SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Heb 13:5 Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said,

"I will never fail you.
I will never forsake you."
Heb 13:6 That is why we can say with confidence,

"The Lord is my helper,
so I will not be afraid.
What can mere mortals do to me?"

THE first duty the Christian who has drawn near to God in Christ has to learn is, what his relation is to his fellow-men, how his life is to be one of love. The second concerns his relation to the world and its goods. The outer world surrounds him on every side, he is in contact with it every moment. With a never-ceasing solicitation it asks his care, his interest, his affections. It tempts him with its offer of pleasure and its threat of pain; it comes to him holding life and death in its hand. The world, which was meant to be transparent with the light of God's presence and goodness, has, since sin blinded man's eyes, become the veil that hides God from him. One of the first things the Christian, who is running the race, must watch most carefully, is the power that the world has, with its lawful needs and interests and pleasures, to become the weight that keeps him back, and too often cause the loss of the prize.

In money we have the concrete embodiment of all that the possessions of the world can offer. And so in the love of money we have the very spirit of the world. Our text says: Be ye free from the love of money. The temptation comes so unobserved, both to the rich man who has money, and to him who is still seeking for it. The tempter comes like a very angel of light. In money itself there is no sin. Is it not one of God's good gifts? May not the possession of it be the proof of honest labour and diligence and forethought, of self-denial and wise economy; a token of God's blessing on our work; a power to help others and benefit society. Is not poverty frequently a sign of sloth and sin? Is not money one great means for attaining God's purpose, that man should bring the whole world into subjection to himself?
Scripture knows and teaches all this. And yet it raises its voice aloud and cries: Beware of covetousness.

The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil (1Ti_6:9-10, 1Ti_6:16, 1Ti_6:17, 1Ti_6:18). So insidious is the approach and entrance of this sin, so many and specious are the arguments by which it can be cloaked and made to wear the garments of the truest virtue, that the Christian, to whom prosperity comes, needs ever to be on his guard. It is only the man who truly seeks first the kingdom of God, who longs after the utmost conformity to the Master, and seeks to be taught by Himself what and how to own, who holds all He has, not in name but in actual practice, at the disposal of Jesus, who will escape the snare. Be content with such things as ye have. Here is the safety of the Christian. Study well the Master's teaching in the Sermon on the Mount; learn from His Spirit in thee to breathe its spirit. Let the treasure in heaven, the being rich in God and in good works, let the blessedness of living in the love and the will of God, in the heavenly riches of a holy character, and a life of Christlike beneficence, fill the heart, and we shall be content in any lot, and shall in contentment find our safeguard against anxious care or love of money.

For Himself hath said, I will in no wise fail thee, nor in any wise forsake thee. Yes, when God is the portion of the soul, it may well be content with what it has of earth. It is the consciousness of the favour and nearness of God that makes the soul rise above all that the world can offer. To lead the truly Christian life, the life of faith amid daily duties and daily care, we need the presence of God as our better and abiding possession. Our earthly and our heavenly life are more closely linked than we know. Too much of interest in or attachment to earthly things inevitably weakens our hold on God. True fellowship with God at once brings us into the right relation to earthly things. Let our faith study and feed on the promise: Himself hath said, I will in no wise leave thee, nor in any wise forsake thee. The faith that clings to its fulfilment will overcome the world.

So that with good courage we say, The Lord is my helper; I shall not fear: what shall man do unto me? God's promise ever claims an answer. Here the answer is given us with which our hearts ought to respond to His I will in no wise leave thee; with good courage we say, the Lord is my helper, I shall not fear. Let us speak the words loud out, and repeat them until we feel that they are ours. Whether it be in temporal need, or in our many spiritual requirements, we are often tempted to faint and fear. A promise of God, such as we have here, is meant for the hour of trial. Everything may at times appear very dark; we cry and no answer comes; it almost looks as if God had forgotten us. Let, in the fulness of faith, the voice of the cloud of witnesses, all bidding us be of good courage and to wait patiently, enter our hearts, and let us say: Himself hath said, I will in no wise leave thee. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope that it waver not, for He is faithful that promised, and boldly say, The Lord is my helper, I will not fear.

Free from the love of money, content with what he has, holding fast what Himself has said, and with good courage answering, The Lord is my helper, such is the life which the man who has entered the Holiest is able to live amid the cares and needs of daily life.

1. The promise--I will in nowise leave thee was first given to Jacob, then to Joshua, and again to Solomon, and afterwards to Israel. It teaches us how every premise of the Old Testament may be appropriated by us. We in our daily life are to God of as deep interest as these on whom of old the working out of His purpose depended. The abiding, uninterrupted presence of God is our one great need in daily life. It is the one great blessing which in Christ is made doubly clear and sure.

2. Himself hath said: So that we say. As we listen to and repeat what God the Everlasting has said, we shall know what to say in response, and say it with good courage.

3. Be content: the power that conquers the love of money, and opens the heart for the faith in God's promise and abiding presence.

2008/1/23 17:20Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

NLT

Mar 7:17-23[i] Then Jesus went into a house to get away from the crowds, and his disciples asked him what he meant by the statement he had made."Don't you understand either?" he asked. "Can't you see that what you eat won't defile you? Food doesn't come in contact with your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then comes out again." (By saying this, he showed that every kind of food is acceptable.) And then he added, "It is the thought-life that defiles you. For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, eagerness for lustful pleasure, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness.All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you and make you unacceptable to God."[/i]

2008/1/23 17:25Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

[b]Real Pleasure[/b]

Psa 16:1 A psalm of David.

Keep me safe, O God,
for I have come to you for refuge.
Psa 16:2
I said to the LORD, "You are my Master!
All the good things I have are from you."
Psa 16:3
The godly people in the land
are my true heroes!
I take pleasure in them!
Psa 16:4
Those who chase after other gods will be filled with sorrow.
I will not take part in their sacrifices
or even speak the names of their gods.
Psa 16:5
LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
Psa 16:6
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!
Psa 16:7
I will bless the LORD who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
Psa 16:8
I know the LORD is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
Psa 16:9
No wonder my heart is filled with joy,
and my mouth shouts his praises!
My body rests in safety.
Psa 16:10
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your godly one to rot in the grave.
Psa 16:11
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

NLT

2008/1/29 3:42Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

We meditate upon these verses at the same time, just one year ago.

Here is a verse that we read this night at our gathering:

1Pe 1:18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your [b]futile way of life inherited from your forefathers[/b],
1Pe 1:19 but with [b]precious blood[/b], as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1Pe 1:18 For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the [b]empty life you inherited from your ancestors.[/b] And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver.
1Pe 1:19 He paid for you with the precious lifeblood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God.

2008/12/31 18:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy