chanin says:
k

Mike Balog says:
d

Greg Gordon says:
wow thats a great quote

Mike Balog says:
GOD

Jesse Morrell says:
"Truly there is nothing that I greatly value in this lower world."

Greg Gordon says:
Go greg! :P lol

Mike Balog says:

Jesse Morrell says:
yea i can't give anyone a text book answer as to how to convince others to spend their time more wisely

Greg Gordon says:
those quotes are amazing jesse

[email protected] says:
Still, I like to hear what others may have said.

Jesse Morrell says:
it's too easy to find good quotes of brainerd

Jesse Morrell says:
his diary is a great quote

Greg Gordon says:
I am going to get them out of the conversation and list them in the thread so others can meditate on them more.

Jesse Morrell says:
tell people "I need to be about my Fathers business"

Mike Balog says:
Love that brother

Jesse Morrell says:
when i first became a christian almost four years ago, my mother believe it or not told me not to read the bible so much

Jesse Morrell says:
but to read other books

Mike Balog says:
been in John alot lately

Jesse Morrell says:
I was reading John today

Jesse Morrell says:
my favorite

Greg Gordon says:
wow did you follow her advice?

Jesse Morrell says:
NO

[email protected] says:

Jesse Morrell says:
a thousand times NO

Mike Balog says:
Me too, Jesse!

Jesse Morrell says:
i read the bible now more then ever

Greg Gordon says:
LOL

Jesse Morrell says:
and, unfortinately I have to admit, she apparently does not

++EdEn ([email protected]) has entered the meeting.

Jesse Morrell says:
More often then not, people will tell you to calm down in your walk, if you are convicting their hearts by your life

[email protected] says:
Hmm.

Greg Gordon says:
amen

Mike Balog says:
Check!

Jesse Morrell says:
i hate to say it, but it's true

Mike Balog says:
"Fanatic!"

Greg Gordon says:
all the dwarfs will sneer at you and say you tryed to be more religious then the rest of us.. huh ! - ravenhill

chanin says:
oh it gets much worse!

Jesse Morrell says:
it's true

[email protected] says:
Well...Do you guys have wives, or help of much sort, nearby you?

Mike Balog says:
beat me to the punch....

Jesse Morrell says:
and if you try to go by the bible you are called legalistic

Greg Gordon says:
lol

Jesse Morrell says:
but when we get to eternity, it will reveal who had the proper values and who did not

Mike Balog says:
Yes, and no ...

Greg Gordon says:
single as could be. me and the Lord.

chanin says:
i am a wife

[email protected] says:
*laugh*

chanin says:

[email protected] says:
Sorry, Chanin.

Jesse Morrell says:
bachelor till the rapture

Jesse Morrell says:
jk

[email protected] says:
Hmm. I assume Brainerd was the same?

Greg Gordon says:
:) chanin is an awesome wife im praying for one like her ! who knows the Lord is gracious

Jesse Morrell says:
hahaha

Jesse Morrell says:
nice

Greg Gordon says:
chanin you are a great godly example ! :)

Mike Balog says:
Indeed!

Greg Gordon says:
proverbs 25 ?

chanin says:
your family will turn on you- i knew it was coming and it stabbed me in the heart

chanin says:
prov 31

Jesse Morrell says:
?

Greg Gordon says:
31:10-31

[email protected] says:
Hmm.

chanin says:
the family thing- i meant about about people thinkin gyou are a fanatic

[email protected] says:
Right.

chanin says:
woops!

Greg Gordon says:
yes its happening to me

[email protected] says:
I know. :)

Jesse Morrell says:
I read in John again today how his own family thought he was out of his mind and did not believe him

Mike Balog says:
Just have to keep loving them

Jesse Morrell says:
theres not much room in time for those who want to live in eternity

chanin says:
my own mother disowned me last year

[email protected] says:
I just often get discouraged, and think that I must need a wife or some help nearby to help...because so many others tell me to calm down.

Mike Balog says:
really?

Greg Gordon says:
"theres not much room in time for those who want to live in eternity" !!!!!!!!

[email protected] says:
Wow.

Jesse Morrell says:
i made that one up myself

Jesse Morrell says:

[email protected] says:
I am sorry to hear that, Chanin.

chanin says:
all you need is Christ!

Jesse Morrell says:
i am also

Greg Gordon says:
I like it jesse

Greg Gordon says:
might use it at the topof sermonindex :P

Jesse Morrell says:
please feel free

Jesse Morrell says:
you can put anonymous if you like

Mike Balog says:
Chanin, is this still ongoing..?

chanin says:
yes

Jesse Morrell says:
is your family catholic?

Jesse Morrell says:
or jewish?

chanin says:
no saved christians

Jesse Morrell says:
oh

Mike Balog says:
Will be praying sister

Jesse Morrell says:
then how come?

Meeting Owner: Greg Gordon
Current Attendees: Jesse Morrell, Oladapo Oguntoyinbo, Jimmy Humphrey, Kire(Tears_of_joy), [email protected], Alex ([email protected]), Daniel Foster ([email protected]), EdEn ([email protected]), Glenn ([email protected]), Jerrod: At Windermere for the summer, Email me! ([email protected]), jphakola ([email protected]), [email protected] ([email protected]), Mike Balog, chanin, chad sepulveda ([email protected])
Entered Meeting At: 2004-6-8 7:42:06 PM
File Saved at: 2004-6-8 9:44:04 PM

2004/6/8 21:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

You can download the audio of the Live Seminar if you missed it here:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4223]David Brainerd (1718-1747) with Jesse Morrell[/url] - “Let’s line them up: Payson, Mcheyne, Carey, Edwards, Wesley, men of renown, yet all kindled by one flame, and all debtors to the sickly but supplicating Brainerd.” Leonard Ravenhill. Join us as we study select passages from “The Life and Diary of David Brainerd”

2004/6/8 23:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here are the notes from the Live Seminar below:

---

David Brainerd

Hebrews Chapter 11 is the hall of fame for Christians. It is tremendously moving to read about the possibilities of faith. The men listed in the hall of fame overcame remarkably huge obstacles for the glory of God by faith. Faith can move mountains and dry up rivers. Faith weakens the devil and strengthens the Christians. Faith is what makes a hero. That’s why they are commonly called the Heroes of Hebrews.

I am sure you all know who Abraham was, as well as Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. Hebrews also lists men like Gideon, Samson, Moses, Samuel, and others. There are names in which we all know. There is however a hero of the faith that you might not know about. His name is David Brainerd. Although he is not one of the Heroes of Hebrews, he is certainly one of the Heroes of Heaven. Leonard Ravenhill listed some of those who have been touched by the life of David Brainerd in his book, Why Revival Tarries. Ravenhill said “Let’s line them up: Payson, McCheyne, Carey, Edwards, Wesley, men of renown, yet all kindled by one flame, and all debtors to the sickly but supplicating Brainerd.” Let’s now take a look at the inspiring life of this man.

David Brainerd was born April 20th, 1718 at Haddam, a town of Hartford, Connecticut. At that time Hartford was a county not a city. It really was awesome for me to read Brainerd’s diary because I currently live in the same area where he lived. He was the third son of his parents. All together his parents had five sons and four daughters. I know of at least 3 of their sons that went into the ministry, including David Brainerd.

The work of the Spirit of God was clearly seen in the early life of Brainerd in order to bring about his conversion. Listen to this account by Brainerd himself about his childhood. “Though I daily longed for greater conviction of sin, supposing that I must see more of my dreadful state in order to receive a remedy; yet when the discoveries of my vile, hellish heart were made to me, the sight was so dreadful and showed me plainly my exposedness to damnation that I could not endure it.” The Spirit of God was making the proper preparations for Brainerd’s true conversion. If you yourself have had a real conversion, then you know the pains of such a birth. Just as physical birth is painful, spiritual birth is painful.

In another passage of his life and diary, Brainerd records this: “Sometimes I grew remiss and sluggish, without any great convictions of sin, for a considerable time altogether; but after such a season, convictions seized me more violently. One night I remember in particular, when I was walking solitarily abroad, I had open to me such a view of my sin that I feared the ground would cleave asunder under my feet and become my grave; and would send my soul quick alive into hell before I could get home.”

Now that’s incredible! He literally feared that the ground would open up and cast him into hell before he could even get home. There were nights when he would force himself to try to sleep but couldn’t because of great fear of impending wrath. But then he says he would return to a “state of carnal security.”

It was July 12th, 1739 during a time of prayer in a thick grove that Brainerd had an encounter with God that changed his entire life. He received a new view of God that he never had before. A God that was wonderful and admirable. A God that was awesome and excellent. He said that way of salvation opened up to him with such infinite wisdom, suitableness, and excellency, that he wondered why he had never complied with the way of salvation before.

That was the end of his false security and the beginning of a true right standing with God. You will never convince others of their sinfulness if you are not first convinced of your own. It’s no wonder a revival amongst the Indians came through him, a personal revival first occurred in his own life. I heard that D.L. Moody took a piece of chalk once and drew a circle around himself. He then prayed “Lord start a revival within this circle.” Before Brainerd revived anybody, God first revived him.

Shortly after Brainerd’s experience with God, he started attending Yale in New Haven. As a side note, I have personally had the privilege of preaching open air at the green right next to Yale. It’s really a blessing to me to have seen these places first hand. He was however a little reluctant of going to Yale fearing he would not lead a life of strict religion in the midst of so many temptations. If Brainerd were alive today and saw the moral bankruptcy of Yale students now, he would probably not go anywhere near the place. I’ve seen first hand how those students do the unthinkable and yet think nothing of it. But in his day he chose to go despite the “many temptations.”

Even during his college days he had a strong devotional life. That is what he is known for, his prayer life. During this time Brainerd writes “Oh! One hour with God infinitely exceeds all the pleasures and delights of this lower world.” If Brainerd truly believed this, that an hour spent with God is better then anything at all, then his chief focus in life would be his devotional life. And it certainly was. He set aside days to secret prayer and fasting. His diary records more of his prayers then anything else. What we sow in time we will reap in eternity, and what we sow in eternity we will reap in time. I believe that if Brainerd was told he was not allowed to pray, he would have asked to be killed because he valued his prayer life more then anything else.

In Brainerd third year of college, he was expelled. In the situation Brainerd felt he was mistreated. The spring after his expulsion he went to live with the Rev Mills of Ripton in order to study for the ministry. During this time he frequently went and visited neighboring ministers such as Mr. Cooke of Stratford, Mr. Graham of Southbury, and Mr. Bellamy of Bethlehem.

During this time of preparation he grew greatly spiritually. He writes how the thoughts of suffering hardships, distresses, and even death itself in order to preach the gospel gave him a sweet joy. He was willing even to be banishment from his own native land if God willed it. He said “I felt weaned from the world and from my own reputation amongst men, willing to be despised and to be a gazing stock for the world to see.”

The Lord is able to use men like this. Men who are willing to submit to the plan of God no matter how painful that plan may be. Leonard Ravenhill said “God is looking for nobodies. God is looking for dead men. God is looking for men who don’t want to be esteemed or thought about but will live solely to God.” It is only that kind of man that God is able to use and that is preciously the type of man Brainerd was. In his eyes, everything in the world was vile and little. The only thing of important was Christ.

During this time of growing, his desire was to be more holy and more like Christ. His continual longing was for sanctification. To serve the Lord fully, you must be cut off from the world fully.

This is a poem I found in his diary. It does not say who the author is. I assume that this is Brainerd’s poem.

“Farewell, vain world; my soul can bid Adieu,
My Savior taught me to abandon you.
Your charms may gratify a sensual mind,
Not please a soul wholly for God’s design.
Forbear to entice, cease then my soul to call:
Tis fixed through grace; my God shall be my ALL.
While He thus let’s me heavenly glories view,
Your Beauties fade, my heart’s no room for you.”

Monday, July 19th, 1742 Brainerd writes “My desires seem especially to be carried out after weaned ness from the world, perfect deadness to it, and to be even crucified to all its allurements. My soul longs to feel itself more of a pilgrim and stranger here below; that nothing may divert me from pressing through the lonely desert, till I arrive at my Father’s house.”

During this time Brainerd also learned humility. He said “I never felt it so sweet to be nothing, and less then nothing, and to be accounted nothing.” The humility in Brainerd life was the key to his ministry. Jesus promises us that if we humble ourselves, then he will exalt us. I believe the only reason the name David Brainerd is so exalted among men today, is because he humbled himself among men in his day. Proverbs 15:33 says “before honor is humility.” He even referred to himself in his diary as a dead dog and he pitied those who had to hear him preach. He wrote “if God’s people knew me, as God knows, they would not think so highly of my zeal and resolution for God, as perhaps now they do! I could not but desire they should see how heartless and irresolute I was, that they might be undeceived and “not think of me above what they ought to think.” And yet, I thought, if they saw the utmost of my flatness and unfaithfulness, the smallness of my courage and resolution for God, they would not be ready to shut me out of their doors as unworthy of the company or friendship of Christians.” May we all learn from his humility and honesty of heart. If a man with a prayer life like his, a passion and a heart like his, and a ministry of revival like his can be humble, then how much more so should we be?

It was Thursday, July 29th 1742 that He was examined by The Association of Ministers of the Eastern District of Fairfield County, Conn. They granted him a license to preach the gospel so he began preaching in Churches.

There was one passage in his diary that I wish I had more of an explanation on. It was Monday, September 6th, 1742. It says “Was informed that they only waited for an opportunity to apprehend me for preaching at New Haven Lately, that so they might imprison me. This made me more solemn and serious, and to quit all hopes of the world’s friendship.” And that’s all that it says. The only explanation he gives as to why they want to imprison him was for preaching but there are no details. That passage actually brought me some comfort because I myself have had four threats of arrest in New Haven for preaching the gospel. Nothing is new that is under the sun. They actually did arrest me in Hartford which is Brainerd’s birth place.

April 1, 1743 Brainerd rode on horse back to Kaunaumeek where the Indians lived in whom he was to be a missionary. His time at Kaunaumeek was hard. He had only one person there who could speak English and no fellow Christian. His diet was boiled corn and hasty pudding etc. He slept on a bundle of straw. And many of the people there, as far as he could tell, hated him because he came to preach. He spent most of his time in prayer and study. If I could tell every missionary only one thing it would be that 90% of their labor should be in prayer, and 10% should be in preaching. It is the private prayers of the Saints and not the public ministries of the showmen that truly deliver souls from death.

He also would ride into civilization on occasion to see people. He was grieved when he did so because he would see the “vanity of the multitude”. He would enjoy conversations with other Christians but admits that most of the time he would rather have been alone. If I could compare Brainerd to someone from the bible, it would have to be Enoch. Enoch walked with God and not with a sinful world. As Ravenhill (whom you have to forgive me for quoting so much) said “Enoch didn’t even walk with Noah.” From what I can tell from Brainerd’s diary, he did nothing at all besides pray, fast, study, write, preach, and whatever physical labor was required of him. If there was any time wasted in his life then it wasn’t much.

After Brainerd labored a full year to the Kaunaumeek Indians, they became few in number. Brainerd felt his energies might be more effective else where. The Commissioners granted his request to be transferred and so he went to minister to the Delaware Indians. He was ordained and sent to the Indians at Crossweeksung where he had his most remarkable success.

During this time he would travel on horse back to minister to other Indians. He was in danger of wolves as well as freezing to death when he sometimes would get lost and had to spend all night in the woods alone. He writes “I was afraid of nothing but sin, and afraid of that in every action and thought.” His travels were even harder due to the fact that he was often terribly sick.

The Focus of his preaching he said was to “set before sinners their sin and danger.” He did this with compassion and tender affection with the help of God. Those preachers, who warn others on the coming destruction, are the preachers who don’t want others to be destroyed. There are some in our own day that accuse the preachers that preach strongly against sin and strongly about hell as being harsh or unloving. The truth of the matter is that it is the exact opposite. Brainerd preached against sin and about hell because of his great love for souls. God so loved the world that He sent His only Son so that none should perish. So the focus of our preaching must be so that none should perish.

He also said “I was satisfied if not one of the Indians should be profited by my preaching but should all be damned, yet I should be accepted and rewarded as faithful.” He was concerned about being faithful with the gospel, not successful as we would say. Too many preachers set out to be “successful” and if they don’t get X amount of people at an alter they feel they failed. Or because they had X amount of people at the altar, then they must be somebody. There is nothing farther from the truth. Jeremiah for example won absolutely zero converts but yet, I guarantee you, was more faithful then these fancy preachers we see on TV.

However, Brainerd was remarkably successful. A great deal of the Indians would be in tears when hearing him preach. After only speaking a few words about their souls, tear would flow freely among them producing many sobs and many groans. On one occasion there were no more then three Indians in forty that could refrain from tears and bitter cries. They would be in great distress for their souls that some could neither leave the meeting nor stand to their feet but would lay on the ground as through someone had pierced their hearts, crying out incessantly for mercy.

While John Wesley was slaying the England with the word of God, George Whitefield was slaying American colonist with the word of God, and at the same time David Brainerd was slaying the Indians with the word of God. August 8th, 1745, in the afternoon he preached to the Indians. Afterwards when he spoke individually with those who were obviously awakened and concerned for their souls, in his own words “the power of God seemed to descend upon the assembly ‘like rushing mighty wind’ and with an astonishing energy bore down all before it.” The Indians were not “merely frightened” he said “but were made sensible of their danger, the badness of their hearts, and their misery without Christ.” People would be afraid “of the anger of God” and would fall helplessly to the ground. One lady stayed there on the ground many hours and would answer no one who tried to talk with her. They would cry out in anguish of soul, Brainerd said, “Although I spoke not a word of terror.”

This revival had nothing to do with words of terror. He did not cause them to cry out for mercy, God caused them to cry out for mercy. The work was entirely supernatural that he could hardly believe God used him as an instrument or his words to carry on the work. It seems not to have any connection with him at all. He wrote “God appeared to work entirely alone.” Even after he would withdraw from the meeting because of exhaustion the Indians would stay and pray for a few hours even without him there.

To finalize the conversion of the Indians Brainerd would perform baptisms. However He would put off the baptisms many weeks in order to see the evidence of them having had great change. He would then be able to observe their fruits and to make sure he was not doing as the Puritans would say, “Plucking unripe fruit”. One of the greatest evidences that they truly had repented would be that they had stopped getting drunk.

Tuesday, September 9th 1746 Brainerd writes “Rode down the river near thirty miles. Was extremely weak, much fatigued, and wet with a thunderstorm. Discoursed with some warmth and closeness to some poor ignorant souls on the life and power of religion; what were, and what were not, the evidences of it. They seemed much astonished when they saw my Indians ask a blessing and give thanks at dinner; concluding that a very high evidence of grace in them; but were astonished when I insisted that neither that, nor yet secret prayer, was any sure evidence of grace. Oh, the ignorance of the world! How are some empty outward forms, that ay all be entirely selfish, mistaken for true religion, infallible evidence of it! The Lord pity a deluded world!”

Lord’s Day, May 24. Brainerd writes about true religion. “Could not but think, as I have often remarked to others, that much more of true religion consists in deep humility, brokenness of heart, and an abasing sense of barrenness and want of grace and holiness than most who are called Christians imagine; especially those who have been esteemed the converts of the late day. Many seem to know of no other religion but elevated joys and affections, arising only from some flights of imagination, or some suggestion made to their mind, of Christ being theirs, God loving them, and the like.”

In another place he wrote “Especially, I discoursed repeatedly on the nature and necessity of that humiliation, self-emptiness, or full conviction of a person’s being utterly undone in himself, which is necessary in order to a saving faith, and the extreme difficulty of being brought to this; and the great danger there is of persons taking up with some self-righteous appearance of it. The danger of this I especially dwelt upon, being persuaded that multitudes perish in this hidden way; and because so little is said from most pulpits to discover any danger here; so that persons being never effectually brought to die in themselves are never truly united to Christ, and so perish.”

At one point Brainerd said that none of those whom he baptized disgraced their profession of Christianity by any ungodly actions or behavior. He was saying he knew of no backsliders at that point.

Of course He received great discouragement from some of the white folks in that area. They would tell him that the Indians were just fine as they were and didn’t need to have this big fuss over Christianity. That is a lie Christian missionaries still hear about heathen today. Others even lied to the Indians saying that Brainerd planned on selling them as slaves to England.

There were a great deal of incidences that I would be willing to preach about when souls were awakened and God manifested His presence, but now I would rather point out two keys which I believe made Brainerd successful.

Brainerd wrote what he thought was the chief cause of the most powerful awakening among the Indians. He wrote: “Nor have I ever seen so general an awakening in any assembly in my life as appeared here, while I was opening and insisting upon the Parable of the Great Supper, Luke 14. In which discourse I was enabled to set before my hearers the unsearchable riches of gospel-grace. Not that I would be understood here that I never instructed the Indians respecting their fallen state, and the sinfulness and misery of it; for this was what I at first chiefly insisted upon with them and endeavored to repeat and inculcate in almost every discourse, knowing that without this foundation I should but build upon the sand; and that it would be in vain to invite them to Christ, unless I could convince them of their need of Him, Mark 2:17. But still, this great awakening, this surprising concern, was never excited by any harangues of terror, but always appeared most remarkable when I insisted upon the compassions of a dying Savior, the plentiful provisions of the gospel, and the free offers of divine grace to the needy distressed sinners. Now would I be understood to insinuate that such a religious concern might justly be suspected as not being genuine, and from a divine influence, because produced by the preaching of terror; for this is perhaps God’s more usual way of awakening sinners, and appears entirely agreeable to Scripture and sound reason. But what I meant here to observe is that God saw fit to employ and bless milder means for the effectual awakening of these Indians, and thereby obviated the fore mentioned objection which the world might otherwise have had a more plausible color of making.” That was what caused the greatest awakening Brainerd saw in his ministry. Not the truth of the terrors of God, but the compassion of a dying Savior. I realized recently that even a razor is not sharp on all sides. Neither should our preaching be.

The second key to his success I found in his diary, Thursday August 28, 1746. He said “Scarce ever saw more clearly, than this day, that it is God’s work to convert souls, and especially poor heathens. I knew I could not touch them; I saw I could only speak to dry bones, but could give them no sense of what I said. My eyes were up to God for help. I could say the work was His, and if done, the glory would be His.” The reason Brainerd won so many souls was because he prayed for many souls, the reason he prayed for many souls was because he knew the only thing that truly won souls was the power of God. It was not his hand leading the Indians to Christ but The Fathers hand. The glory of these revivals does not belong to Brainerd but to our most excellent and wonderful God!

If we apply these two principals to modern Christianity, then I see no reason we can’t see a revival. If we teach men both the terrors of the Law and the compassion of Christ, if we rely solely on the power of God and His hand and His Spirit, then we can reap a harvest in our own day. If sinners must be damned I pray that they have to swim through the rivers of our tears to get there. So long as sins are sending souls to hell, our hearts should send tears to our eyes. It is far easier to complain that souls are going to hell then it is to have compassion on the souls that are going to hell. Brainerd did not complain he had compassion.

David Brainerd died in October 1747 in the house of Jonathon Edwards. Although Brainerd was a Christian only 8 years of his life, I fear he was more prepared for eternity then some who have been Christians for decades. If we can learn only one thing before we ourselves die, I pray that it be obedience. It’s not a matter of getting knowledge, anyone can get knowledge. It’s a matter of applying it. That is what not everybody does. Until we have God we must long after God. We don’t have God. We don’t long after God and that’s why we don’t have God. Brainerd longed for God so He had God. May we seek after the hand of God as Brainerd had, may we seek after the face of God as Brainerd had, and may we seek after the glory of God as Brainerd had.

2004/6/10 23:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy