SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting from words.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Fasting from words.

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips [i]is[/i] wise."

- Proverbs chapter 10 verse 19(KJV)

Have been thinking about this tonight and meditating on silence. Wanted to pass it along.

2007/12/12 23:44Profile
dohzman

Re: Fasting from words.

Your title sounds like Joshua and the children of Israel marching around Jerico in silence. :-) :-( :-D

2007/12/13 2:42Profile

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips [i]is[/i] wise."

- Proverbs chapter 10 verse 19(KJV)

Have been thinking about this tonight and meditating on silence. Wanted to pass it along.

If only I could...

2007/12/13 3:19
Spitfire

Re: talking

Yes, holding one's tongue. I have fasted from talking on more than one occasion. I remember the first time I did it. I was mad at my husband. I felt that he didn't regard what I said anyway, so I would show him how he needed to listen. It backfired. I began to see something in myself that I didn't like. Hmmmm.

Another scripture comes to mind, "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." Proverbs 17:28

One thing I've realized about myself, I'm full of pride. When I humble myself, I have alot less to say. When we are prideful, we think people [i]need[/i] to hear what we have to say. I've said this on here before, but we don't need to speak of our own opinions. That won't help anyone. If we are going to speak, it should be what God says. Love, Dian.

2007/12/13 6:34Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

This reminded me of the Gerhard Du Toit interview that Greg posted here recently. In that interview Gerhard talks about some black African men that taught him about prayer. He said that to them, fasting meant spending time in God's presence, worshipping Him in silence, letting God do all the talking. Apparently they would do this for days.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/12/13 8:10Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

InTheLight wrote:
This reminded me of the Gerhard Du Toit interview that Greg posted here recently. In that interview Gerhard talks about some black African men that taught him about prayer. He said that to them, fasting meant spending time in God's presence, worshipping Him in silence, letting God do all the talking. Apparently they would do this for days.

In Christ,

Ron

Can someone tell me where I can find that interview, I would love to hear it or read it if it is an article. Thanks

2007/12/13 8:27Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Fasting from words

Here is the post with accompanying links brother;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=21048&forum=16&post_id=&refresh=Go]Gerhard Du Toit Radio Interview[/url]

2007/12/13 8:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thank you for this thread and the link to the Gerhard Du Toit interview. Very timely!

I've been pondering Dave Wilkerson's testimony -- where he gave up ministry (through a 'sabatical') for one year in order to receive read direction from God. It all started with Leonard Ravenhill giving Brother Wilkerson the book [i]A Christian in Complete Armour[/i] by William Gurnall. As the Lord molded David Wilkerson, he went from being an incredibly popular and fascinating "gang preacher" who would fill up stadiums and auditoriums through his [i]Cross and the Switchblade[/i] testimonies -- to a man who was receiving fewer invites for preaching what he truly believed to be true. Eventually, he quit the status quo. He gave away his ministry headquarters in Texas to YWAM (included on the [i]Holy Ground[/i] message found on SermonIndex). Next, he took a year off from ministry to shut himself off from ministry in order to truly hear the voice of God. During this time, he wrote the book [i]Set the Trumpet to thy Mouth[/i] -- which oddly enough, came as a result of being silent for a year. Eventually, he moved back to New York and became the preacher we all know today.

I've longed to experience a time in which I could completely stray from the cares of this life and focus for weeks on God's voice (without the distraction of my own voice or the words of others). Yes, I still fast and pray. But I long for the time in which this whole world becomes foreign to me that the primary language that I can understand is that of the Lord.

I have a friend who owns a ranch. In the past, he told me of his plans to open a free retreat for lonely ministers seeking a fresh word from God. There would be nothing for this minister but shelter, security and silence. It sounds like a wonderful experience!

:-)

2007/12/13 10:39Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Wow. God in awesome ways. I have been prayng about another extended fast in the future and a fast from words came to mind last week.

What a wonderful God we have.

2007/12/13 10:51Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Friends,

appreciate you all and I was blessed by the radio interview. Wanted to post a qoute from it but haven't gotten around to it.

Spitfire shared this...

"When I humble myself, I have alot less to say."

Have posted this verse several times. I hope it will be alright once more...

[b][color=660000]He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.[/color][/b]

- John chapter 7 verse 18(KJV)

Think this is connected here...

[b][color=660000]Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. [/color][/b]

- John chapter 14 verse 10(KJV)

[i]...the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works[/i]

2007/12/22 17:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy