SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : MEMORY LOSS

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

MEMORY LOSS

I have a question to ask, and should I get any replies, I would like scripture to show your position, because right now, it's scripture that is lacking in this situation.

There is a sister in the Lord who collapsed at work, was admitted to hospital, operated on for the blot clot in her brain, was in a coma for 4 months after the operation, and finally came out of the coma.

She has now encountered memory loss. She has gone back in time to the days when she was first saved.

She thinks of me as single, even though I've been married 20 years.

My question, is she or is she not still saved?

She is now in care, because she was her mother's carer, but since everything has happened, she has to be taken care of herself.

Where does she stand spiritually? I don't know if she is able to attend church, but there is a sister who does visit her.

I also think of people who have Alzheimer's, or have suffered a stroke, like one man I knew.

He used to evangelise, had a heart for souls, but sadly suffered a stroke.

His wife was an unbeliever. As time went by, and we went to visit him, he would be using foul language, because she would deliberately cause trouble to get him to swear.

It was heartbreaking, especially since we knew what he was like before.

So, using scripture, where do these people stand?

Sorry to post such a long thread, but I needed to.

Thanks for your help.

God bless.

2007/12/10 11:24Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: MEMORY LOSS

I'm a little confused. Do you think that if someone has a stroke or a major "mind" illness they may not be saved or are in sin?

2007/12/10 12:29Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Since Salvation is by grace through faith;
it is God's doing. It does not change with
our state of mind. The question should be:
Does she still know Jesus as God's Son?? 8-)

2007/12/10 13:26Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

You said: “There is a sister in the Lord…”

If she “was” a sister in the Lord, the only thing that would change that would be a “conscious” departure from the faith. He (the Lord) is the Judge of all the earth that WILL do right.

Genesis 18:25 (KJV) 25That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Deuteronomy 32:4 (KJV) 4He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Job 8:3 (KJV) 3Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?

This is an area where I have certainly had plenty of experience. My wife died of Huntington’s, my oldest daughter has it and I have custody of her three youngest children, the youngest of which has Cerebral Palsy, and my oldest son has Huntington’s. My oldest grandson got cancer when he was 8 and died before his thirteenth birthday and my mother died of Alzheimer’s.… but as someone said and many of us have repeated it over and over again, “GOD IS GOOD AND THE DEVIL IS BAD, AND DON’T EVER GET THE TWO OF THEM MIXED UP”.

All of those are conditions affect the mind. Sin is not something passive. It is an act of the will. Certainly none of us are qualified to judge (I know I am not) the difference between acts of the will and those actions caused by dementia or disease. I have certainly had to struggle up close and personal with those issues… but the consolation and comfort that I have received from God regarding those things is the abiding assurance that God has far more love than any of us can manufacture and He is far more just than any of us can or ever will be.

We are in a world of sin and thank God Jesus did not sit in the heaven’s just watching it all. He came down. And the scene of death and suffering and grief and sorrow were not clinically watched by Him. Jesus wept.

Clint

2007/12/10 16:13Profile
nowhr2hide

Australia

Hi
memory loss is just a medical and physical result of trauma to the a patient/person that happen to them, due of this it affect parts of the brain cell and shut down like a "broken light bulb", it's the spirit man of a person knows God and how a person become aware of the spiritual realm whether good or evil.

I work in dementia unit at the nursing home.
I'd like to share a couple of testimony that just recently happen a dementia patient that had no recollection of the present and information or instruction given to him he would not recognise, he is aggresive, violent, foul mouth, and utterly rude. I pray about it how to deal with him, inspiration came in mind and spirit is to sing worship and hymms to God while caring for him, "praises calm the spirit man" that is about 2 weeks ago now, other staff telling me i'm crazy he would'nt understand what i'm saying, but i told them i am not talking to him i'm reffering to his spirit that responce to God and Holy Spirit. Now this became a testimony to every one in the nursing home and became part of his care plan. It doesn't matter if she may seems not recieving what you saying but her spirit does. Only just of this little act of praise to God brings joy to their soul and spirit " He is near to those broken and contrite in spirit". Tonight a nurse came to me a said " you are right singing hymms makes him happy and i feel good myslef i feel happy and sad because i want feel more close to God, I want to follow what you believe about God". God work in a mysterious way and we don't need to try to understand it let Him explain it to us in His time.

2007/12/11 10:07Profile
JoeGrey

South Africa

I am reminded of something another believer said to me once and maybe it is not the answer you were looking for, but perhaps it could help? He said the following:
"If something has gone wrong and you have not sinned - Nothing has gone wrong. But if something has gone wrong and you sin, then everything has gone wrong!"

There is much truth in this advice, but I want to add that we can always go to the Blood of Christ even though everything has gone wrong.

Job was a man of God and everything went wrong for him humanly speaking, even those around him started questioning him and didn't his own wife say that he must deny or curse God? Yet Job said "even though he slay me yet will I trust Him" Job 13:15

God will never test us above what we can bear.

Pray and support your friend! "We are obliged to be Christ to our neighbor" (Luther) and read Matthew 25:35-43

May God help me to live these words!

2007/12/11 15:39Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Enid and nowhr2hide,

"...it's the spirit man of a person knows God..."

This is what I thought about also when reading about this. And two passages that I could think of were Hebrews 12:23 and 1Corinthians 5:5, though they may not apply here? I don't at all want to suggest I have the answers here but what you said is what I thought of also.

Chris

2007/12/11 18:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy