SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Poll: More Americans Believe in Devil than Darwin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Poll: More Americans Believe in Devil than Darwin

Poll: More Americans Believe in Devil than Darwin

More Americans believe in a literal hell and the devil than in Darwin’s theory of evolution, a new poll found.

Mon, Dec. 03, 2007 Posted: 06:56:28 AM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Americans believe in a literal hell and the devil than in Darwin’s theory of evolution, a new poll found.

Over half of Americans, 62 percent, believe in hell and the devil compared to only 42 percent of those surveyed who said they believe in Darwin’s theory, according to the findings of the recently released Harris poll.

The poll of 2,455 U.S. adults, taken Nov. 7-13, found that 82 percent of respondents believe in God, according to Reuters. It further showed that 79 percent believe in miracles, 75 percent in heaven, and 72 percent of Americans believe that Jesus Christ is God or the Son of God.

Yet Christians are far from a homogenous group and a break-up of respondents based on Christian traditions shows discrepancies in their level of belief.

Born-again Christians, for example, are more likely to believe in miracles (95 percent) as compared to Catholics (87 percent) and Protestants (89 percent), according to the poll.

On the other hand, only 16 percent of born-again Christians believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution compared to 43 percent of Catholics and 30 percent of Protestants.

Interestingly, more born-again Christians – a term usually referring to evangelical Protestants – believe in witches (37 percent) than mainline Protestants or Catholics, both at 32 percent, according to Reuters.

The poll results, which were released last Thursday, show the high level of religiosity in the United States. It also helps explain the strong effort to teach the “intelligent design” theory in U.S. public schools alongside evolution. Intelligent design contends that life is too complex to have evolved by chance, but rather requires an intelligent being to design it.

Ethan Cole
Christian Post Reporter

[url=http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071203/30307_Poll%3A__More_Americans_Believe_in_Devil_than_Darwin.htm]source of article[/url]

Just thought this was interesting...

2007/12/13 10:47Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Poll: More Americans Believe in Devil than Darwin

It is an intresting article.

It also shows how mixed up people are about what they believe, sort of like anything goes.

With all the so called man-made 'hate crimes' in America, it's a wonder they could even do the poll.

Thanks for the info.

God bless.

2007/12/13 11:25Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
It also shows how mixed up people are about what they believe, sort of like anything goes.

yes, that is very sad. There is no such thing as "TRUTH" today. Everything is relative...

2007/12/13 11:48Profile

Re: Poll: More Americans Believe in Devil than Darwin

What I find most interesting about this article is that it distinguishes between "born-again Christians" and Protestants. I cringe whenever I am referred to as a Protestant. I know today that just means you're not Catholic, but back in the day the whole reason that name came about was that the Reformers were protesting against the Catholic Church... or coming out of her.

The faith I hold to was never part of the Catholic Church and didnt need to come out of her, therefore I am not protesting the RCC. I believe the Bible, and all thru history from the day the Holy Spirit arrived in the upper room there have always been Bible believing, Spirit filled believers... and they have always been there and were never a part of Rome.

Thats my spiritual lineage. I am not Protestant, and I think it's great that this article and this poll made that distinction.

Krispy

2007/12/13 11:57
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

funny, my mom always said we were Protestant. I always that that just meant Non Catholic before I realized how many churches were Non Catholic.... But then I attend a Pentecostal church...this can be confusing. I will just stick with born again Christian.

2007/12/13 13:15Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I think that if we all go back far enough we will find ourselves inextricably linked to a specific protestation of the RCC. It doesn't have to be by someone you know; it could be by the century-dead founders (and those who influenced them) of the denomination you're in, or by someone who influenced your great, great, great grandfather. Some of us would have to go [i]real[/i] far back - hundreds of years, perhaps - but the connection would be there, either by our ancestors openly aligning themselves with a protestant fellowship or by secretly dislodging from and evading RCC hegemony through underground assemblies.

The truth is, if your ancestors are of Western European stock and had even the faintest smattering of spirituality, they would have had to at least one time crossed swords with RCC doctrine. It matters not if they were Anabaptist or followers of Zwingli or Calvin or whomever. Roman Catholicism, at her apex, dominated the entire free world. If you wanted to worship God independantly and in spirit and truth, you did so at your own peril, and under the fires of persecution.

So, I would argue by virtue of the very heritage we have today, all of us are influenced (either directly or indirectly) by the product of a conscious break or deliberate evasion by someone from the RCC in the past.

Brother Paul

2007/12/13 14:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy