SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mormons

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
firstfruit

Mormons

I learned at my workplace a recently hired young woman is a new convert to Latter Day Saints.

I have been praying for her, but have not yet had an good opportune time to speak with her. Our bosses' son, who is a Christian was able to sit down with her one day with a Bible and discuss salvation, nature of God, etc.. with her. A few days later a Mormon missionary showed up to talk and try converting him to Mormonism!

Has anyone on this forum dealt with Mormons and the doctrines? I have been reading about Joseph Smith and the teachings of Mormon church.
What are some important points I should know when speaking with my co-worker?

It's distressing to read of the manner Mormon teaching has "piggy backed" on Biblical terms; i.e. "another Jesus, another gospel".

I would appreciate anyone's advice on best way to reach this young lady with the truth about our Lord and His salvation. I asked her one day if she had been raised in Mormon Church. She said she had gone to Methodist and Lutheran churches, but something was missing. She wondered why so many denominations and that now she has found 'true church.'

Thanks for all responses and prayers!

2007/12/27 20:16Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Mormons

I cannot really help you with their doctrine, for I try not to allow that nonsense into my mind or house. But I do try to show them the truth when talking to them. I have found that (in my dealings at least), no ammount of debate will get one of these folks to convert, only prayer and the revelation of the truth of scripture is all to be used.

One thing that the Spirit always reveals to me when talking to Mormons and JW is to ask them a personal and direct question. The question is:

"When you pray, what does the Lord say to you?" I usually follow it up by asking some follow up questions related to the first question.

What I find out is that so far, every single Mormon or JW that I have spoken to cannot answer this question out right. For the most part, this question stumps them, makes them stop and think about it, and try to come up with an answer for it. They usually come back with "well, the elders of the church...", so I re ask them. "When the Lord speaks to you in the secret place, what does He say to you? What does the Lord tell you about Himself?" By this time they usually try to hand me a tract/bible/junk and pray with me.

I have also found that they will not let you pray with them unless you pray their prayer. I asked them if I could pray for them and they gave a very blunt "no". Try praying with her to the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. Consult the Lord before you do this and let Him show you the way to go.

Many blessings on talking with her. I pray for wisdom and revelation to come upon you and that the Lord would speak through you during this time.

2007/12/27 20:42Profile

Quote:
I would appreciate anyone's advice on best way to reach this young lady with the truth about our Lord and His salvation. I asked her one day if she had been raised in Mormon Church. She said she had gone to Methodist and Lutheran churches, but something was missing. She wondered why so many denominations and that now she has found 'true church.'

Always be in two's, always have your Bible, and when giving the Gospel, do it when you pray...that way they cannot interrupt.

Get very familiar with Hebrews, about the Deity of Christ, that Jesus is not Satan's brother etc.

Granny Geer was B. Young's granddaughter. She married a Baptist minister, and become saved, and oh my, what a testimony. She has a book hopefully you can order and read.

There are the Tanners who live in Salt Lake City, who were Mormons, quite elderly now, that have a web site to get info. Their e-mail will be there too and Sandra Tanner is great about getting back with you.

These people are abused when they convert, so they need a strong support group if and when they do convert.

The second person needed is needed to pray, so find a prayer warrior as you witness.

God Bless
Katy-Did

2007/12/27 20:56
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

One of the Mormon and Jws' favorite questions is, If Jesus Was God, who was ruling heaven if God was on the earth, and if He was God and was killed How could God die.

They put God in their own box and elders will pounce when anyone trys let Him out and especially when anyone trys to set their charge
free from Mormon and JW authority.

They will use the scriptures against anyone that tries to set one of theirs free in Christ. If you want to understand and turn their rhetoric against the satanic hold on them. Read the Maze of Mormonism, by Walter Martin. He also has great ammunition for the J.W.s' and all Cults.

http://www.waltermartin.org/cults.html

In Christ: Phillip

2007/12/27 23:54Profile
davym

firstfruit

Be very careful when dealing with cults. You're probably best not debating with them. If you do you need to make sure you know your Bible. I'm of the opinion that very few Christians today know their Bible the way they should. This allows these cults to grow and become more powerful because God's people are not equipping themselves to do God's work.

A good way of thinking of the position Mormon missionaries are in is this - Satan has them on a kind of railway track of thinking. They're brainwashed by very sophisticated techniques. Our job is to try and get them off the track. But remember if a train is going to New York, we can't get it to go to Miami. It would take a miracle and that's why we must depend on the Holy Spirit. We'll not debate them off the track.

Keep pressing on with Christ

D

2007/12/28 5:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy