Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Must watch Video

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Thank's Mike! I shall listen to the message suggested. However Ive heard at least 20 sermons of Mr Washer and Im not yet convinced.

I do agree concerning Leonard Ravenhill. The first time I heard him I too thought he was a bit judgemental. However, I pretty soon discovered his passion and warmth behind the words and his emphasis on prayer aswell as the Spirit behind the preaching (God was with him - no doubt about that).

This have not yet been the feeling concerning Mr Washer (It might be though, in time).

Southern gospel preachers like the late Adrian Rogers preaches pretty much the same message as Mr Washer but with a different tone: urging but loving - harsh but pleading and with a genuine love for people (even backsliders) that could not be mistaken while it emerges from the person and the body-language and the appearance in general.

Too often Mr Washer makes judgemental commentaries concerning people spiritual status even though God himself is the only one who knows the spiritual status of a man.

Important for today's Christians given the nature of Christianity and the expansion of the false gospels among which liberalism and liberal-theology and the prosperity preaching is evident; - is to be aware of that the pharisaic style of preaching is growing aswell. One shall always be on the guard against pharisaism while it is as dangerous as the antinomism which it tries to refute.

So: Law and grace should be the ingredients in all preaching (both, not either-or).

Sincerely Magnus
:-D

2007/12/19 8:40Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: So: Law and grace should be the ingredients in all preaching (both, not either-or).

Brother, perhaps we may need to consider the audience to which Brother Paul is preaching… most of whom or at the very least many of whom have been fed the line, the lie... that “grace” most definitely means license. It is very difficult to preach “both” when the exclusive side has been “grace=live like the flesh, the devil and the world dictates because once upon a time you prayed the sinner’s prayer”.

This is not just a defense of Paul Washer, but a defense for any and all those who would dare take the most unpopular stand that can be taken in this country as to dare suggest that there is such a thing as judgment for sin, and ‘it does make a difference how you live’. One of the most uphill battles in this country (at least where I live) is bringing men and women and youth to the concept that God is Holy and Righteous and that there is truly going to be a judgment…

There is a very clear confusion between Santa and the Savior… and I am not just talking about thinking Jesus died to give us all presents… So little concept of the necessity that teaching in
Psalms 97:10 (NASB) 10 Hate evil, you who love the LORD, Who preserves the souls of His godly ones; He delivers them from the hand of the wicked.

Final word on the subject (sounds like my pastor’s 30 minute closing :-( ) as I said on another thread, it is impossible to say it all in one message or even in a series of messages…. Especially when there is so much that needs “unsaying”.

God bless,

Clint

2007/12/19 13:40Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Thank you Clint for your clarification!

I do agree with you about the fact of using Grace as an argument for continual sinning. However it, does not change the fact that a good preaching always (if it should be a relevant preaching for all the different categories of people who attend a sunday service: sinners aswell as saints) must contain law and gospel/grace.

In his book "Concerning Priesthood" John Chrystosomos explains the preachers task: as to hit the sheep with the rod (the law) but not leave them wounded but also to bandage (grace) or else he will destroy the flock.

I think the above still stands today. Legalism is a deadly poision aswell as antinomism. Again it is not either-or but both.

Sincerely Magnus ;-)

2007/12/19 14:03Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re: Washer is great!!!

Ok! I give up, Ive just listened to a message about the Beautitudes - and Mr Washer proves to be (from his perspective) quite tender and meek.

Ive guess I have been exposed to too much strawberry-like-preaching over the recent years that Ive forgotten about the reality of the holiness of God.

Sincerely Magnus :-D

2007/12/21 13:50Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

This one is right up there with his sermon on Practical Holiness! I've watched this several times and never tire of it.

2008/1/21 23:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy