SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Can't be a Christian and a biologist?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Can't be a Christian and a biologist?

Hope no-one minds resurrecting this thread. I don't look at the news section very often.

I have an honors degree in Zoology/Botany, and the more I read up on new scientific discoveries the more they confirm my belief that the book of Genesis is a true record of historical events.

Not that i need confirmation, because God is more reliable than the minds He created - especially the ones who refuse to believe in Him!

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/28 17:58

Re:

Quote:

bubbaguy wrote:

if this Christian biologist doesn't believe in evolution then he also doesn't believe in gene migration or other events that can change some of the basic nature of an animal.

biology is about the interaction of genetic material with its environment. it is a field constantly changing and evolving. if you cannot accept the fact that it is changing, you shouldn't be a biologist.

Bub, I think a lot of you, but can't understand why you keep on trotting out these rather silly statements, seeming to think they are arguments for Evolution, and against the Bible!

All they really show is that you know very little about science!

Recently you tried to use the fact that some plants are poisonous to disprove the accuracy of the Biblical account of Creation. I was sorry the thread was locked, before I even read it, because there is a simple explanation (at least simple if you had any real understanding of Biology).

Many poisons are harmless - or even beneficial - in small amounts. And many harmless and edible plants contain tiny amounts of poison. For example, peaches, and almonds contain cyanide!

What would happen if the plant stepped up its cyanide production; which a change in environment, or perhaps a very slight mutation could easily bring about? Many plants produce [i]more[/i] of particular chemicals when under stress, such as drought, or being eaten by animals, to protect themselves. In a perfect world, as first created, they would have no need, but surely the Lord would have already given them the [i]potential[/i] to do this, knowing what would happen.

Quote:
biology is about the interaction of genetic material with its environment. it is a field constantly changing and evolving. if you cannot accept the fact that it is changing, you shouldn't be a biologist.

[i]Of course[/i] living things are constantly changing! But the kinds of changes seen in nature are [i]not[/i] the same as Evolution, and cannot, even in tens of billions of years, supply the mechanism for evolution to take place!

Quote:
if this Christian biologist doesn't believe in evolution then he also doesn't believe in gene migration or other events that can change some of the basic nature of an animal.

Gene migration, mutations, reduplication, transposition etc are merely changes in genetic material that [i]already exists[/i]. And there is no evidence that even "some" of an organism's basic nature could be changed by these mechanisms!

Speciation and adaptive radiation also occur naturally or through man's breeding programmes. They are not and cannot lead to Evolution!

I suspect the "survival of the fittest" began soon after the Fall, or certainly after the Flood

But that can [i]not[/i] produce evolution, only (mostly gradual) degeneration in the gene pool (the genetic variety available to a population of plants or animals), and accumulation of genetic faults due to inbreeding.

Which is the exact opposite of what is needed for Evolution to take place.

This can be seen happening and is one reason why creatures become extinct. In no way is it Evolution.

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/28 18:42

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy